Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Are you raising your entire floor 11 inches? Just wondering as you have no wheel wells.

I personally hate wet baths. Lived fulltime with one in a class c for 5 years. Promised David that the bus would not have a wet bath. It has a "split" bath (toilet/vanity on one side, shower stall on the opposite side).

BTW, I love my residential super capacity top load washing machine and residential dryer. Dryer sits on the rear wheel well and the washer sits on the floor beside it (between the 32X32 residential shower stall and the rear wheel well). But my needs are different as I live fulltime in my bus, parked in a park... for now.

I suggest that you do a scale layout of your bus floor and include the "immovables" both on the floor and under the floor. Then make paper cutouts (to scale) of the stuff you must have in it and the wanna haves. Then arrange and rearrange your little paper shapes many many times. Use your phone's camera to take pics of each layout. Just because you don't like all of one layout doesn't mean that parts of one won't work.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Red face great tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
Are you raising your entire floor 11 inches? Just wondering as you have no wheel wells.

I personally hate wet baths. Lived fulltime with one in a class c for 5 years. Promised David that the bus would not have a wet bath. It has a "split" bath (toilet/vanity on one side, shower stall on the opposite side).

BTW, I love my residential super capacity top load washing machine and residential dryer. Dryer sits on the rear wheel well and the washer sits on the floor beside it (between the 32X32 residential shower stall and the rear wheel well). But my needs are different as I live fulltime in my bus, parked in a park... for now.

I suggest that you do a scale layout of your bus floor and include the "immovables" both on the floor and under the floor. Then make paper cutouts (to scale) of the stuff you must have in it and the wanna haves. Then arrange and rearrange your little paper shapes many many times. Use your phone's camera to take pics of each layout. Just because you don't like all of one layout doesn't mean that parts of one won't work.
Hi Lorna!

Thank you for your input! We will not be raising the floor, our closets will be built over the rear wheel wells and our custom couch will sit over the front right wheel well!

We are definitely going to test full bathrooms and wet rooms before we choose for sure!

And I would love to have a washer/dryer but it is something I can live without!

We haven't even purchased a bus yet, so we're far off from the final design.

Thanks again! I enjoy all the articles you posted!
Kcklr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
You may want to move your bath room to the drivers side of the bus, most camp sites are designed for dumping your holding tanks and hook ups on the that side of the rv.
If you put in a rv type toilet have it sit right on top of your black tank.
just my 2 cents
gbstewart
Old 03-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
You may want to move your bath room to the drivers side of the bus, most camp sites are designed for dumping your holding tanks and hook ups on the that side of the rv.
If you put in a rv type toilet have it sit right on top of your black tank.
just my 2 cents
gbstewart
Good point! Another thing to go in my notes!
Thank You!
Kcklr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
These are just random thoughts as I think of them.

I too hate a wet room, my camper has one. Remember everything will get..........wet! Toilet paper has to be protected, if, like me you run around with socks on your feet, the floor is wet. If you don't dry it off the toilet seat will be wet.

Just looking at your plans, I would loose the office and dog crate (I travel with two Border Collies, they do just fine finding their own spot) make the pantry smaller and cut down on closet space, they look huge in comparison. Loose some "stuff" I traveled for 20 years in a semi stayed out for 10 to 14 days and all of my clothes fit in two drawers. In a 60 inch sleeper I had a good size frige,desktop computer,microwave,porta potty, portable air conditioner and two Border Collies.
I assume you will be using a laptop, set it on whatever eating surface you are using.
At least get the toilet to the left side, sinks and shower plumbing can be routed under the floor to the other side. I'm not sure the rear wheel wells are as far forward as you have drawn, meaning the wheel wells would be a problem. If you get a rear engine, I know they aren't that far forward.
Somewhere in my build post are some floor plan drawings that are pretty much what I ended up with, in my case there is a HUGE office/computer room that takes up the front 8 feet, I have a good size pantry and large fridge,Mumsywumsy has enough closet space for a few weeks, I still don't need much. I went with the separate beds to get as much "stand up turn around" space in the bedroom as possible. My first semi I had to get dressed while laying on the bed, I hated that. Each bunk is half a queen.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Red face Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
These are just random thoughts as I think of them.

I too hate a wet room, my camper has one. Remember everything will get..........wet! Toilet paper has to be protected, if, like me you run around with socks on your feet, the floor is wet. If you don't dry it off the toilet seat will be wet.

Just looking at your plans, I would loose the office and dog crate (I travel with two Border Collies, they do just fine finding their own spot) make the pantry smaller and cut down on closet space, they look huge in comparison. Loose some "stuff" I traveled for 20 years in a semi stayed out for 10 to 14 days and all of my clothes fit in two drawers. In a 60 inch sleeper I had a good size frige,desktop computer,microwave,porta potty, portable air conditioner and two Border Collies.
I assume you will be using a laptop, set it on whatever eating surface you are using.
At least get the toilet to the left side, sinks and shower plumbing can be routed under the floor to the other side. I'm not sure the rear wheel wells are as far forward as you have drawn, meaning the wheel wells would be a problem. If you get a rear engine, I know they aren't that far forward.
Somewhere in my build post are some floor plan drawings that are pretty much what I ended up with, in my case there is a HUGE office/computer room that takes up the front 8 feet, I have a good size pantry and large fridge,Mumsywumsy has enough closet space for a few weeks, I still don't need much. I went with the separate beds to get as much "stand up turn around" space in the bedroom as possible. My first semi I had to get dressed while laying on the bed, I hated that. Each bunk is half a queen.
Thank you very much for your input! Taking all your guys' suggestions into account... Right now my biggest problem is finding a broker who will insure a conversion.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Before the economy crashed, I was in the wood stove/solar business. Along the way, I did a lot of unusual installations and had the opportunity to solve the problems that came with those jobs. Also, I have personally heated with wood whenever I had the chance, and proved a number of my own ideas along the way.

I'm going to start a separate thread to address this subject...
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Just one more thought on the wood stove, I know you've been bombarded by good information on the heat distribution aspects, but here's another reason to move it that I didn't see mentioned; safety. I don't know how much drive time you will see, but if there is am accident, or even a near miss where you must stop in a hurry (yeah, like a bus can stop in a hurry, lol) having that right behind the driver is asking for trouble. Even the wall may not be enough to keep it from hitting the driver, turning a bad situation into a worse one. move it back and give it a few more obstacles to tumble over before it gets to the "cab". We all hate bad publicity, and seeing fellow skoolies get hurt.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Talking great tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Just one more thought on the wood stove, I know you've been bombarded by good information on the heat distribution aspects, but here's another reason to move it that I didn't see mentioned; safety. I don't know how much drive time you will see, but if there is am accident, or even a near miss where you must stop in a hurry (yeah, like a bus can stop in a hurry, lol) having that right behind the driver is asking for trouble. Even the wall may not be enough to keep it from hitting the driver, turning a bad situation into a worse one. move it back and give it a few more obstacles to tumble over before it gets to the "cab". We all hate bad publicity, and seeing fellow skoolies get hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdman View Post
Before the economy crashed, I was in the wood stove/solar business. Along the way, I did a lot of unusual installations and had the opportunity to solve the problems that came with those jobs. Also, I have personally heated with wood whenever I had the chance, and proved a number of my own ideas along the way.

I'm going to start a separate thread to address this subject...

I agree with everything said. I've attached a picture, it is where we initially got the idea from.

That said, maybe the people in this picture don't drive their bus anywhere or stay in it for extended periods of time.

The wood burner will be going in the middle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c3fbc32d851b876b31901ab375e299a4.jpg (149.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Revised again...

Tags
cozy, crazy, creative, fun, plans