Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Off Grid Water

Quote:
Sorry if your beliefs didn't hold water.......
You're a bad boy.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

I'll chime in.
This is what I have used and lived off of, on a 9 day deep wood search. Light, dependable and will provide enough potable water for our team. Very pricey. It is a desalinator

Thanks to the folks at home land security money, we have been using this product with great results. I hav'nt cooked with any of it (yet) but it is a good hydrator. A whole lot cheaper, Though alot bulkier.

http://www.htiwater.com/documents/HydroWell.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
katadyn 35.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks to the folks at home land security money, we have been using this product with great results. I hav'nt cooked with any of it (yet) but it is a good hydrator. A whole lot cheaper, Though alot bulkier.

I have some pouches that use the same technology but I think you end up with a sports drink. How much does that Katadyn pump cost?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

I have some pouches that use the same technology but I think you end up with a sports drink. How much does that Katadyn pump cost?
Yes the Hydrowell produces a "sports drink"

The Dept. price fro the Katadyn was $1700.00 I think it retails around $2k
Old 05-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #25

Won't be only my shopping list anytime soon.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

I can hear the Ennio Morricone music.....
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Smitty, just build a coil that goes into your stove to heat the water and tie it into your own still. Of course that would only work when you actually need to heat the bus, in the summer you may have to move the coil to an outside source.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
I'm afraid you've "busted" nothing. Well I guess because some petulie oil wearing hippies experiment won't supply their commune then it has to be true, geez since you told me that now I'm SURE we're doomed Oh, Solar is only ONE form of distillation (ever drink any 'shine?). Now you're just trying to twist things to attempt to support your beliefs, sorry your uninformed feelings got hurt, but nothing's changed. No shortage of water on this planet and never will be.........perhaps you should believe less of what the gov & hippies say, and believe more of what's real.

Smitty

Why are you so stereotypical? Did you look at the farm site? Just because they may be hippies doesnt mean their sucess at a solar still is an "experiment" obviously they did their research and their organization is not some thrown together commune. Think about it. In the few pages that make up this thread we have all seen that distallation and desalinization most likely are not cost effective on large scale. And its a fact, that in the world there are people without fresh water to drink.

I am a fellow conspiracy theorists too. I dont care to have anything that I do in life regulated by government. But open your mind a little.

As far as there being no shortage. Water is a resource just like any other. The more people on earth the more that resource is consumed. Yes water and piss are recycled through evaporation and fall as rain. However the amount of water on earth is not increasing while the population of people is. And large amounts of water are undrinkable due to human pollution,natural disaster, or some other variable. Hopefully that answers your question of where the water is going.

You do not have to agree but you use sarcasm as a defense mechanism and that just ruins it for me, cause I enjoy sarcasm.
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

if you are gonna go fishin im commin two and im thirsty,ill bring the beer! I live on off-grid water,the only grid action is the pump that brings it too me.It never drys up and i get it from my land.Ive done this for 20 years,im gettin old
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
And zman18, lol....what did I "stereotype"? Hippies? If you're so proud to be a Hippie....why take offense to being called one?

Who else is a "conspiracy theorist"? I'm not....I believe what I see, what adds-up & makes sense. If it talks like a duck & walks like a duck....it's a duck. And your attempt at an explanation as to the water "shortage" is BS.....water doesn't disappear as you claim. If it does as you claim....where does it go?
Its kida hard to answer you when youre all over the place, you would probably make a great politician though. I dont believe I typed anything about me being a hippie. I merely made an observation that based on the website Lily posted http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sstill.htm and http://www.thefarm.org/charities/ you may have assumed this organization consists of
Quote:
some petulie oil wearing hippies experiment
when it seems that they are quite knowledgable on the subject. (Stereotyping)

Secondly I dont believe I typed that water just disappears. Here is a diagram because it seems you didnt understand my explaination.

Now based on this diagram the earth's fresh water supply is self-replenishing. Meaning there is no outside source of water, therefore the water supply is a fixed amount. We can relate this fixed amount of water to an increasing population of people who use water, then calculate variables such as; water undrinkable due to natural disaster, pollution, etc... Then we can make a hypothesis based on this information......Perhaps at this rate our earth may run out of usable drinking water.

Lastly your question. Well as you have stated so many times the obvious answer is to create some type of still. As some reasearch in this thread points out distilling salt water is not very efficient note this video you posted. I suppose if a person is thinking only of themselves and is in a survival situation, where one needs only enough to hold on the some thread of existence, then yes whatever type of still you could rig up will keep you going for a while.
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
...Oh, jkindt....you need to learn how a still works

Smitty
Well, I guess that would depend on what style of 'still we are talking about. I do know that in order to distill water, you need to make steam.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

In the marine world a fresh water still is called an evaporator. Sea water is heated to apx. 165 F and boiled at 26" of vacuum. Usaually several stages. One third of the saltwater is ejected as brine. The energy cost is the phase change from liquid to gas, and for water that's pretty steep--and costly.

RO units use high pressure to force water through a special membrane (and waste brine too).

Ain't no free lunch.

The U.S. has a lot of fresh water--mostly in the Great Lakes. The states around 'em seem somewhat reluctant to ship it to L.A. though.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote