Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747mech View Post
What details can you provide about the bus you want to sell.
Does anyone in this thread have a bus for sale? Would help if you quoted the post you are referring to. This thread is about WHEN to sell a conversion, not one for sale.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Does anyone in this thread have a bus for sale? Would help if you quoted the post you are referring to. This thread is about WHEN to sell a conversion, not one for sale.
The OP said he ended up with two buses at auction and started the thread to determine if any time and investment he puts in would be worth it at resell. I could interpret that to mean he intends to sell one. He never gave any specifics though so perhaps he will start a new topic in the For Sale forum and offer details about the one he intends to sell.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
The OP said he ended up with two buses at auction and started the thread to determine if any time and investment he puts in would be worth it at resell. I could interpret that to mean he intends to sell one. He never gave any specifics though so perhaps he will start a new topic in the For Sale forum and offer details about the one he intends to sell.
My point was more about quoting. The poster comes in at post number 18, referencing post #1.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #24
Bus Nut

My apologies. I only really worry about it if the topic has drifted off topic and a reply could be in reference to the current rant or attempting to address the OP's original topic. I didn't think this topic has gone off the rails yet. LOL
Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
A big selling point for me would be (and had done before I bought mine) was having the preventative maintenance already done, new fluids and filters, unless just done in the last 6 months and also basic safety inspection. Have the paperwork and show them the pretty new filters Spend the 400 or what ever bucks at a shop. Offer to remove seats for price, like someone said a partial gutted bus or half done conversion no, I like my buses freash
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #26
Bus Geek

The problem is the noobs don't know what a PITA removing seats is, and therefore can't put a monetary value on it. Often it is said "I'd have paid that had I known how much fun that would be."
Old 11-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
The problem is the noobs don't know what a PITA removing seats is, and therefore can't put a monetary value on it. Often it is said "I'd have paid that had I known how much fun that would be."
I'll quote you on that if I don't like how my bus is to drive and I end up not building the mobile bar and my bus goes for sale here...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Around $10 a seat for removal. THat's the monetary value.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:04 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
... and even that seems like a low figure.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think that the previous poster that suggested that you keep the bus original and offer demo and prep services for an additional fee is a good idea.

I put my seats in the Free section on Craigslist. Free if you come take them out. If you want me to take them out it's $10/seat. I got an irate guy threatening to "turn me in to Craigslist " because I wouldn't take the seats out for him for free. People are funny
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
I bought a GMC Thomas gasser for 2000 put about 700 into it.

Pulled seats, painted it green (tractor implement paint), 1” XPS insulation in the floor, bamboo flooring, installed an Orley wood stove, tiled the floor around the wood stove, installed a sink (RV bathtub) and a counter. We lived in it for 3 years, my daughter was born in it. Then we decided to sell it to buy a diesel International DT360a.

We sold the gasser for 5000.

I think it depends on your area. Here in southern Oregon there are lots of off grid type folks who are not willing to drive several hours to purchase a bus.
Man that's awesome your daughter was born in your bus. We have done 3 homebirths as well, though we used a midwife, that gets a bit costly. We just had our 5th child but sadly had to deal with the blame hospital/c-section because our previous baby was so difficult our midwife wouldn't do it or advise another home birth so we probably won't ever have another at home. Home births are the way to go though, way better than going to a dirty hospital.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #32
Almost There

Just a guess, but for me no amount of a build would be worth buying. Anything after removing the seats would be a huge turn off.

Would you want someone else dictating your floor plan? Would you want someone else prepping your floor (or not prepping and just slapping a cover layer on)

Anything else requires a floor first.
Iqinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqinsanity View Post
Just a guess, but for me no amount of a build would be worth buying. Anything after removing the seats would be a huge turn off.

Would you want someone else dictating your floor plan? Would you want someone else prepping your floor (or not prepping and just slapping a cover layer on)

Anything else requires a floor first.
If you're honest, and building for re-sale, you photo-doc your process...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #34
Almost There

But you’ll never know what was left out, as a buyer.

Besides, if you wanted prebuilt why are you looking at a school bus? Just buy a used RV.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I took the original advice and just put it up for sale as is. I sold the extra bus yesterday and the guy who bought it wanted it with nothing done to it.

I had just pulled all the seats out of my bus and realized I was happy someone wanted it without me doing anything to it.
neversayneverbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayneverbus View Post
I took the original advice and just put it up for sale as is. I sold the extra bus yesterday and the guy who bought it wanted it with nothing done to it.

I had just pulled all the seats out of my bus and realized I was happy someone wanted it without me doing anything to it.
Less is more! glad you got it sold man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #37
Almost There

Congratulations
Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Congrats. I totally get where you were coming from but knowing this is a community of DIYers it wasn't worth going that extra step for no reward. Even the seat removal part, which for me personally would be well worth a price bump to save me that aggravation, was met with mixed responses because some people want a 'virgin' bus and not a shell.