Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Offering Advice on Spare Tires - from experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I carry a mounted spare & tools to change it. Would never even DREAM of not carrying it. Used it twice on my B700.

DO NOT DRIVE ON ONE DUAL TIRE! THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND COULD CAUSE A FATAL WRECK! ONE TIRE OF A PAIR OF DUALS IS NOT ABLE TO SAFELY CARRY THE WEIGHT OF A CONVERTED BUS!

You have more than 7000 lbs on that corner? esp rear? highly doubt that. The load rating for a tire like that is about 6000 to 7000 lbs. Driving high speeds will heat the tire up faster but it would not be over loaded.
The load rating of my tires (11R22.5) is about 6200lbs. I will certainly have over 12,400lbs on my rear axle with full water tanks!

And, of course, without a spare, you are at the mercy of the guy from Ben Dover's Tire Service, who is demanding $700 for the tire he brought (a bald Chinese trailer tire with a nice gash in it), plus another $300 if you actually want it INSTALLED. Cash only, of course!

By the time the tire guy shows up (if he does), ready to cross-thread lugs and hammer nuts on with a 1" impact (we don't need no stinkin' torque specs!), I can have a tire changed, flat in the carrier, tools away, myself cleaned up, and be back on the road.

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1
Have you ever dealt with the effects of their sudden disappearance?

Dont lube your lugs!

nope. but then i dont go apeshit with the lube either. just enough so they dont rust on. I apply it mostly around where the rim contacts the hub.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1
Have you ever dealt with the effects of their sudden disappearance?

Dont lube your lugs!
Or your nuts!!!!!!!