Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Opinions on the 8.2 deisel

I've found some 1990 MVP's with the 8.2 for a pretty good price. This is a rear engine flat front. I've heard good and bad about the 8.2. I know Jarlaxle seems to hate it while Greg Archembault seems to like them. The seller I talked to said they will run 75mph and get decent mileage (12-13). They have several available, some with reman engines. I have heard comments about them not lasting. But it seems that all of them with reman engines have had the engines installed with 100K+ on the bus. When people say they don't last, does that mean they only go 100K? versus 200 or 300K? If so, then that's fine with me, If I have 80-100K life left, great! So, does anyone think a 1990 mvp with a reman 8.2 and automatic that will run 75 mph and get 12mpg for $2000 sound like a mistake? Thanks for the input.
Brad

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy
Re: Opinions on the 8.2 deisel

Good question.
I just bought an 8.2liter
Seems to run fine.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: RTSII
Engine: 6V92TA
Rated Cap: 55
Send a message via AIM to BBTC2K Send a message via Yahoo to BBTC2K

Some of you may not like what I am about to say, but my first bus, which was a 26' little Neoplan, had the 8.2L non turbo. It was extremely underpowered, noisy, and really stunk. It would up having a bad head gasket and had to be scrapped. That little bus had it share of issues...I checked this one out a lot better.

My first school bus I ever drove back in 1984 was a GMC/BlueBird conventional. It had the 8.2 fuel pincher and never gave me a ounce of problems. Some people call the 8.2 a "throwaway" motor. I DO know that the oldest bus we have in the fleet at the moment has a 8.2 non turbo, and although she is SSSSLLLOOOWWW, she will ALWAYS start and run, and will get you there. we use it as a breakdown swap bus. very seldom used, but reliable.

Please remember, that no matter which engine that you may run across, there will be people who love it, or hate it. My opinion is the NON turbo is not that great, but the turbos had some serious head issues.

shawn

By the way, my friend had a holiday rambler 33' motorhome that had the 8.2 in it. He went cross country, not once, but twice, and the only issue he had with it was a bad alternator, and thats really not the engines issue. My consensous is just to watch your coolant levels, and get it checked pretty quick if it starts losing it...otherwise, they arent bad.

sorry for the long winded post...

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
BBTC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I think a lot of us have those "throwaway" motors.

8.2 Detroit
6.6/7.8 Brazilian
3208 Cat
6.9/7.3 IDI
T444(e)
ISB/6BT
All the gassers....

Just to name a very few of the common skoolie engines out there that are parent bore....
Old 10-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: RTSII
Engine: 6V92TA
Rated Cap: 55
Send a message via AIM to BBTC2K Send a message via Yahoo to BBTC2K

Yes, I believe I heard once that my engine would also be considered a "throwaway". But, that said, there sure are a LOT of buses out there with "throwaways" in them... Personally, my belief is that its all in how it is maintained.

shawn

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
BBTC2K is offline   Reply With Quote