Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: Painting Questions

On the roof paint I must agree, the elastomer roof paint rocks. I sprayed body with automotive paint to I am unsure on the use of house paints. I have painted a few things with a brush with the oil based enamel paints and they have held their own. (boats, toy's ect...) It is all about the prep though when it comes to paint. Have fun look forward to seeing the pictures!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiethefloorguy
Am i suppose to use an exterior paint?
And what about using Marine Paint?
Do i still apply a clear after spraying with any paint?
What about the Roof?, do i paint it same color with or without microbeads, or paint it white with or without microbeads
At my local home center this is what they Have http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Exter...atalogId=10053

I don't know about the marine paint, it should work fine. I used Rustoleum on mine and it seems to be holding up.

The paint I would never recommend is Latex (water based paint).
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
...The paint I would never recommend is Latex (water based paint).
I painted my RV with ACE Latex Satin House paint.... with a paint brush in 2006. I first washed the aluminum siding with soap and water to get the dirt off... most of the remaining vintage paint washed off with the dirt. The reminder of the paint came off when I wiped the exterior down with lacquer thinner. Then I primed the bare metal with a latex aluminum/galvanized metal primer that I had leftover from another project. I'm still using the same gallon can of stuff on the bus (priming all the aluminum that I am painting). A little seems to go a long ways. I wouldn't use it over an oil based paint (like what is on our bus) but it is holding up pretty well on the RV and it has a long warranty life on it.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
...The paint I would never recommend is Latex (water based paint).
I painted my RV with ACE Latex Satin House paint.... with a paint brush in 2006. I first washed the aluminum siding with soap and water to get the dirt off... most of the remaining vintage paint washed off with the dirt. The reminder of the paint came off when I wiped the exterior down with lacquer thinner. Then I primed the bare metal with a latex aluminum/galvanized metal primer that I had leftover from another project. I'm still using the same gallon can of stuff on the bus (priming all the aluminum that I am painting). A little seems to go a long ways. I wouldn't use it over an oil based paint (like what is on our bus) but it is holding up pretty well on the RV and it has a long warranty life on it.
I agree, Latex works fine until you try to take it off.

We painted my uncle's car with latex (left over exterior grade, pale green, from when he painted his house, yuck). When we tried to take it off (his son got the car), it was hell. The stuff didn't want to come off.

After that, I never painted a car with latex.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

I suppose it is only fair to mention mine only got sprayed because MN weather in the winter leaves most activities out of the question so a warm pole barn, a few 6 packs and bunch of bored buddies equaled my paint job. I was going to roll mine as well and at times wish I had so I wouldn't be so anal about making body alterations later down the road.