Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Check with a good auto store for the cost of auto paint if your going to take the time might as well know what it would have cost, if you are spraying it might be worth it. The other thing is maybe prime with auto primer because its cheap then switch to something for the top coat. No matter what spraying is superior.
Mike Hathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I've thought about going all out and putting some good expensive paint on mine. But I'd feel more inclined to actually spend many weeks perfecting the body panels and then I'd feel even more inclined to wash and wax the bus on a regular basis.

That said, I'd love to go crazy with some sort of bass boat finish.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I used spray can clear coat with great results.

5 years alter the blue Rustoleum on the "Haul All" still looks great.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #14
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Remember that you can add "hardener" to any oil based paint including Rustoleum. Makes for a little more gloss and a much more durable finish. Likewise..."Floetrol" will make it go on smoother and help eliminate orange peel.

One more suggestion...if you never done much spray a little practicing BEFORE you start shooting your bus. Just about anything reasonably smooth will do to get the feel of it. Just do it using the same mix formula you plan on putting on your rig.

Who knows...maybe your wife will love the Fridge matching the bus.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
I'm in the process of refinishing all my windows (all 28 of them), I pulled them all and then used Rustoleum spray can auto primer followed up with rustoleum spray can semi gloss black. The windows are looking great, BUT using those rattle cans sucks and gets expensive!

For the body, I'm going to use automotive primer and paint. I think it will run less than $450 in materials depending on the paint. I only want to do this once, that's why I'm looking at Auto paint instead of just spray Rustoleum.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
First off you don't need to prime anything. As long as you lightly sand. Only take off the clear coat. If you go past the clear coat and start taking off paint you will NEED to prime. I personally as an ex autobody technician recommend using 180 grit and scotch Brite. So sand the full thing down but don't just sand one direction constantly switch directions with that being said use an orbital sander. And enamel paint is alright to use.
nickyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote