Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Offering Advice on Spare Tires - from experience!

I've driven on one tire plenty of times, always empty in out-of-service buses. At my last job, we drove them to the junkyard like that all the time. City transit agencies often auction them off like that, with a disclaimer that the vehicles aren't in roadworthy condition. Drive slow, go easy on the corners (not sure about the physics of taking a corner with the outside dual missing, but I wasn't taking a chance). If a rear tire blows on a highway with no shoulders, the lesser of two evils is to drive on 5 to a safe place and change it. In a school bus, they tell us it's okay to drive a short distance on 5 tires with kids aboard, just to get to a safe place to wait for help.

With that said, the varying weight of a conversion (especially with full water tanks) can be dangerous, even if it doesn't overload the capacity of the remaining tires. Also, a blowout can damage the sidewall of the tire next to it, putting more stress on the tire carrying more weight.

One more thing, any item placed in the rear overhang will not only place its own weight on the rear axle, it will also shift some of the weight from the front axle. A 1,000 lb appliance centered over the rear wheel will put 1,000 lbs on the rear wheel. A 1,000 lb appliance in the back corner will place more than 1,000 lbs on the rear wheel, and pull the difference off the front.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

the singles on a dualie must be a trend. seen a few cube vans going around with just the outside duals on.. dunno what reason for..

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I posted this over on the short bus forum:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6321

I had 20 years on the road with my cube van-I would never dream driving around without a spare. I had 4 tires blow out on 4 consecutive trips on the rear (I will NEVER buy a Firestone tire again! Plenty of tread and always fully inflated-tread seperation-just like on the Ford Explorers.) There would be no limping to the next town-the big flap of tread beat the hell out of the wheel well. There was a thick piece of metal acting like a mud flap-the loose rubber filpped it around on top of the tire once-took over an hour to get the tire off.
Alot comes down to just common sense-do you ever check you pressure? Have you ever tried to remove a tire in your driveway when you have time and not traffic zooming past you? I just did all this-found one of my (rubber) valve stems on an inside wheel was leaking-I chanced to metal ones + put on those hose thingies so you can get air to inside wheel easier. I also cleaned the threads on the lugs and put never-sieze on them and torqued them to spec. If I ever need to remove them, I'll have a far better chance than a lugnut that has been rusted on for years.
Hopefully being this prepared means I'll never need to change one. Isn't that how it works?

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

For me, carrying a spare is a must. I dont wander the roads, I always have a destination and more often than not a time schedule. A flat tire, a wait for road service, a limp into the next town to search for a 8-19.5...burnin' daylight!

Limp to a safe spot and change the darned thing! I can do a tire change on the spot in less than 30 minutes start to finish, just moved 4 of them around the other day in 105deg heat index. Not fun, but no worse than spending an hour in the same heat mowing the lawn!

I figure the weight of the tire, jack and stands at about 2.5% of the vehicle weight, negligible effect on mileage.

But, to each his own!
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
by sdwarf36 Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 am
Quote:
also cleaned the threads on the lugs and put never-sieze on them and torqued them to spec.
Ahh, what did your torque them to. The listed lugnut torques are for dry nuts.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I don't think we could change the tire on our bus. For starters, I can never get the silly things off (I do not weigh 200 lbs!) much less maneuver one of the tires into position... I can't get the tires off my Jeep and we carry a breaker bar for that. With my luck, David's back would go out just as he's ALMOST got it into place. Which would leave yours truly to change the tire. I know how, I just don't think I'm physically capable anymore (Does this mean I'm getting old or wise???) . The tires on the Class C are an handful (16.5X8?) and we've changed tires on it twice. So we will need to get a road service.

For those of you who might be traveling around Chattanooga and have bus trouble.. includes tires... the little yellow accident response truck is qualified to change tires on buses... that includes the big highway coaches. They know a bit about diesel engines too. So if you breakdown on the road, call the HP to send them or flag them down. They are great and the service is free (unless they have to provide an item). There should be same around the bigger cities in TN (at least there was when we left).
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Ob1
Skoolie

Tire changing tip!

Dont lift the tire onto the axle/hub!

After removing the bad tire, lower the jack so the axle/hub is a little below the natural ride height. Roll the tire into the wheel well, Center it on the axle/hub with the top tilted inward. If it is a stud mount {no hub}, maneuver the tire so the top stud peeks through the hole, top tilted inward.

Raise the jack slowly with small lifts until the wheel just slides into place. If it is a dual, now is the time to work the 2nd tire on.

Dont lift the tire, let the jack put the vehicle exactly where you need it!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Quote:
by sdwarf36 Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 am
[quote:3vz58ont]also cleaned the threads on the lugs and put never-sieze on them and torqued them to spec.
Ahh, what did your torque them to. The listed lugnut torques are for dry nuts.[/quote:3vz58ont]

Good point-didn't take that into account. But I'd bet its whole life the lugs were "torqued" by air gun. "chuk chuk chuk-that should hold them."

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

Kal-Tire gave me crap for having copper coat on the lug nuts. said to never use that stuff. I know you need it a little or some times the rarely used vehicles hate to part with their nuts

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
Ob1
Skoolie

Have you ever dealt with the effects of their sudden disappearance?

Dont lube your lugs!