Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

Noob looking for a cheap bus

Of course that is probably what everyone wants ;). My wife is not convinced this is a good idea, but she let's me indulge in things. One criteria is it not look like a school bus, so I need to find a pusher or old transit. I am in NC, been watching ebay, craigs and govdeals. Anyone know where else I might look to find one for about $1000? Don't mind doing work to get it in shape, and if close enough I will have it towed. I want this to be a project for me and my boys to teach them how to do things and do them cheaply. I already have a donor stove-top with counter I got for free. I will be looking for other items as well. I prefer to recycle stuff people are going to send to either the dump or junk yard.

haarvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Noob looking for a cheap bus

You definitely want a schoolie, not a transit!

I drive transit bus and know a few other drivers from around country. Believe me when I say we drive the life out of them before they are sold at surplus. Now, there are the rare exceptions, but don't take the chance.
Get a nice used skoolie and paint it
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have looked at both of those sites, so it looks like I have found the best ones for finding buses short of finding an owner looking to sell. For those of you who do have one, do you prefer diesel or gas and why?
haarvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

While TWE has an International 345 gasser that I am quite satisfied with, my next bus will have a diesel in it for potentially longer road life and definitely better mileage.