Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Oil changes

When your bus needs an oil change were do you take it? Loves and TA truck stops seem to big ones have you used any, what was your outcome?

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I did my last oil change in the parking lot of O'Reilly's. It took 24 minutes to do.
I did take it the first time to a diesel mechanic shop - but it cost over $300.
The O'Reilly's Parking lot Oil Change cost me $89 - and they took the old oil for me.

Truck stops are okay - but often there is a long wait - depending on truck traffic.
And local diesel mechanic may be a better option than a truck stop - if you decide not to do it yourself.

Note: It was so much easier than I thought it would be to do it myself - one oil filter, 5 gallons of 15/40 diesel oil, oil filter wrench, and a bucket.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i change the oil and fuel filters every year at my place, I've never put more than 3 thousand a year on it. blow out the air filter and check the gauge if it has one. look at the belts. after a long drive i set a white sheet under my engine/transmission and look for any new leaks. while your in there check everything look at everything and study it, your more likely to spot something out of place. open your hood at every stop and just look and listen while checking your fluids you need to become familiar with the engine compartment and whats what, it will save you in the end. good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
i do my own, every spring, or every 5000kms, so sometimes its twice a year. Don't forget to grease, there's lots of zerk fittings ,
gbstewart
Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Just a note to say that Thomas stress that you do not blow out the air-filter. Just leave it alone until the gauge tells you to change it.

Other makers might take a different view.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Totally agree with most all of the posts above. You don't want the first time you've seen the dirty side of your bus to be when something breaks in the middle of nowhere and there's no one available to fix it. Besides, as you get to know your vehicle and what's "normal", detecting issues before they become ISSUES is more likely. Since most of us aren't in the luxury motorcoach crowd, and are more into sustainability and self sufficiency - changing the oil is certainly one of the first steps in becoming more mechanically proficient.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Thanks guys for your feedback, I know the dirty side of bus well, I do all my own work on my cars etc.

It's more about just getting it done, I am driving the bus 1200 miles on a trip and I won't have time to do it myself, plus I want fuel filters done and even just a simple safety check before I head out. The oil thats in there is over a year old but only has like 1500 miles on it. Fuel filters are likely two years old but again have pretty low millage!

Ya prices are about 300 from what I have seen, not super bad considering it takes like 7 gallons
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Thanks guys for your feedback, I know the dirty side of bus well, I do all my own work on my cars etc.

It's more about just getting it done, I am driving the bus 1200 miles on a trip and I won't have time to do it myself, plus I want fuel filters done and even just a simple safety check before I head out. The oil thats in there is over a year old but only has like 1500 miles on it. Fuel filters are likely two years old but again have pretty low millage!

Ya prices are about 300 from what I have seen, not super bad considering it takes like 7 gallons
Good luck...considering all the great advice offered thus far...put your money on the table and your hands in your pocket...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote