Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Old Skool's Got brake lights !!!

Hey All...

Just a short update this evening...
I finally got the brake lights on "Shorty" workin' right yesterday...
I removed the old switch and took it to the parts house... of course it was obsolete. Ford used a similar brake switch up to '67 on their light duty trucks (F-100 to F-350) and on their medium-heavy duty trucks from 65-78.
The first switch I tried was nearly the same as the old switch except that it had male spade connectors instead of wires. It looked like it would work however when I installed it, the lights would come on but not shut off. I could not figure it out... I put it in the same way as I took it out. Evidently, the PO had his hand on this piece as well. It was installed incorrectly so when I replaced it, I also installed it wrong. After doing some research, I learned how it was supposed to be installed. When I tried to install it correctly, I found out the new switch would not work for my application. By the time the female spade connectors were attached the switch was too long to fit the correct way. I took the switch back and got a 2nd switch. The second switch was beefier and better made. I was able to solder two wire leads to it with no problem. With that done, it installed easily and worked properly.
I also purchased and installed a custom headlight wiring harness that was made specifically for my bus. It replaces the stock harness with a harness that has a seperate relay for each light and attaches to the positive side of the starter cylinoid. The new harness sends a full 12 volts to the head lights instead of the stock 8-9 volts. The increase in voltage results in much brighter headlights. I highly recommend one of these harness' for anyone restoring an older vehicle.
I have posted some new pictures of the Olde Skool project on my weshots accout... to view them, just follow the link below.

Take care,
KaptnKAOS

Olde Skool '68 Ford Bluebird bus "Shorty"
https://rides.webshots.com/album/559029491BwEQCZ
KaptnKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Good job, Kap'n!

Voltage drop is the boogaboo you just got rid of with the relays and fresh harness.
My first bus had candles for lights because of it! We're talking about high
resistance in numerous splices and connectors, and each "friction point"
steals voltage like a thief.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Elliot...

Yep... that's about how the headlights were on mine before the new harness. I will have one of them installed on my '68 Ford pickup as well.
The guy who makes them just lives a few miles from me so he can make me one anytime.
I am also going to replace the headlights with some new ones. I could not belive the difference that made on my pickup. One of my light went on it so I replaced it. The new light was so much brighter that I went back and got a second one and replaced the other one too.
I got another set of lights for the back of my bus today. I am still going to use the 55 watt Halogens for back up lights, but wanted something that I could run off of the deep cycle batteries to light up the back "patio" area. I picked up pair of led lights. Each side will have 16 leds. That should give me plenty of low watt lighting.
How much of a hastle is it to extend the bumper out a couple of feet?
I am thinking of moving it out a little bit so I can use that space to mount my propane tank and a couple of 5 gallon gas cans (jeep style).
It is getting late and I gotta get up in the morning for work.

thanks for your input...

Take care,
KaptnKAOS
aka
Allan

Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

I've never extended a bumper, but I've taken them on and off. Typically, they mount to the
end of the frame rails, AND to a point a couple of feet further forward thru the
diagonal braces to the corners of the bumper.

And typically, there is some slop in the mounting holes for adjustment -- and if there
isn't, you can grind some.

So what I would look at as a first possibility, is to add an extension to the frame rail, and
then bolt the bumper right back on. If the extra thickness of the extension
material causes too much trouble, you could extend it twice -- the second
extension returning to the original frame width.

For extension material, it would be nice to use a channel similar to the frame, but... sitting
here in my living room tonight... that seems unrealistic. More realistic is to use flat plate,
maybe half inch thick. At this point, I would stop trying to do everything myself, and let
a steel shop cut the pieces to suitable size AND punch the holes in them. What I think I
would do, is make a plywood template. Take your time, and get it marked just right.
Heck, with plywood, you could even actually mount the bumper. When
everything is honky-dory, disassemble and take the templates to the
steel shop.

Of course, this is easy for me to say, sitting here in my living room with a glass of
Lost Coast's finest Indica Pale Ale and not having to actually do it.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: INternational DTA 360
little off topic

I know this is a little off topic, but how is that lost coast IPA? would you compare it favorably to a humbolt brewery nectar IPA or a russian river brewery Pliny the Elder double ipa? or perhaps a Stone IPA or Ruination
I am so jealouse of you nothern coast guys and your pleathora of awesome breweries. we southerners are catching up but have a long way to go. I'm thinking of driving lola up the San Fran this July 21 for the New Belgian Brewery Tour De Fat bicycle and brew extravavaganzy. I think one of your human powered art works would go awesomely there.
Here's the link: http://www.newbelgium.com/vibe_tourdefat_sf_07.php

or through the San Fran bike coalition:
http://www.sfbike.org/?fat

By the way Captain, Thanks for the tip on the headlight harness, Mine is as dim as a red dwarf star. I just mounted 4 white halogen fog lights to the front bumper in those funny little rectangular holes that seem purpose made for mounting fog lights:

It was the difference between dusk and day.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Alas, I don't know beers -- I just know what I like when I taste it. And even that depends
greatly on the circumstances of the situation -- what I'm eating, level
of physical activity etc.

One day a beer tastes real good after mowing the lawn, and the next day a bottle right out of
the same case doesn't taste worth a hoot after sitting around and typing all day. I've found
these circumstances to be more important to my choice of beverages than minor
variations among the beverages themselves.

For the record, the beer in question is named Indica, and it is of the type India Pale Ale.
Lost Coast Brewery is in Eureka, CA, and is the "official" beer of Kinetic Sculpture Racing.
Famed racer and artist Duane Flatmo painted the labels, and famed racers and
artists Ken & June live and work upstairs in the Lost Coast building. Many of us
eat there the first night of the Grand Championship. (The second evening is
a camp out.)

Indica is what I call a fork-eatin' beer. I mean this is the same positive sense as a soup full
of much goodies and little water is a fork-eatin' soup. I like to "chew" a sip of Indica
before I swallow it. Unfiltered, very hoppy. Sorry I have no way to compare
it with those others. I guess I have to admit I'm just not much of a drinker.

Alas -- 21 July I'll be racing in Corvallis, Oregon.

Warning: Thread drift in progress!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
http://www.anacortesrockfish.com/ while I don't drink, this heres the best beer around *S* course I work there sooooooo
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I don't drink alcohol anymore... nearly 13 years now.

But, I do dearly love an ice cold Kaliber anytime and anywhere.
For those of you that aren't familiar with Kaliber, it is the non-alcoholic version of Guiness. It's brewed the same but has had the alcohol removed. It has the same rich flavor of Guiness stout and can be served either ice cold (my preference) or room temp in Euro fashion...
There is no comparison between Kaliber and O'Douls or any other NA brews. It would be like comparing a pedal car to a nitro powered funny car... they're in differant leagues completely...

KaptnKAOS

Old 05-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Oooo, I'll have to try that Kaliber - specially since I am often the Designated Driver!

And I've often thought of passing up the alcoholic beverages completely, since I have seen
so much of the trouble they can cause. I count myself extremely lucky that I don't seem
to be prone to alcohol addiction. And I'm such a control freak that I don't even like
drinking very much, because then I am not In Charge!

Now, Ice Cream, THAT I have a problem with.

Whose thread did we highjack this time?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
The thread? If ya take yer beer goggles off , you can see & follow KaptnKAOS' brake lights back to it!

"Honesht Oshiffer, I'm not under the alfluensh of incahol the way shome thinkle peep I am, and I'll walk that white line for ya if you jusht hold it shteady for me!"

p.s. I've been on the wagon now since 1982! That Kaliber sounds like a good NAB to try (I haven't lost my taste for beer , I just don't drink it any more (& don't say any less, either , I don't at all).
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Yes, but it wasn't a beer thread when the Kap'n started it! So I guess we highjacked his topic.

I used to work for a man who came in drunk around 10 every day, then went to lunch and
came back around 3 even worse. And he joked about it -- 100 % denial. He had grown
people in tears around the office almost every day. He cost us a lot of business,
cussing people out on the telephone -- customers!

And I could write a book full of people like that.

Then, once in a while there is a bright spot. We have a driver who spent time in prison and
generally boogered up his life somthing awful -- largely thru drink. Today he is one of
our most loyal and reliable employees. And I think he works at that, every
day, and my hat's off to him -- and anyone else who has beaten that problem.

Now, if we want to REALLY start something, we could get into the drugs that are NOT
sold in the grocery store.

I used to hire our drivers, and.... Well, another time.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
. . .Then, once in a while there is a bright spot. We have a driver who spent time in prison and generally boogered up his life somthing awful -- largely thru drink. Today he is one of our most loyal and reliable employees. And I think he works at that, every day, and my hat's off to him -- and anyone else who has beaten that problem. . .
I've been there, but for standing up for how we (my wife & I) should raise our children, not because of alcohol.

Quote:
Now, if we want to REALLY start something, we could get into the drugs that are NOT sold in the grocery store. . .
Um. . .yeah. . .lot's of experience on that road too, back in my younger days of stupidity. (I'm MUCH older and clean now, but haven't kicked the stupid yet , but I'm grateful for having come through as unscathed as I have! )

OOPS ! Sorry KaptnKAOS! Glad to know ya got those brake lights working again!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

backatcha

Hey guys,

You know, I really don't mind where this thread has gone at all...
For the past 10+ years, I have worked at a drug and alcohol treatment program. I started out as a Treatment Attendant (the entry level position at the center) and am now the Intake Coordinator. I have a very short chain of command... Our Director -> My Supervisor (RN and Counsellor) -> me (Intake Coordinator). My office is the hub of our program.
The center is owned by the Squaxin Island Tribe here in WA. While it is primarily a Native American program, it is not necessary that one be Indian to attended.
Since beginning my sobriety (12+ years ago), I have helped literally hundreds of men and women get into our program where they can help dealing with the issues that lead to addiction and get their lives back.
I have seen many miracles as well as felt the disappointment when people go back to using.
Most people don't realize that drug or alcohol addiction is really not the problem, it is simply one of the symptoms of a much deeper problem.
I get to read each person's story before they enter into our program... believe me, most of us have never had to deal with the pain that many of our clients have experienced in the thier lives. I have often been touched so deeply by the stories that it has brought a tear to my eye and welling up in my throat more times than I care to count.
In most cases, a person begins to use beyond casual social use, as away to medicate undelt with pain. They simply use the substance to mask the hurt and make life bearable. It works for a while... soon however, it takes more and more of the chosen substance to get the same numbing effect... soon it doesn't work at at all and one moves to another more affective way of medicating away the pain...
The primary causes for the pain they are trying to numb themselves from most often include, unresolved grief and loss,(death, divorce and abandonment) and abuse issues (sexual, physical and emotional).
Having this basic understanding of the addictive mind set has not only allowed me to be a better advocate for our patients, but has helped me heal from my own personal baggage, and made me a much better person because of it.

Thanks for allowing the privilage of introducing myself...
KaptnKAOS
aka
Allan

Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Well, now that we're off topic I'll chime in. I've been on the wagon for 3 1/2 years now. One of the best decisions of my life (next to building a skoolie)
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
Bus Nut

BRAVO! to both of you, and to all the others who've licked & kicked it, and are moving forward with their lives!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Old Skool's Got brake lights !!!

One important thing I have to add:

PLEASE DO NOT MOUNT GAS CANS OR PROPANE TANKS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE REAR BUMPER! THE RESULT COULD BE A TRAGEDY!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Old Skool's Got brake lights !!!

Actually, my plan is to extend the bumper out 2 feet.
Then fill the gap with either tongue and groove flooring or steel plate so I can mount a propane tank and a couple of 5 gal gerry cans in the back. It seems that having them mounted like that, there might be a little danger involved.
But don't really see how it would be any more dangerous than driving a standard auto.

KaptnKAOS