Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Not to beat a dead horse.....

Its very possable. I am trying to find the picture of it, thought it was Steve, but guess not... Still looking for it.

But, the generals of it were...

The wall outlets were connected down the length of an extension cord. This cord is then plugged into one of two wall outlets that one is connected to external power/generator, and the other is the internal inverter.

When you want to run off your genny, you just switch the cord over to the Gen Plug, when you want inverted battery power, switch to its plug. It guarantees that you cant have both external and internal power sources working at the same time, just as you want.

Someone will post a better description and probably the pics that I am having trouble finding.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I think you might benefit best from a setup like I have. My bus has three distinct circuits (front lighting, rear lighting and etc, and front outlets). Each drops down into the electrical compartment separately. All my wiring was done with cut up extension cords as this is a very economical means of getting the stranded wire required for mobile wiring. The other benefit is that I could make each leg a different color for identification purposes. I then simply plug them into my inverters. In the compartment there is also a 4 outlet box wired up. Off the backside of the box comes a short cord that drops out of the compartment, effectively making the whole unit a 24 inch long extension cord with a 4 way splitter on the end. I can also plug my circuits into this box which can then be plugged into a generator or shore power. I can also mix and match, running one circuit off the generator and another off the inverters (which are hard wired to my house battery bank). In no way can I end up with floating neutrals or anything that can cause a zapping. The only downside is that I have to kill the power to the circuit to change from inverter power to shore power by physically unplugging it. Of course, this is just another assurance that no dangerous backfeeds can occur.

In the picture you can see the colorful cords coming down from the circuits in the bus. They are plugged into the gang box which is in turn plugged into shore power, but I could just as easily move them to the inverters. Ignore all the big red wires hanging around...those were my unorganized power feeds to the inverters.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I like that you were braiding the cords, do you have a pic of them completed?

Can you give a link for your Bus topic, if you have one, so we can read more about your cords?.. this way I dont ask questions like, where did you get those groovy cords...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

The best rv electric drawing

This is a drawing I have copied in the past. Any portion can be used as needed. Drawing created by a solar dealer. Frank
Attached Thumbnails
ElecDiagram .gif  
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote