Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #1

Newbie with Shuttle Bus Insurance ?

Thinking of buying a e450 shuttle bus for a camper conversion. I don’t plan to go full out RV with shower/toilet or even a full kitchen. Will probably have a genny and microwave and a couple of futons or hideabed couches.

I have been reading that people have issues insuring them. Sounds like commercial policy is the way to go but people seem terrified to insure them through commercial as a bus? I am unsure why? I currently have a F450 flatbed truck insured via progressive commercial because the regular insurance will not cover anything larger than a 1 ton. The commercial insurance is pretty cheap (something like $200 per year) but sadly not as cheap as the Ford L8000 that I had insured through them years ago.

The shuttle bus is only rated at 14K# and with seating less than 13, there is no need to have a CDL to operate.

What am I missing? Help me before I buy something I will regret. Why are people afraid to insure via commercial policy? Is it substantially more than a RV?

imabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Some of us have been using buses for years registering and insuring them as vans or RVs, with no problems. True, most of us have the Progressive commercial policy now and it's usually not that expensive.

For me, all of us having to go to one insurer doesn't make sense in a free society. Where's the competition? Why just Progressive? I know there are a few people with buses insured through other companies but that's relatively rare.

Concerning your e450, there are a few people here that like them. You wouldn't be headed toward one of those V-10s would you?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Some of us have been using buses for years registering and insuring them as vans or RVs, with no problems. True, most of us have the Progressive commercial policy now and it's usually not that expensive.

For me, all of us having to go to one insurer doesn't make sense in a free society. Where's the competition? Why just Progressive? I know there are a few people with buses insured through other companies but that's relatively rare.

Concerning your e450, there are a few people here that like them. You wouldn't be headed toward one of those V-10s would you?

Yes it is the V10 model. I don't know much about the v10's. The van has about 175K miles on it. I plan to go look at it tonight to evaluate if it is something that I really want to do.

I know the gas engine is going to get terrible gas mileage much like my F450 with the 460 gas. My F450 will get 8 at best and typically about 6-7. I don't plan to drive it a lot. In reality it will be 10-15 weekend trips per year.

My brother offered me his 40' ford bluebird (mid 70's) with the 391 industrial engine. He abandoned that project and I have the freshly rebuilt engine and transmission in my shop to put it back together. It is a upgraded 391 with the higher compression 390 pistons and upgraded cam. All new goodies. I am considering it but I don't think it would be in the wife's wheelhouse for driving it.
imabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

True, the cutaway vans are easy to drive. Most people here would suggest you look at GM cutaways.

Many times I wish my bus was shorter.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

The V10 is supposed to get better fuel mileage, as compared to the 460. That 460 IS a fuel drinkin' thang! With proper maintenance the 10 should last 250-300k miles. IMO
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

It's interesting to hear the differing opinions about the V-10. There certainly are a lot of Ford cutaways on the market.