Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Outside accessible side-storage?

Has anyone put storage on the side of their bus? Not talking about underside storage, but like actually on the outer side of the bus? I haven't bought my bus yet but I've been messing around with rough plans and any way I arrange things it seems like there are some areas where putting a door on the outside to access more storage seems like a good idea.

Sirirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirirah View Post
Has anyone put storage on the side of their bus? Not talking about underside storage, but like actually on the outer side of the bus? I haven't bought my bus yet but I've been messing around with rough plans and any way I arrange things it seems like there are some areas where putting a door on the outside to access more storage seems like a good idea.
Not sure exactly what you're saying, but a bus is already pretty close to the maximum allowable width limit for a road vehicle, so you can't really just stick storage boxes on the side.

Although one user here recently hired some questionable fabricators who ended up doing exactly that (and had to un-do their "work").

If you're saying something like build a closet inside that is only accessible from the outside via a door, skooliers commonly do something like that with a sort of garage in the rear that uses the rear exit as its door (sometimes the garage is also accessible from the inside).
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Not sure exactly what you're saying, but a bus is already pretty close to the maximum allowable width limit for a road vehicle, so you can't really just stick storage boxes on the side.

Although one user here recently hired some questionable fabricators who ended up doing exactly that (and had to un-do their "work").

If you're saying something like build a closet inside that is only accessible from the outside via a door, skooliers commonly do something like that with a sort of garage in the rear that uses the rear exit as its door (sometimes the garage is also accessible from the inside).
Oh I'm definitely not thinking of slapping a box on the outside or anything! More like cutting a hole into the side, much like the rear exit door you mentioned but just on the side of the bus. I guess like adding a door to the side? Like the understorage thing many people have done, but skooch it up a bit.
I'm still not sure if I'm describing it well But basically I was thinking cut a hole in the side of the bus, fabricate a metal door that sits flush with the outside of the bus, and then maybe a metal box mounted inside the bus which would be the storage.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I don't recall seeing anybody add a door for a storage area like that, but as musigenesis says, we see people do this with the side or rear emergency exit doors somewhat routinely. Usually it's a somewhat small closet that a person would reach into, or possible lean their torso into if it's a deep space, but usually not big enough to actually step or climb into.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Why not? You can put a door almost anywhere as long as you aren’t compromising the structure. How big are you talking about and what’s it’s use?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Oh I'm definitely not thinking of slapping a box on the outside or anything! More like cutting a hole into the side, much like the rear exit door you mentioned but just on the side of the bus. I guess like adding a door to the side? Like the understorage thing many people have done, but skooch it up a bit.
I'm still not sure if I'm describing it well But basically I was thinking cut a hole in the side of the bus, fabricate a metal door that sits flush with the outside of the bus, and then maybe a metal box mounted inside the bus which would be the storage.
I've seen something like what you describe: some people have mounted a propane stove inside, and then created a storage box that holds a propane tank or two underneath it with an access hatch on the outside. For just general-purpose storage, though, if you're going to sacrifice internal space for it, it seems like it would make more sense to just access it from the inside - you don't have to worry about leaking through a new side opening and you don't have to worry about securing the door.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Probably not too big, and honestly I might not end up doing it, I'm trying to plan my layout a bit but I don't actually have a bus so I can't really plan too much yet. But so far I'm looking at the space behind appliances like the stove/oven and the fridge. It seems like if I pulled them out the same distance as the shower, so like give or take 30 inches, then I have almost a foot of space depth-wise behind the fridge and a bit less behind the oven. Or even for under the bed storage, because a lot of the side area would be hard to access from the back door, and even from the inside since I'm planning on having like 2/3 of the bed walled off.

Anyway like I said I might not do it because looking at my plans I have about a 2ft wide hallway down the whole thing and while I can certainly fit into that space it might be a bit narrow.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Thanks for asking this question. I am picking up my bus on Monday. It doesn't have a side emergency door but I would love to add one in place of one of the windows.. I haven't seen anybody do this but it seems easier than a roof raise. Still might be beyond my skill set though.

I would like to get the biggest fridge I can fit through the door. Wouldn't mind having a washer either. Having a side door to bring this items (or replacements if needed) would make things easier.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Thanks for asking this question. I am picking up my bus on Monday. It doesn't have a side emergency door but I would love to add one in place of one of the windows.. I haven't seen anybody do this but it seems easier than a roof raise. Still might be beyond my skill set though.

I would like to get the biggest fridge I can fit through the door. Wouldn't mind having a washer either. Having a side door to bring this items (or replacements if needed) would make things easier.
I removed my side emergency door. I'll check, but I may have sent it to scrap. If not, you're certainly welcome to it. I'll check and get back to you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post

here is an example - I bought the bus with the modification already done - it allows a passenger seat to be beside the driver, and makes room for a convenient house battery box - the new door was taken from a motor home
Attached Thumbnails
bus hot and cold.jpg   bus passenger sade.jpg  
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I removed my side emergency door. I'll check, but I may have sent it to scrap. If not, you're certainly welcome to it. I'll check and get back to you.
That would be awesome. Thank you
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Anyway like I said I might not do it because looking at my plans I have about a 2ft wide hallway down the whole thing and while I can certainly fit into that space it might be a bit narrow.
Try to think of how you can use the interior of your furniture for storage instead of taking whatever floor space you have. If you’ve ever been in an RV with the slide outs closed, you will discover how claustrophobic that 2’ isle can feel.

One thing I saw for underbed storage is the use of long pullout drawers that double as an ottoman or bench.

Or start thinking about having less stuff to store. Part of my problem is too much stuff and I’m going to have to learn to do that.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Try to think of how you can use the interior of your furniture for storage instead of taking whatever floor space you have. If you’ve ever been in an RV with the slide outs closed, you will discover how claustrophobic that 2’ isle can feel.

One thing I saw for underbed storage is the use of long pullout drawers that double as an ottoman or bench.

Or start thinking about having less stuff to store. Part of my problem is too much stuff and I’m going to have to learn to do that.
Very true! It's super easy to put everything together like tetris, then I went back to measure and thought that 2' is not ideal. But I know that once I get my bus and can actually visualize things better my "nice plans" will go out the window. I'm probably gonna just move back the stove/fridge to have more aisle room