Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #41
Almost There

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD (Bluebird?)
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Will be diesel
Rated Cap: As big as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I think it's a solid plan. One tank for both black and grey water. Using the Hepvo trap for the grey drains will prevent the smell from coming back and alleviate the need for p-traps. You may have to dump the tank a tad more often but I don't think it would be that noticeable.
Thanks for the endorsement! But I really don't see the need for more dumping, just the opposite. See my post on 10-11-18 @ 8:34 pm.

Also, not only does the the HEPvO valve keep the smell in-tank, but also the water and other little things.

IDK about anyone else, but when I use the RV style toilet I tend to put quite a bit of water in when I flush. If I had this setup I wouldn't worry about adding extra water to the black tank - thereby, saving water.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dub View Post

Thanks for participating, but let's keep this topic a bit more in focus please. Although a Hepvo valve and a combo tank are two different things, they do have a connection (pun intended). And although dumping waste tanks has a connection to the topic as well, this discussion is about the differences between standard waste handling versus the method in question - NOT how to dump that waste.

Thanks for cooperating.
"Separating grey and black water is a different issue. In a pinch, grey water could be drained without using a an RV dump station that is designed to treat black water."

I don't think Replying to this particular statement was off topic but ok.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
"Separating grey and black water is a different issue. In a pinch, grey water could be drained without using a an RV dump station that is designed to treat black water."

Since I made the comment quoted above, I did some thinking considering all comments made in this thread and currently I am leaning towards draining the bathroom/kitchen sinks via HepVo valves into the black water tank under the toilet. The dilution will make the black water easier to empty at the RV dump station.

I may drain the shower water into a separate grey water tank so I can dump that anywhere if waste water capacity is limiting my stays off the beaten path. It is easy to add additional fresh water capacity with jugs at which point the waste water capacity will become the time-limiting factor.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #44
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
Since I made the comment quoted above, I did some thinking considering all comments made in this thread and currently I am leaning towards draining the bathroom/kitchen sinks via HepVo valves into the black water tank under the toilet. The dilution will make the black water easier to empty at the RV dump station.

I may drain the shower water into a separate grey water tank so I can dump that anywhere if waste water capacity is limiting my stays off the beaten path. It is easy to add additional fresh water capacity with jugs at which point the waste water capacity will become the time-limiting factor.
I really don't want to get into this in this thread, but...

Some people consider kitchen and toilet to be "black" and bathroom sink and shower to be "gray". But a strainer in the galley sink accomplishes a lot.

If you use organic, biodegradable soaps and toothpaste and whatever else, you should be able to do what you are saying. Again, if you do this in the galley and use a strainer for food waste, that should work there as well.

As you are saying, another source of water into the black tank is preferable to break up the solid matter. I get where you're coming from in wanting to be able to dump the harmless, or even beneficial water wherever you are boondocking. If it's that big of a deal to you, you might consider the cat box route with filters on the water (and organic/biodegradable products). I did the same mental gymnastics myself and have landed on a single combo tank with no cat box.

However, even while full-timing for a couple of years, I've always been able to find a dump site. Remember, a dump station is nothing more than access to a sewer or septic tank. In the USA, every building needs to have a clean out access point.

You might have to break out a tool. Don't trespass and get beaten up. Restaurants and gas stations are usually the best locations. If the gas station has no dump station in front, look for an access point in back. Be courteous, courageous, and quick! Act like you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Clean-out Access Covers come in different types.

TOOLS

For the square female (flush) caps (be very careful with PVC or plastic caps)

Pipe Wrench - Again, be careful with PVC or plastic caps

Channel Locks

Expensive specialty tool ($50+)

And if money is no object:

There are some styles and tools that I've missed. You get the idea. This is better on the conscience than doing something nasty and illegal.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #45
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post

Well, I broke my own rule and talked about it too. I talk about what to do in a pinch above (or what I've done).

Sorry to be a topic nazi.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I'm no longer sure exactly what is being asked. I have a single 'combo tank' and it works fine with p-traps. I'm not sure why adding a more complicated 'valve' (versus p-trap) is necessary but perhaps there is a reason. Maybe it is for the rig that sees only occasional use (p-traps drying out)?? There may be a situation where a dump station is not available but I have not found in 5 years of full-timing. I can imagine this is a bit more challenging for a rig with a very small tanks, lots of people, or in a very unusual place (where dump sites are few and far between).

Combining black and grey tanks is fairly common on RV's using an additional valve as described in the following link. Hearing about the number of folks doing this was one of the reasons I went with a combo-tank.
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/com...lack-grey-tank

So, what is the question again please??
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #47
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I'm no longer sure exactly what is being asked. I have a single 'combo tank' and it works fine with p-traps. I'm not sure why adding a more complicated 'valve' (versus p-trap) is necessary but perhaps there is a reason. Maybe it is for the rig that sees only occasional use (p-traps drying out)?? There may be a situation where a dump station is not available but I have not found in 5 years of full-timing. I can imagine this is a bit more challenging for a rig with a very small tanks, lots of people, or in a very unusual place (where dump sites are few and far between).

Combining black and grey tanks is fairly common on RV's using an additional valve as described in the following link. Hearing about the number of folks doing this was one of the reasons I went with a combo-tank.
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/com...lack-grey-tank

So, what is the question again please??
I can answer that. Here's the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dub View Post
I'd like to see a discussion on these relatively new valves that allow a one-way flow of fluid through the plumbing. It seems to me that in using these valves one could combine the grey and black water tanks into a single combo tank that holds both grey and black waste water.

When I think about the advantages of a single combo waste water tank, I see how solids would no longer be able to build up as they do in a black water tank. The water from the faucets and shower would work to break up the solid matter. This would mean fewer erroneous readings from the black water tank on your tank level meter.

I think this is a win-win. What do you think?

Please do NOT post about cat boxes (composting toilets). This post is about using water in the plumbing.

Thanks
So, you did that. You joined the conversation.

As to your valve that you shared, it's completely different than what I was asking about. The Wynns are showing how you can use the grey water to rinse the black water tank before dumping both together. He needs to carefully monitor how much water goes into the black tank (as well as the grey) so as to avoid any overflows. And if you don't monitor the levels, you will get poo in the shower (usually the lowest point in the grey water system).

When we replace p-traps with HEPvO valves, we no longer need to worry about back flow into the sink or shower from the holding tank. I assume that when the tank is full the water won't go down the drain and you know you need to dump before the water flows onto the floor. On the other hand, with the Wynns' valve you will get waste water coming up through the p-trap if you overflow the tank. See the difference? One is clean, the other is nasty. In one system (theirs) you use two tanks (black and grey), in the other system you could use one tank (a combo tank) or two.