Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Overall total conversion costs?

bansil - How will moving east a state help with harassment on federal BLM land? I'm sure it will work out, I will just have to not only be creative, but also very careful about covering my a$$ legally.

SweetBearCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub
bansil - How will moving east a state help with harassment on federal BLM land? I'm sure it will work out, I will just have to not only be creative, but also very careful about covering my a$$ legally.
It'll get rid of one issue , remember........... baby steps
is finding a small pc of land in say Texas out of the option book?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Can you give me a better understanding of how CA's "Clean Diesel" requirements might affect my plans?
Sorry, I can't. I'm only aware that it exists because of having seen the shiny stickers applied to the sides of older trucks when visiting the state recently. A very quick review of some info on the CA Air Resources Board web site indicates there are some exceptions depending on size of the fleet, amount of use during the year, etc. Maybe, hopefully, one of those applies to your use. I haven't invested the time to understand the regulations -- this sort of nonsense (in my opinion) is one of the reasons why I avoid California. One might have thought that it was enough for CA to have their own new vehicle emissions rules without retroactively applying them to existing trucks! Oh well.

You might consider a low-floor type bus. That's outside of strict skoolie territory, but we're not picky here about people using a transit bus and calling it skoolie (mine is a transit body, but it IS a Blue Bird. ). The chair lift on some low floor Gilligs for example is nothing more than a ramp that flips out through the open door. Be warned though that our member LuckyChow reports from his experience as a transit manager (if I remember correctly) that parts for axles etc on the low floor types can be significantly more expensive than on the conventional high-floor types.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I wouldn't care for a low floor bus anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

bansil - Owning a small plot of land in Texas is not entirely impossible, but why Texas?

familywagon - I just did some research on California's Clean Diesel program, and apparently, if you own or operate a bus here, whether or not it is for school use, it must be retrofitted with a particulate matter filter. While great for the environment, it is expensive. According to the fact sheet, it's about 1/7th the cost of a new bus. As far as I know, a new bus is 200k or 300k. If that is the case, I will buy and title a bus in another state.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
bansil - Owning a small plot of land in Texas is not entirely impossible, but why Texas?
Living in Texas (Dallas area) for the past 5 years, I ask myself the same question everyday..... I think the accepted wisdom is that Tx has a few really good points.
1. Converting title to motorhome seems easier than other states
2. No state income Taxes
3 Land can be found very cheap (away from anything like a city)

I am sure there are others that will add to this list, but being here through 5 summers I find it hard to think due to heat exhaustion. This has been a mild summer but last year was 50+ days over 100 (48 in a row). If you're planning to be on the road for the summer, it would be great.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Remember this you have an RV Residential Vehicle or motor home...you don't own a bus....a bus is used to transport a lot of people...

You buy a "school bus" get it home and it the becomes not a school bus (unless you run a school) remove extra seating for "bus" passengers and walla you have a big empty shell "vehicle" that you are turning into a residental vehical (RV)
The term Residential Vehicles is of course a "play" on Recreational Vehicle...except that if done "Residential" all major and minor parts can be replaced at any home store etc
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
Quote:
Living in Texas (Dallas area) for the past 5 years, I ask myself the same question everyday..... I think the accepted wisdom is that Tx has a few really good points.
1. Converting title to motorhome seems easier than other states
2. No state income Taxes
3 Land can be found very cheap (away from anything like a city)

I am sure there are others that will add to this list, but being here through 5 summers I find it hard to think due to heat exhaustion. This has been a mild summer but last year was 50+ days over 100 (48 in a row). If you're planning to be on the road for the summer, it would be great.
The country of Texas has 4 seasons.....in 4 different places.....just pick your poison
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Regarding the CA 'Clean Diesel" requirements, some deeper reading led to this:

Q: What vehicles are exempt from the Truck and Bus regulation?

A: The regulation exempts military tactical support vehicles, emergency vehicles, personal use motor homes, dedicated snow removal vehicles, and historic vehicles. Pickup trucks used exclusively for personal use with a gross vehicle weight rating less than 19,500 lbs are also exempt. In addition, nearly all vehicles that must comply with other in-use regulations are also exempt. Therefore, the regulation does not apply to state and local publically owned vehicles (except for school buses), most solid waste collection vehicles, and transit fleet vehicles. The regulation also does not apply to two engine cranes, two engine drill rigs because both engines in these vehicles are subject to the In-Use Off-Road Diesel Vehicle Regulation.

(emphasis mine)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I wonder how much a piece of land that was big enough for a covered concrete pad to park a bus on (and preferably, a small shed, with electric, water, and sewage hookups, if not too far from town) would cost?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #31

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I think you found it. Motor home are exempt from this emissions nonsense.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote