Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Skoolie

Olympic Interior/Exterior Alkyd

I'm not sure if this is across the board, but it seems that all of the Lowe's and Home Depots in Texas have stopped carrying the tintable Rustoleum. I also haven't had any luck with XO Rust. So I've been looking at alternatives. I've heard epoxy costing will chaulk and from the reading here, enamels and alkyds are the way to go.

While looking for some other items, I found some paint at Lowe's that I think will work. It's not Rustoleum, so I've started just covering any (formerly) rusty areas with Rustoleum Primer first. This is what they recommended for industrial applications. It's made by PPG, so I assume it's good stuff. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Here's what I already found online about it:

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/prem7.htm

http://www.epinions.com/content_197833952900

The key for me is that it's tintable. I'm shooting for a custom color scheme and since they can tint it to 1200 colors, I think I can get pretty close to my original colors of choice.

I'm interested in any feedback or recomendations that anyone may have. Thanks again and happy tailgating.

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
paint

I found a commercial implement paint that is supposed to be the next notch above your regular paints like Rust-oleum, TSC, etc. It is sprayable, tintable, reasonably inexpensive and I found it at my local auto parts store supplying body repair products. Call or drop by one of them (Car Quest has it or ask around until you find one) and ask about PPG "modified enamel". You can shoot it straight or thin it with acetone up to 10% and it's pretty easy to spray, does dry slow though (no hardner is available but it should stick better that way) and it is only $35 a gallon. Don't paint when it is 104 like I did, it took forever to get hard. We had trouble taping over it for the next color so I reccommend a week between tapings or just be sure it's set up HARD before putting tape on top of it (my painter didn't follow directions and thinned it to much and I think that didn't help). Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote