Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Year: 2000
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 L
Paint Product Opinion (keep heat out)

So a few years back, my parents flat roof house in Miami started to leak. I did some research and found this product:
All White Manufacturing Inc.

I used the primer, mesh, and the R400. It has been 5 years and it is still holding.
I have climbed on the roof during the hottest part of the day and the material stays COOL TO THE TOUCH. I'm guessing it reflects all of the heat.

Would something like this work on the bus for a paint job?


Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
__________________
A male Nurse playing diesel Mechanic . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Tootalltechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Posts: 241
Year: 1974
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
A good flat roof job should last up to 15 yrs. There is product that has been suggested on here that reflects the sun and heat.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Year: 2000
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
A good flat roof job should last up to 15 yrs. There is product that has been suggested on here that reflects the sun and heat.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Any idea on how to find that info here?

I've heard that the best way to deal with hot weather is to prevent it from getting inside.

I'm thinking on using a white heat reflective paint, and what ever top end heat reflecting window tint is out there.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
__________________
A male Nurse playing diesel Mechanic . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
Skoolie
 
Tootalltechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Posts: 241
Year: 1974
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
Unfortunately I have not painted my bus yet. I can only suggest search for roof painting and a lot of reading.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 619
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
im using white oil based paint, some use bus kote, there are several products that work. Insulating Roof Paint for Buses, Mobile Home, RV
if your going to live in it pull your ceiling down and insulate.
__________________
living in a bus down by the river
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums942.html
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Year: 2000
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 L
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
im using white oil based paint, some use bus kote, there are several products that work. Insulating Roof Paint for Buses, Mobile Home, RV
if your going to live in it pull your ceiling down and insulate.
I'm buying a short bus to convert as a camper. I won't be living in it; however, here in Florida is hot and humid.

I will keep this conversion simple. Maybe I ll go all fancy on my second bus.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
__________________
A male Nurse playing diesel Mechanic . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 3,418
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ive driven my bus through florida alot.. (have an apartment in FL now too).. my ceiling gets HOT to the touch.. I said I wasnt going to pull down my ceiling and insulate but am rethinking that now I might .. right now im actively running my bus everywhere so it will be awhile till I do it..

my bus is painted a light beige color on the roof and is all stock.. I have 60,000 BTU of engine driven air-conditioning.. when its in the 90s and sunny and humid in florida its not exactly cold in the bus.. once the sun goes behind the cloud or if I park in the shade my interior then gets cold..

even I who said "never" may be tearing into my bus to insulate.. and i dont camp in my bus.. I drive it all over and only ever sleep in it a couple hours when i get sleepy..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
Skoolie
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Year: 2000
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Ive driven my bus through florida alot.. (have an apartment in FL now too).. my ceiling gets HOT to the touch.. I said I wasnt going to pull down my ceiling and insulate but am rethinking that now I might .. right now im actively running my bus everywhere so it will be awhile till I do it..

my bus is painted a light beige color on the roof and is all stock.. I have 60,000 BTU of engine driven air-conditioning.. when its in the 90s and sunny and humid in florida its not exactly cold in the bus.. once the sun goes behind the cloud or if I park in the shade my interior then gets cold..

even I who said "never" may be tearing into my bus to insulate.. and i dont camp in my bus.. I drive it all over and only ever sleep in it a couple hours when i get sleepy..

-Christopher
Well, I just wanted to keep it simple.
I've thought about just removing the floors but ...
Maybe I ll just drive the bus around before doing anything to it so that I can have a better idea.

I'm thinking if that allwhite.com material stays cool, then it is only logical that no heat would come through the roof.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
__________________
A male Nurse playing diesel Mechanic . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,063
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
I'm buying a short bus to convert as a camper. I won't be living in it; however, here in Florida is hot and humid.
Hot and humid? Pull down the panels and replace the insulate with better R value than what the bus manufacturers call "insulation" in addition to paint. You'll appreciate it, and so will any cooling system you put onboard
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 3,418
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also remember if you are using right now as your basis for whether to insulate or not.. that the sun angle is significantly reduced from what it is in the hard part of summer.. we are mid september so even in florida the sun intensity is reduced from the high months of may - july..

my plan for mine is to unbolt my ceiling panels carefully.. (mine are screwed in not riveted).. insulate and then replace them back into the bus.. (im not really into wood ceilings).. paint my roof white with bus kote, and then use cellular blinds on my windows and i think I'll do a lot better with cooling...

I dont want to tint my windows as i like the bright sunlight in many cases which I would lose if I tint.. so using cellular shades i can block the sun when need-be and allow it in when I want it.. plus maintain visibility for night-time rain driving.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.