Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Paint

What is the best types of paint to use for the exterior of a bus? I am seeing some places say Rust Oleum Professional. Would appreciate thoughts.

ElliottExpedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Paint

Welcome.

Search my new friend. This topic has been covered over and over again. A month ago I would have found the threads for you. I'm now in my busy season at work, and don't have that much time.

Yes a few members have used that paint with good results.

You need to go read at least ten of the multi page build threads. All the info you need is there.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

I used a combination of Rustoleum cream color for trim and Oliver green tractor paint for 90% of the body (Van Sickle brand) on my 1987 Chevrolet pickup.

It turned out great. Not sure how it would work on a bus, though. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I can post pics of my painting job if you want.
matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

I plan on using Hytec's Bus Kote for the roof, and a custom mixed-color Rustoleum for the body.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

We used ACE RustStop instead of Rustoleum because I wanted a different colour. After 4 hot NM summers the paint has faded a few shades (realized just how much when I touched up a spot). I will clean, sand, prime and paint the bus again with a latex paint (probably Behr's Marquee as I hear great things about it) once we get a home base to park on. I am thinking of adjusting my colours a tad. I think the bus is too light and I want to get rid of the rub rail colours. I followed the tips on the above links (forum has a lot of good info) and did not sand between coats. I refused to sand 40 ft of bus in 90F to 110F temps. Also, I do not recommend panting anything at those temps. I had no choice. Read, research and figure out what will work best for you. Any flaws in the rolled on paint jobs are difficult to see with a camera. You have to be real close to see them. I have tiny runs from the spray job and cracking bondo from the previous owners showing thru my paint. The bondo will all be removed once we install baggage and access doors. Just remember, as with any paint job, prep is everything.

An alternative view to the $50 Paint Job is a "how to spray" which is great if you are someplace where you can spray without spraying all the neighbours stuff.
http://www.easypaintyourcar.com/CarPainting/norust.html
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Pretty much to sum it up, the paint isnt the important part of the equation. Preparation is the key. You will spend an eternity prepping a school bus. Very difficult with all the bumps and seams. I regret painting mine. I should have left it yellow or got someone to tag it with spray bombs.

Get a pro paint job....except it will more than likely cost you twice the price of the buses value.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

We live in California and we could not leave our bus school bus yellow or similar shade. We had to paint it. As Opus said, prep is the key. We spent about 40 hours on the prep getting the body in perfect shape. We also went with a professional paint job. Large vehicle painting center with sanding and paint booths, killer primer job, high quality auto paint, two coats of paint and two coats of clear coating. Total cost for prep and painting was $7,200, which was more than the cost of the bus.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote