Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Older bus requirements(bug out bus)

In the good old days we called 'em fallout shelters.

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
The house next door to my daughters house has a fall-out shelter. Considering that the town is in central NM and close to White Sands, Los Alamos, Trinity Site and all that, it's not that surprising. The town even has a chunk of bomb (Jumbo) from Trinity Site in the Plaza.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yeah, I know a guy that on one summer vacation his Dad and convinced him to help dig a hole for a swimming pool in the backyard. When the hole was dug the Dad constructed a plywood box in the hole, and back filled. The guy said his Dad's bomb shelter was very good at growing mushrooms. Ah, those Cold War memeories. Kids today have no idea.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

We are on a small farm in Kentucky and will likely stay here most of the time. The bus is to be rigged in case circumstances require us to leave. For example if the grid goes down due to either an EMP or CME virtually all the nuclear plants will meltdown. Fukushima times several hundred. In that case we are heading for the southern hemisphere. The buss will allow us to get used to living in such a boat-like space and allow to move quickly if needful. Drifting, drifting away...
revoltindevelopments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
The house next door to my daughters house has a fall-out shelter. Considering that the town is in central NM and close to White Sands, Los Alamos, Trinity Site and all that, it's not that surprising. The town even has a chunk of bomb (Jumbo) from Trinity Site in the Plaza.
There's a subdivision in metro Denver that offered houses with a fallout shelter. I've been to one. The shelter is a small concrete bunker about 4 steps down. The concrete top slab was at ground level. The give away was a vent stack.

In 1958, an enterprising builder named Jack Hoerner began the construction of Allendale Heights, a housing subdivision in the Denver suburb of Arvada, located 12 miles southeast of the Rocky Flats Plant. Rocky Flats was one of the nearly two dozen U.S. government nuclear weapon production facilities dotted across the nation's belly that fed the arms race during the Cold War - an open secret, then a controversial source of the income that fed most of my neighbors.

The 15 "Titan" home sites (named for the newly developed intercontinental ballistic missile), each with its own built-in A-bomb haven, still stand. Back then, the bomb was on everyone's mind, and Hoerner wrung full sales potential out of it. At the opening of the subdivision on Aug. 23, 1959, Colorado Governor Steve McNichols, Denver Mayor Dick Atterton, Arvada Mayor Gail Gilbert and 2,000 or so of the curious toured our future home.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote