Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 12V
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Paint and Caulking in Cold Weather

I am trying to finish doing the foundation work on the floor so that I can starting building the interior. I don't have time to wait for Spring.

Temperatures are going to be around 35F today. I currently have a large space heater in the bus and will be using a blow drier to preheat the metal for the paint. What success have all you had when painting Rustuleum oil based paint in cold weather? This looks of the paint are not the issue, just the integrity. This paint will never been seen.

I will be using the Vulcem 116 polyurethane sealant adhesive to patch the various screw holes in the floor. I tested the adhesive and paint to see if I could paint over it before it cures (times crunch). I know that this sealant adhesive reacts with moisture to dry. I also know that painting over it will reduce the amount of moisture accessible to the sealant. My question is, will the holes in the floor that are open to the air under the bus provide enough moisture to the sealant for it to fully cure after I paint over it?

MiLochiNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLochiNya View Post
I am trying to finish doing the foundation work on the floor so that I can starting building the interior. I don't have time to wait for Spring.

Temperatures are going to be around 35F today. I currently have a large space heater in the bus and will be using a blow drier to preheat the metal for the paint. What success have all you had when painting Rustuleum oil based paint in cold weather? This looks of the paint are not the issue, just the integrity. This paint will never been seen.

I will be using the Vulcem 116 polyurethane sealant adhesive to patch the various screw holes in the floor. I tested the adhesive and paint to see if I could paint over it before it cures (times crunch). I know that this sealant adhesive reacts with moisture to dry. I also know that painting over it will reduce the amount of moisture accessible to the sealant. My question is, will the holes in the floor that are open to the air under the bus provide enough moisture to the sealant for it to fully cure after I paint over it?
I believe it was about 45F outside when I painted my bus floor. I used rustoleum oil based red primer, with no heater. It cured within 24 hours. I'm not sure about caulking when it is that cold, but it was about 45F out when I filled the bolt holes in the floor of my bus. I used Dynatron urethane seam dealer from advance auto parts. I'd wait for it to cure before painting over it. What you're doing is an important step in construction and you REALLY do not want to rush or half-ass it.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
I recently used butyl caulk on the floor and a synthetic caulk for the windows in the cold (warm days). It worked well. But make sure the one you use is ok in the cold. Also Rust-Oleum type paints like Tremclad do dry in the cold. I was working at about 3C or 36F.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

Some caulks work fine in the cold, though they usually cost more than the cheapest "white stuff in a tube" variety. Just look at what kind of caulk you have and make sure its temperature range will work with your environment.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulking, cold weather, painting, polyurethane sealant, rustoleum