Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Angry OOPS! Landlord says the bus must go

So my landlord says the bus can't qualify under my lease as a Recreational Vehicle, so I have to find somewhere else to stow it. My bad, I should have verified with him before I made the purchase.

Does anyone in the Everett/Snohomish County area have any good recommendations about where to park it? Preferably low cost and they would allow me to work on the conversion. I have contacted a couple of folks on Craigslist, but they either won't allow work on the bus at their site or are kind of squirrely.

If I have to pay $100 a month for parking, (that's the cheapest professional storage place I have found) I may have to sell it before I really get started on converting it.

OMGIBoughtABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800 AmTran (wish it was a TransAm)
Engine: DT466E
No luck in trying to convince the landlord to change their mind?

I'm 24 and I was living in Kirkland where I work but I moved back home to my parents' house on Tiger Mountain (near Snoqualmie) after my lease was up so I could buy/work on my bus (they have about 5 acres). I spent a moderate amount of time trying to look at RV storage for it closer to Kirkland but like you I found it to be really expensive and you have only limited access to it.

It also sucks that every house within 20 miles of that area is on like .5 acres or less, so you don't really even have the option to barter with people for a spot on their property. Up north where you are you may have more of a chance.

Honestly if your place has enough room to store an RV but they just won't let you because its not "qualified" as a recreational vehicle, I would try to convince the landlord otherwise. Ask them like "well what if it was painted?" because some people just don't like this obnoxious yellow thing but they don't mind a painted one. Or ask what it takes to make it qualified, and then do that work first thing. Let me tell you it is WAY more convenient to just be able to work on it at home where you have easy access to your tools and stuff than having to bring everything and drive all the way to wherever it is stored.
AlbatrossCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Skoolie

I tried convincing him, I told him the plan was to paint it almond this Labor Day weekend when the weather clears back up, even offered to pay an extra $50 in rent for every month it's back there. No dice.

His stated reason is that another tenant put a sailboat in the back yard where he was renting, tore it apart to restore it, then died and the landlord was stuck with the bill trying to get the boat junk off of the property. He's worried I'll get halfway into the conversion and kick the bucket I guess.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGIBoughtABus View Post
I tried convincing him, I told him the plan was to paint it almond this Labor Day weekend when the weather clears back up, even offered to pay an extra $50 in rent for every month it's back there. No dice.

His stated reason is that another tenant put a sailboat in the back yard where he was renting, tore it apart to restore it, then died and the landlord was stuck with the bill trying to get the boat junk off of the property. He's worried I'll get halfway into the conversion and kick the bucket I guess.
What a moron. Everyone dies, just at different times.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome to the club.

I just had to move everything I own again.

Three buses and a shed. Not fun and I'm Fvcking sick of it.

Every time I move something not complete, stuff gets wrecked.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Even out in the country on a "friend's" 20 acres, my bus somehow "gets in the way" and I'm shopping around for somewhere else to keep it.

The bane of bus life is finding somewhere else to park every few months.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Sounds like an opportunity for entrepreneurialism! Of course no one location will suit everyone but that would be cool to have a commercial skoolie-focused storage and conversion center.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Sounds like an opportunity for entrepreneurialism! Of course no one location will suit everyone but that would be cool to have a commercial skoolie-focused storage and conversion center.
Big enough for internal storage -get them out of the elements- and tall enough to put them on lifts to safely get underneath them...

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Skoolie

You are describing an abandonned assembly line.

Detroit must have a few on sale right now...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Skoolie

Found a place to store it and work on it, about half an hour drive from home.

I stacked some 1x6 planks under the driver side wheels to level it a little better for now. I'll get some better leveling blocks for it; I saw some at Walmart that looked like big, flat legos.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #11

You could look for storage units with outdoor RV storage. That's where we're working on ours. We were upfront with the property owner and he was cool with it as long as we didn't leave a mess/oil around.
nickfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Off topic, but I'm in Kirkland! If you need help with your bus I'm a happy pair of hands and could use some experience.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

That's GREAT that you found a spot. To bad it wasn't a closer but 1/2 hr isn't terrible.
Corland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corland View Post
That's GREAT that you found a spot. To bad it wasn't a closer but 1/2 hr isn't terrible.
Thanks

And it's only 10 minutes from work if I get the notion to work on it after the day is done.