Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Painting over rustoleum painted skoolie

I'm thinking of totally repainting the skoolie, which was done witha few coats of rustoleum. Problem is the color I want to do isn't one of rustoleums (or at least not one I can get hands on).

So what type or brand of paint will paint over a skoolie done in rustoleum that has never been waxed? Is there a way this can be done or am I doomed... dooooomed?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Re: Painting over rustoleum painted skoolie

An Acrylic Enamel paint will paint over most other types of paint but check it out in a hidden patch just in case. I suggest using a primer sealer first then paint. ask your local automotive paint supplier ( sherwin williams, dupont, House of kolor, etc) they are usally very helpful at least mine was and I didn't have to buy anything from them, I was honest with them and told them what I wanted to do and I was getting prices.

I plan on sanding mine with 220 grit then 400 if i'm entergentic if not what the heck Earl Schibe only used 220 on some spots back in my time.

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

as i see it, there are a number of factors to consider, like how cured the rustoleum is, type of reducer and amount if acrilic enamel is used, etc. i have had some problems painting over rustoleum which is a completely different base than the automotive enamel. But, since i use epoxy primer on almost everything now, i don't have any problems.
and there are paints with the same base as rustoleum which you can get tinted whatever color you want. My automotive paint store doesn't carry them, Rodda paint here in town does, so you might have to look around.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Thanks!
The paint job is going on two years of curing now My worry is the difference of rustoleum comapred to other paints, and the amount of build up on the bus. Especially that annoying pine tree sap which coats everything in the northwest. That crud just doesn't want to come off. I can't do a lot of sanding as I'm in campgrounds which don't allow tools. Even painting has to be done in small sections 'cause I can't tape off the entire bus. "descrete and quiet" is allowed.

Figure a super wash job then maybe epoxy a section, paint with more rustoleum or acrylic enamel? Gotta test out what will wash off that pine crud 'cause last wash didn't remove it.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We've had good luck using the orange based "gel bug & tar remover" products for autos to remove pine sap. For painting the bus, I used deglosser and wiped it down until the section was shiny. I have no clue as to what I was painting over. It was shiny & white. Or shiny & blue when I finished with the deglosser. Then I rolled on the Rust Stop we had custom tinted at ACE hardware. I have discovered the paint is chipping off in a couple of places (rub rails) on one side of the bus. It was the side that got hot while I was deglossing/painting. The paint would dry on the paint brush between the time I dipped it into the paint and the time I could get it on the bus. So I won't be touching up the paint until the days and the bus itself stop being so hot. I only sanded a few spots that we filled with bondo.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote