Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Oil in the coolant?

good luck coolant in the oil is usually a blown head gasket, or some other place , cracked head or block, plus you need to get the coolant out of it before it destroys the engine.
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466

I'm not an expert but I looked in my I.H. DT466 service manual & lube oil in coolant or coolant in lube oil it says posiable causes , cracked cylinder head, block, or leaking cylinder head gasket, leaking injector sleeve, defective oil cooler, or intercooler, defective air compressor, I'm omitting the one other cause it lists because the cat 3208 does not have sleeves. hope this helps, hopefully just a leaking head gasket
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

The mechanic didn't notice anything odd with the coolant? It just showed up on the analysis? Sounds like a small amount. Does the fluid analysis say just how much oil is in the coolant?

I would think a very small amount of oil could find it's way into the coolant innocently enough. I would definitely find out the source to be sure!

-Ray
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride

I've never had a 3208 but I do have 9 diesels that I maintain and 5 of those have air brakes. If you have "trace amounts" of oil in your cooling system, I would first flush the whole system real good and install 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze ( outside temp permitting) and run it for at least an hour, park it and let it cool overnight and check it again the next day.

This is to make sure someone didn't mistakenly add oil to the coolant b4 they realized their mistake. Then if you find NEW oil mixed with your coolant start with the air compressor. Most compressors use the main engines antifreeze to keep it cool. Some even use the engines oil for lube, while others may not. I believe the 3208 Cat has an externally mounted compressor.

If you have globs of oil in the antifreeze, I would start with the engine oil cooler and look for tiny pin holes in the casing. More then likely the cause is from a lack of SCA additive in the coolant. More often then not, you would get antifreeze INTO the oil. If all this is above you skill comfort level, take it to a truck repair shop and first have them pressure test the cooling system.

Oil added to coolant by mistake, Air compressor, or Oil cooler. These are the most common causes I would look at b4 getting into major engine work.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Bus Nut

have the coolant analyzed to determine if it is engine or trans oil contamination, then start with a good flush of the cooling system,
you probably have a cooler issue which is easiest and least costly to remedy.
IIRC the engine oil cooler is a plate type cooler directly above the oil filter, remove it and have a radiator shop pressure test it, they will determine if it can be repaired or if replacement is the best solution.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote