Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
What is your price range?

Currently around 2,000. I’m still working and saving to get that number up but would like to stay under 5,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missmichelleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Midwest currently has about 6 84-passenger RE buses @$6500.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmichelleb View Post
Currently around 2,000. I’m still working and saving to get that number up but would like to stay under 5,000.

You can snag a nice bus for that, just know what to look for.
Like this bus you're looking at!
If you can get it for what you're looking to spend it will be a hell of a deal.
I've bid on a couple of those CO buses like that, and always lose to some whitewater rafting company.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You can snag a nice bus for that, just know what to look for.

Like this bus you're looking at!

If you can get it for what you're looking to spend it will be a hell of a deal.

I've bid on a couple of those CO buses like that, and always lose to some whitewater rafting company.

This makes me feel more confident! I’ll let you know how the auction goes. It’s supposed to end tomorrow but I imagine they get extended as it says it can.

I’ve never bid on anything online before so it will be a learning curve for me. There’s about 4 buses that are all very similar.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
This makes me feel more confident! I’ll let you know how the auction goes. It’s supposed to end tomorrow but I imagine they get extended as it says it can.

I’ve never bid on anything online before so it will be a learning curve for me. There’s about 4 buses that are all very similar.

They generally extend only by five minutes. That's certainly true for Public Surplus. Any bid arriving during the final five minutes resets the five minute clock.

I was watching those Crowns yesterday, and one of them ran nearly 30 minutes over due to a couple of bidders fighting over one.

There is a lesson there. Pick your max, and if the other guy wants it more, let him have it. There will always be another bus.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
They generally extend only by five minutes. That's certainly true for Public Surplus. Any bid arriving during the final five minutes resets the five minute clock.

I was watching those Crowns yesterday, and one of them ran nearly 30 minutes over due to a couple of bidders fighting over one.

There is a lesson there. Pick your max, and if the other guy wants it more, let him have it. There will always be another bus.

Great advise! Thank you

Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:

It extends for a few minutes if anyone tries sniping.
I like it.
Listen to Twigg. I do that too, I bid what I'm willing to pay as soon as I "like" a bus. Anyone who wants it then has to pay more than its worth to me.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Can anyone tell me what SFA stands for: 1995 International SS107MD School Bus, SFA, 7.6L L6 DIESEL.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It extends for a few minutes if anyone tries sniping.
I like it.
Listen to Twigg. I do that too, I bid what I'm willing to pay as soon as I "like" a bus. Anyone who wants it then has to pay more than its worth to me.

Awesome! There will always be more buses right?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
getting the bid

Quote:

My first bid on a bus was $6000 on a bus that was going for $4500. It sold for $6000 to a previous bidder. That means we both bid the same amount, or his bid would be increased. I could tell this, and could have put in $6010, and maybe gotten it if he was not online in those last 5 minutes that I bid. But I let him have it.

My second bid for another bus was just over $2100. Sure enough, some one bid $2100 after me. The bid increase amount was either $100 or $500 (I forget now), so it was obvious from my bid amount showing that my bid had been maxed out, because the sale amount was less than $2200. The other bidder let me have it.

Moral of the story: perhaps bidding a few dollars over the "round number" figure that you feel the bus is worth will get you the bus. I got mine sight-unseen from Arizona, where there is no rust. To me, the body is the most important. But this increases the cost of the bus due to travel expenses...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My first bid on a bus was $6000 on a bus that was going for $4500. It sold for $6000 to a previous bidder. That means we both bid the same amount, or his bid would be increased. I could tell this, and could have put in $6010, and maybe gotten it if he was not online in those last 5 minutes that I bid. But I let him have it.

My second bid for another bus was just over $2100. Sure enough, some one bid $2100 after me. The bid increase amount was either $100 or $500 (I forget now), so it was obvious from my bid amount showing that my bid had been maxed out, because the sale amount was less than $2200. The other bidder let me have it.

Moral of the story: perhaps bidding a few dollars over the "round number" figure that you feel the bus is worth will get you the bus. I got mine sight-unseen from Arizona, where there is no rust. To me, the body is the most important. But this increases the cost of the bus due to travel expenses...
I've always "added a bit" to my max bids. Started way back on eBay when I realized you ran into trouble if your max was a round number. So on eBay I always add 53 cents to a maximum, and I have won several auctions by ... 53 cents.

Seems sensible to do the same on bus auctions. I don't want to lose a bus for 53 bucks.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I've always "added a bit" to my max bids. Started way back on eBay when I realized you ran into trouble if your max was a round number. So on eBay I always add 53 cents to a maximum, and I have won several auctions by ... 53 cents.

Seems sensible to do the same on bus auctions. I don't want to lose a bus for 53 bucks.

Great point! I’m excited to bid for the first tiwm

Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what SFA stands for: 1995 International SS107MD School Bus, SFA, 7.6L L6 DIESEL.

I *THINK* "SFA" means Set-back Front Axle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I *THINK* "SFA" means Set-back Front Axle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That raises questions for me, lol. Is there a benefit or down side to that?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
That raises questions for me, lol. Is there a benefit or down side to that?

I am guessing you are looking at a front-engine bus without a hood. It really depends on your "Givens and Druthers". This is a list of your requirements (The "Givens") and preferences ("I'd ruther...") It's different for everyone.

One "Given" for me is lack of room for a full length bus, so I need a shorty. I prefer a bus with a hood (but a short wheelbase bus without a hood could get in my driveway).

The only other "downsides", if you could call them such, is the different steering geometry. You'll have to get accustomed to passing a point before turning the corner. And there's very little frontal crash protection, as opposed to a hood.

The benefits include more usable floor length behind the driver. Some buses of this type are rear-engine, which are said to ride smoother and quieter and cooler (the engine heat is behind you). The rear engine buses usually have more usable underfloor space (often called "Basement"). The engines are somewhat less convenient to service in both arrangements (another reason I prefer a hood).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I am guessing you are looking at a front-engine bus without a hood. It really depends on your "Givens and Druthers". This is a list of your requirements (The "Givens") and preferences ("I'd ruther...") It's different for everyone.

One "Given" for me is lack of room for a full length bus, so I need a shorty. I prefer a bus with a hood (but a short wheelbase bus without a hood could get in my driveway).

The only other "downsides", if you could call them such, is the different steering geometry. You'll have to get accustomed to passing a point before turning the corner. And there's very little frontal crash protection, as opposed to a hood.

The benefits include more usable floor length behind the driver. Some buses of this type are rear-engine, which are said to ride smoother and quieter and cooler (the engine heat is behind you). The rear engine buses usually have more usable underfloor space (often called "Basement"). The engines are somewhat less convenient to service in both arrangements (another reason I prefer a hood).

I’m not committed 100% to the engine placement but I do really like the buses without the hood, extra floor space being the biggest plus. Seems like maybe waiting for a rear engine bus might be better

Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

What you are looking at is a Type 'D' FE bus (FE=front engine, RE=rear engine).

There is no one bus that is the best bus. But there are buses that are better for different applications.

The advantages of the Type 'D' FE bus is with the engine up front the whole interior from the driver's seat back is open for use for living space. Most come with a rear emergency door instead of an emergency exit which can be sort of handy. It is particularly handy when you need to load long stuff or big stuff that won't go around the corner when going through the service door.

The disadvantages of the Type 'D' FE bus is with the engine up front you get to live with all of the heat, noise, and smell of an engine inches from your right foot. It also requires a very long drive shaft down the middle of the bus which does not allow you to build pass through under the floor compartments. The only area under the floor you can use is behind the rear axle and between the skirts and frame rails between the axles. Also, with the majority of the weight of the engine and transmission ahead of the front axle it is very easy to put too much weight on the front axle. All of the heavy stuff like gensets and tanks are best put behind the rear axle to balance out the front weight bias.

Your particular bus doesn't appear to have the 12" windows which means you will only have the 72"-74" ceiling height. If you were planning on raising the roof it doesn't matter. If you are height challenged it still won't be a problem. But if you are tall and intend to put insulation in the floor it could become a problem without a roof raise.

Depending on HP rating and final gear ratio that bus should be good to cruise all day effortlessly at 60 MPH. If it was used as a trip bus it may have faster highway gearing with higher HP that might allow it to cruise in excess of 65 MPH with no problem. Most DT466 equipped buses with the MT643 were geared for top speeds around 60 MPH, particularly if they were 210 HP models.

A CO spe'c bus will be a good bus. The standard equipment will have many of the options that you won't find on buses in the mid-west and southeast. It will have some sort of auxiliary braking system. It might have a Telma Retarder, it might just have a transmission retarder, it might have an exhaust brake, or it might have a combination of all three. In any case, it will get you down any mountain with little to no use of the service brakes.

With the miles indicated retail asking price would be in the $6K-$8K range so if you decide to bid, don't get crazy.

Good luck!

By the way, I have no idea what SFA in the description might mean but set back front axle is as good an explanation as anything.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:41 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What you are looking at is a Type 'D' FE bus (FE=front engine, RE=rear engine).

There is no one bus that is the best bus. But there are buses that are better for different applications.

The advantages of the Type 'D' FE bus is with the engine up front the whole interior from the driver's seat back is open for use for living space. Most come with a rear emergency door instead of an emergency exit which can be sort of handy. It is particularly handy when you need to load long stuff or big stuff that won't go around the corner when going through the service door.

The disadvantages of the Type 'D' FE bus is with the engine up front you get to live with all of the heat, noise, and smell of an engine inches from your right foot. It also requires a very long drive shaft down the middle of the bus which does not allow you to build pass through under the floor compartments. The only area under the floor you can use is behind the rear axle and between the skirts and frame rails between the axles. Also, with the majority of the weight of the engine and transmission ahead of the front axle it is very easy to put too much weight on the front axle. All of the heavy stuff like gensets and tanks are best put behind the rear axle to balance out the front weight bias.

Your particular bus doesn't appear to have the 12" windows which means you will only have the 72"-74" ceiling height. If you were planning on raising the roof it doesn't matter. If you are height challenged it still won't be a problem. But if you are tall and intend to put insulation in the floor it could become a problem without a roof raise.

Depending on HP rating and final gear ratio that bus should be good to cruise all day effortlessly at 60 MPH. If it was used as a trip bus it may have faster highway gearing with higher HP that might allow it to cruise in excess of 65 MPH with no problem. Most DT466 equipped buses with the MT643 were geared for top speeds around 60 MPH, particularly if they were 210 HP models.

A CO spe'c bus will be a good bus. The standard equipment will have many of the options that you won't find on buses in the mid-west and southeast. It will have some sort of auxiliary braking system. It might have a Telma Retarder, it might just have a transmission retarder, it might have an exhaust brake, or it might have a combination of all three. In any case, it will get you down any mountain with little to no use of the service brakes.

With the miles indicated retail asking price would be in the $6K-$8K range so if you decide to bid, don't get crazy.

Good luck!

By the way, I have no idea what SFA in the description might mean but set back front axle is as good an explanation as anything.

Thank you for all the great info.
I’m really starting to think a RE is going to be best for me. I’d like to have as much of a basement as possible, also from what I’m reading the are easier to work on.

I’m not super tall, 5’6’’. I do want to insulate the bus, maybe I should keep looking for a slightly taller bus with a RE.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
I’m not committed 100% to the engine placement but I do really like the buses without the hood, extra floor space being the biggest plus. Seems like maybe waiting for a rear engine bus might be better

FE has the most floor space. And a back door. At 5'6" you really don't need a bus with a roof raise or any of that.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
FE has the most floor space. And a back door. At 5'6" you really don't need a bus with a roof raise or any of that.

I love the idea of having a back door!
I wonder how challenging it is to fit everything needed under a FE Bus, I’m going to be Off Grid living, so I’m worried about having enough room for everything with a FE

Thoughts?