Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Paint Thread (especially Rustoleum users)

Well Smitty, I havent painted Gracey yet, but I think I am gonna spray auto paint on her. I am leaning towards nason 2k urethane. Its a super strong/hard finish that you can clear if you want, but you dont need to. Its made to have a gloss to the paint itself. Costs a bit more, but I think I can do the whole bus for about $300. I am picking up a spray gun to use with my compressor for about $40. Thats the plan at least. I will be spraying it in a big field that is wide open. I may get some bugs and dirt, but the urethane is made to be wet sanded and buffed out for any runs and bugs and still look great. Its a dupont product I believe, and have heard nothing but great things. Its the same stuff they are using for tractor equipment nowadays. Just what I plan on doing. Who knows tho, I may end up using a roller too. Best made plans....

Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I'm gonna paint mine with base/clear. Being a car painter, why not?

Problem is, so...so many colors to choose from!

But, I think that for acrylic enamel with hardener, Tractor Supply may be the best deal out there.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

1- Did you consider and/or use Rustoleum to paint your bus?
I did originally but the guy who painted my bus said that it wouldnt hold a shine for very long and would have to repaint it pretty quickly. I bought XO Rust but he made me return it, said it takes too long to dry and he has had problems with the surface cracking. So I used Richards equiv of rustoleum. It took forever to harden, scratches fairly easy and doesnt have a really nice gloss to it although it did at first. He uses rustoleum alot for trailers and for painting the frame rails etc on trucks.

2- If you considered it, but didn't use it....why not? What did you use?
Used Nason 2k

(feel free to add anything else you like)

Following questions strictly for Rustoleum paint:

3- How did you apply it?
Sprayed on (interior Rustoleum equiv and the Nason 2K exterior)

4- How long ago did you paint your bus?
3-4 months?

5- How do you feel it's held-up, including any problems like flaking, fading, chipping, staining, chaulking, etc. Please list any problems you had I didn't mention.
Really well, with the Nason 2k - has taken a few hits here and there with no damage. Its on the painters pickup and it still looks good after 2 years with the exception of the overspray that has landed on it. With the air dry (rustoleum) it scratched easily and has lost quite a bit of its gloss without even beig exposed to the elements.

6- Would you use it again for an overall paint? Why or why not?
Yes without a doubt with the Urethane Nason 2k. Wouldnt use clear since it was sprayed outside, the clear magnifies every little spec of dirt and can end up looking pretty bad. With the single stage, the contaminates are hidden in the paint. If I had a booth, Id use a base/clear. I dont think I would use the Rustoleum or equiv again on anything but the frame since it didnt hold a shine very well. Its a fairly durable paint when dry but just doesnt look that good. I had an old truck painted with it, same deal.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

We used Kelly Moore brand industrial metal paint and then an auto clearcoat. Still holding up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
smallerP4280381.jpg  
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

When the time comes for me. I'll be spraying it with automotive paint. My father is a Chemist for a major paint company so I got the hook up on free paint, primer, bondo, and clear coatings and If my timing is right I could just get a good hook up on sheet metal they have used for test sprays. If I didn't have the hookup then I would probably use Rustoleum.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Bus Nut

1- Did you consider and/or use Rustoleum to paint your bus?
Yes I considered it, and that is what I used...

2- If you considered it, but didn't use it....why not? What did you use?
N/A

3- How did you apply it?
First of all, I had to mix it down a little according to instructions on the side of the can, the mix-down was 15% Acetone to thin it a little... I then used a HPLV sprayer and did the paint job outdoors. It came out very well, only found 1 bug stuck to it.

4- How long ago did you paint your bus?
I think it was 3+ years ago...

5- How do you feel it's held-up, including any problems like flaking, fading, chipping, staining, chaulking, etc. Please list any problems you had I didn't mention.

Rustoleum is great stuff if you want something that will stick to anything. So with that in mind I did NOT do any sanding on my bus, I simply wiped it down with Acetone to remove any prior (yellow) oxidation, dirt-grime, etc... I had a couple of spots where it did chip with contact by a tool or hard object. I also had some flake off where the Roof A/C run-off had dripped all summer long. Though it seemed like it would loose it's shine, all I had to do was wash it and it would shine again. I did notice that in the last couple of months the front valence over the drivers windshield was oxidizing or chalking, and some of the oxidization would run down the windshield and leave white streaks on the glass...wiped up easily though.

6- Would you use it again for an overall paint? Why or why not?
If I was willing to sand the bus first, I'd use an automotive paint. But that is a lot of surface to try and sand. Not sure I'd use it again or not, I could see it developing some issues...but it otherwise worked well enough.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

1) I used a modified enamel (implement)that Car Quest sells for $35 a gallon. It pretty much is rustoleum in my opinion.
2) was reccomended to me by the paint guy, said a lot of people use it to paint equipment that is exposed to the weather.
3) sprayed over a regular automotive primer after sanding
4) 2006
5) only problem I can see is it's slow drying and scratches easy until the sun bakes it for a few days or weeks (no clear
coat). Still shines good, no fading I can see, no chalking, looks great. Limited amount of colors though. Look at my air dam picture, how does it look?

WARNING TO ALL PAINTERS!!! Urethane paints contain cyanide, you must have a fresh air helmet to keep you away from any and all fumes, filter masks won't cut it.
sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I fixed my post.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote