Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Opinions on this Bus?

So we've since honed in on the size of bus and engine we are looking for and we found a guy selling this bus outside of Brevard NC. He has been tasked by the church he is part of to sell it. 1997 International 3800, No rust, dt446, allison trans, air brakes, only thing is its got 240,000 miles on it. He took us for a ride, the engine is strong brakes are nice and tight. It has a governor on it that limits the speed to 45mph, is this common for school use busses? Said he knows a guy that can turn it off. He's asking 5k for it. I was gonna shoot him $4k in cash. Thoughts?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Mr. Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Engine sure is clean. Tires look dry to me $$$

1/4 million miles is a bunch, even on a good engine. Rebuilt?

What Allison transmission, they made a few???

Be very picky, will save you $$ and in the long run. I'd keep looking. Church's don't have fleet shops or much $$ for maint.

Welcome and Happy Hunting.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neb View Post
So we've since honed in on the size of bus and engine we are looking for and we found a guy selling this bus outside of Brevard NC. He has been tasked by the church he is part of to sell it. 1997 International 3800, No rust, dt446, allison trans, air brakes, only thing is its got 240,000 miles on it. He took us for a ride, the engine is strong brakes are nice and tight. It has a governor on it that limits the speed to 45mph, is this common for school use busses? Said he knows a guy that can turn it off. He's asking 5k for it. I was gonna shoot him $4k in cash. Thoughts?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Probably not a governor, most likely the rear axle gearing.
Sounds like a lot of money for a bus that will only go 45. Its a NC thing- their buses all are geared super low and thus have top speeds of 45-50.That's not even interstate legal. If it is the gearing plan on spending a grand or two to remedy that.
I'd pass. For four grand I just helped a guy find a DREAM bus. 1999 BB AA with MECHANICAL 8.3 Cummins, Air ride, 3060 trans, high headroom...
Avoid CL and dealers and just buy a nice one at auction.
Just my opinion.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I'd pass, too. Only 45 mph top end means some $$$ regearing. Dry tires are definitely a point of issue. Tires that size are money - and, by law, steering tires MUST be new.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
It has the inverted roof "fall" instead of the small roof "raise" from the factory. It will be almost mandatory to roof raise in order to gain the needed headroom you will be lacking. Between the short roof, low gears, dry rotted tires, I'd pass on it. The engine is good, but not for the kind of money you'll need to spend on the bus just to give it the bones required to make it a decent conversion.

Just my two cents,

M