Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All Canadian FE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
our weird little prison windows

I see a lot of conversions removing most/all of their windows. I'm hoping to leave most if not all of them intact for purely aesthetic reasons but I'd love feedback on how they will likely affect the bus's temps and tips to minimize it. I don't have any great plans for them at this time other than pimp tint. I wanted to pop in a couple of picture windows (sliders so we can get some air circulation in there as she's pretty much airtight right now) as well but the hubster is inclined against it. Thoughts?

www.flythecoop.ca
pictureLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: our weird little prison windows

I love these little windows! I say "keep them"!

I definitely do understand the requirement for ventilation though. If I had those awesome little prison windows, I'd pop out the glass and put some stained glass in a few of them. I think it might conflict with the "pimp tint" <- (awesome) and the prison PA system <- (more awesome), but it would be so fun and cool-looking.

I say leave the windows. It really makes your bus unique.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Funny you should mention stained glass lol - it was already on the wishlist. My only concern is that I don't think they make shatter-proof stained glass... The plan was to swap out a few panes after we finish touring. I have a couple of framed stained glass pieces that will be hung on the walls anyways. ;)

www.flythecoop.ca
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
and the prison PA system <- (more awesome)
I used to drive ambulances for a living. Those PA systems suck, especially when you're yelling at people through them to get the hell out of your way.

Oh, and *real* windows can be a good thing. Particularly for ventilation. Or, if you decide to up and move the whole family, the kids from getting car sick and puking all over the place.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureLOVE
Funny you should mention stained glass lol - it was already on the wishlist. My only concern is that I don't think they make shatter-proof stained glass...
how about using window film? http://www.homedepot.com/s/decorative+w ... ilm?NCNI-5 lotsa of other places to buy, this is just to give you some ideas. I like the little windows too. Reminds me of a boat or a train. What decor theme are you going for?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Is "upcycled ghetto chaos" a valid style of decor?

www.flythecoop.ca
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Why not? Does it really sound any crazier than "Streamline Art Deco Dieselpunk Old South Country Beach Cottage"? A fancy way of saying that we are using the Streamline Art Decor touches inherent to the BlueBird, using aged Chrome/Aluminum/Brushed Nickel metals, old used mismatched furnishings (some are FAR older than others) and repurposed materials and materials that look like they have been repurposed. Toss in a fair amount of kitsch to glue everything together. Add some nice beachy colours to boot.

I'm trying to figure out a durable yet lightweight translucent sphere to recreate net floats. I remember the old net floats my grandfather had in his shiny little travel trailer. I would like to add a few to our place.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Pull your interior wall, and ceiling panels and insulate with spray foam. Create a proper thermal break.

You live in the real cold north like me, and their is no substitute for proper insulation.

Tinting your little windows will yield little gain on temp.

Safety and RV glass is not shatter proof. You have to use Lexan to get that. Being a prison bus, the windows are likely already unbreakable.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I remember the old net floats my grandfather had in his shiny little travel trailer. I would like to add a few to our place.
That would be AMAZAZING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Pull your interior wall, and ceiling panels and insulate with spray foam. Create a proper thermal break.

You live in the real cold north like me, and their is no substitute for proper insulation.

Tinting your little windows will yield little gain on temp.

Safety and RV glass is not shatter proof. You have to use Lexan to get that. Being a prison bus, the windows are likely already unbreakable.

Nat
natster, the plan is to spray foam for sure, and pulling the internal walls isn't optional considering a) the amount of rust and b) the delicious odour of manure the insulation is still holding despite hours of vacuuming and bleaching... We're going bare bones since the next home after this one is one where a nurse is changing my diaper and I get to self-administer as much morphine as I need to block that fact out.

The windows are DOT48 with a double layer of some kind of plexi. We were told it's bullet proof but after spending some quality time bending it, the jury is out - we really have no idea what is screwed to the inside of the bus.

HELP lol

www.flythecoop.ca
Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Unless you get rid of the thermal bridge from roof, thru roof bows, through sheet metal it will be hot no. Matter what you spray between the bows.

On a sunny day you feel the roof bows as you walk, an easy 25* difference between factory insulated roof and the line of rivets showing the roof bows

Seriously yesterday was 104* at rivets and 79* between them
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Seriously yesterday was 104* at rivets and 79* between them
No sprechen ze Farenheit... !?!!?

At peak afternoon temps, a summertime average of 31C (88F) in the shade is normal where I am. Because I am completely unwilling to forego any and all view (and natural light in winter) in favour of being cool in summer, the portholes are currently slated to remain intact with the addition of (street legal yet annoying) UV blocking mirrored pimp tint. I have yet to do a temp measurement but even without the tint I can affirm that it is (most gratefully) noticeably cooler IN the bus in our back yard than OUT of the bus in our back yard, navy blue roof and all. We're hoping to use magnetic curtains for the rest of it all before resorting to draining my solar cells to run AC... I don't want to hear how dumb our wish to keep the windows is, but rather how to make retention of them as efficient and realistic as possible.

www.flythecoop.ca
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Are you familar with the old fashioned storm windows? I'm referring to the single pane of glass/plastic that is placed on the outside of a house and covers the whole window in the wintertime to keep the cold out creating a "dual pane" window. You can do the same with your lovely little windows.

Frame in around your windows, on the inside, with PVC "wood" making sure to cover all the metal parts. The PVC will not rot or discolour from possible moisture plus it will provide a good thermal break. Either route a rabbet (a little step down) into the trim to accept a piece of plexiglass or use another low profile piece of PVC trim to edge around the plexi. Use a bead of siliconized latex adhesive caulk (I prefer the ones that say "elastometric" for this type of use) to seal to the window trim along with a few screws (now you have a thermal bridge and must cover the head of the screws to break the thermal bridge). You might want to drill a couple of tiny holes thru the plexi/PVC and run a tiny screw into the PVC material but not touching the metal of the bus (in case you don't trust the caulk to hold the plexi to the PVC... I don't or if you want to be able to remove them later, in which case use a length of vinyl weatherstripping on the trim along with the screws). If the screw touches the metal of the bus/frame it will continue the thermal bridge. You would need to cap the screw head from the interior some how if that happens, easier to use a short tiny screw in the first place and be careful. If you plan on prettying up the windows with a window film, I would apply that first if you plan on caulking the plexi in. If using the screws & weatherstripping, you can add it at anytime. (note: make sure your windows and the plexi are VERY clean as you can't get them apart, without much difficulty, to clean once glued up). I prefer the weatherstripping/screws version because I know I would change my mind at some point and have to tear the things apart to change what is behind the plexi.

The PVC "wood" can be securely glued together using clear PVC plumbing pipe glue (don't get sloppy with it). It can also be painted (I suggest either a paint made for painting plastic or use a clear matte version as a primer that you can paint over with whatever you choose) or stained with a gel stain. As well as shaped with a router. You can attach PVC "wood" with screws (then plug them) or glue them to the structure using an adhesive or adhesive caulk. We will screw/caulk for our windows and then cover the screw heads with another layer of PVC "wood" glued to the bottom layer (it's a stacking of profiles to get the look we want). But for the decorative thermal breaks on the ceiling (primed with gray tinted Kilz2 then painted with metallic paint), we just used PL400 Subfloor & Deck Adhesive and prop sticks until the adhesive dried completely.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

They are already double-paned so I think I just need to add film, and could try for an interior storm window if I felt we weren't getting enough insulation. I agree it would have to be a removable option - I am sure I'll change my mind at least once about something that will require taking one out and dealing with caulking is the last thing on my wish list lol. I'd be worried about an interior storm window adding bulk on the inside of the bus, no?

(I would love the look of mirrored film but I think everyone around us would be irritated by the glare lol)

www.flythecoop.ca
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I don't think it would add much bulk. It's only a 1/2" or so space that you are looking at. So dual or triple pane, you aren't really looking a lot of lost space. Thermal breaks are what you really need to add.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

I to have a prison bus mine being a 1996 Blue Bird All American Rear Engine with the small windows, we just installed two solar powered vents in the roof for ventilation and for the windows we cut some inch and a half dacron batting that just fits in the opening so we can put them in or out depending on the temp and the amount of light and warmth needed. Ours has bullet resistant polycarbonate with a brown tint to it. you can see what it looked like when we bought it if you
go to publicsurplus.com and look at auction #611712. All of the dividers inside also had the bullet resistant panels as well. We just bought an RV emergency exit window that we will install in the emergency door since the glass will swing out for ventilation. Found it on E-bay for 14.99 plus 19.95 shipping may need some modification to fit but the glass measures the same size as the glass in the emergency door.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
r_w
Skoolie

I love the little windows, remind me of the samba 21 window VW vans. I would buy rounded corner RV windows the same width and whatever height works to place under them in a couple key areas where you want more light and ventilation.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote