Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Passenger Seat

We have just purchased our 2nd bus to convert and I was thinking about adding a passenger seat right next to the drivers seat. I was thinking about a fold down platform over the stairs but am not sure if that will work.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Father_of_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I was going to do a platform (not with a chair on it though. I started a topic for it a while ago but I never got any response.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54

Basically I was just going to have hinges on the rear of the stair and it would flip up next my refer and then could be dropped down real easily.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

i have also decided that my skoolie could benifit from a navigators chair....but have not come up with a good solution as of yet.

It's quite common for someone to stand or sit on the stairs while traveling. They keep me company.

How many of you have stood in the doorway with the door open and taken a leak while going down the road??

just curious?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Co-driver seat

There are many options for providing a right side seat. Some of the methods are, a fold down stair cover, a sliding seat over cover, and a powered seat and cover operated by a air cylinder or electric gear motor and chain. Some seats are allowed to move on track in an arc or an angle. Some seats must be mounted with a high base as to pass over the wheel wells. I have also seen where the seat is mounted to a turn table that allows the seat to swing an arc toward the front and door. A few buses have the stair cover moved by door, as the door is closed and the cover is in place........ There seems to be no set design and each bus is different. Ya just gotta experiment and find the best way for you......
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

passenger seat--or Navigator's Seat!

I've got a flat-nose Blue Bird. The step well curves slightly as it comes on to the bus. I took a surplus seat and did the following: (1) Cut the seat back off. (2) Cut the front leg off because it would have hung out in the air. I took as much off as I could get with the Sawzall. (3) Cut a section out of the seat to make it narrower. (4) Welded it back together in it's narrower form and reinforced the splice with some channel iron. Put the flat side out. (5) Took the leg that I cut off and attached it to the splice so that it now comes backward and mounts to the floor. (6) Put a 45 degree brace connecting the inside of the seat-bottom frame to the back leg. (7) Installed a new leg on the inside coming off the 45 degree brace to connect to the floor.

Yet to be done is narrowing the wooden seat bottom and getting a seat cover modified. And . . . yes, I am going to install a seat belt and shoulder harness. That is what I have been doing lately.

If you want an email picture of this, email me at mailto:herbandall@yahoo.com.

Herb From Utah (My name really isn't "Bob" BOBB stands for Big old Blue Bus.
Skoolie BOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Almost There

seat

I have a nav. seat in my bus with a flip down cover that covers the stair well when in transit. THen when we reach our destination the cover flips up and the nav seat swivels around to face the rear and becomes the other seat of the dinette booth.
In search of Bus #2
(Sold)1989 Chevy Thomas 8.2 Detroit Allison AT545 Custom 3rd door added in back.
GM Service Tech
JonCBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
Almost There

Passenger Seat

Each and every one of us has different ideas for thier bus projects, thank God . I was convinced that I did not want to be looking over my shoulder and trying to converse with another while I was driving.(It's not that driving is so hard it's the fact that I don't want to keep turning my head 120* to talk to someone) My idea was to sit side by side with a large console in the middle. This also eliminated the ingress egress in front of the passenger seat. My solution is to sheet over the existing stair well in my 78 Crown "Father". to do this I located and purchased a window that was identical to the drivers window and a seat that is identical to the drivers seat. The idea of course is to place a passenger seat on the new floor sheeting opposite the drivers seat, Place a window in the new sheet metal area now covering the old door and use the area of the old foot well as a storage compartment. ( in my case a gennie will be placed there).

To accomplish this idea I cut a new entry door midship in the Crown on the passenger side.. Now I have a mid entry door and will be able to swing the front passenger seat around to face the rear of the bus when stopped. This effectively enlarges the living room space for me. The other thought was that in case of an accident that the most likely effected area would be the front of the bus. This modification would eliminate the front exit area door from being blocked in case of a front end colliision. As was pointed out earlier there are a multitude of ways to do things on our projects. If it makes you happy do it your way . It is nice to have a place to explore a few possibilities.

Merry Christmas everyone, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I just set up a passenger seat in my 1987 Bluebird. The driver's compartment is small, now that I constructed a wall just behind the seat. I bought a 'captain's' chair (a bucket seat from a used vehicle) cheaply. It has a base with holes in it so I placed the chair next to the driver's seat, drilled two 1/2" holes, making sure I didn't pierce anything underneath that I didn't want to, and bolted the seat down. It is quite sturdy, swivels, has a seat belt built-in, and I didn't have to do anything else. There's a little bit of climbing over it for the driver to get out, but since we plan on leaving the bus in one place for extended periods of time and do a minimum of driving, this seemed like the easiest and cheapest solution. Plus the seat comes out very easily to be used in my other bus.

Hope this helps.
skyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCBrand View Post
I have a nav. seat in my bus with a flip down cover that covers the stair well when in transit. THen when we reach our destination the cover flips up and the nav seat swivels around to face the rear and becomes the other seat of the dinette booth.

Yup......exactly what I want to do / I've seen one you tube video that was close. I bought an older Chevy truck passenger seat where the shoulder strap belt is incorporated into the seat......but the base is fairly wide ( not sure how I'll turn it into a swivel but i really want to have it lock forward but unlock and swivel back ......maybe with a pin for forward position )

I've also thought about doing a jump seat.......they can be father forward because they're wall mounted ......hmmmmmm
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #10
Skoolie

Holy necropost, Batman!

The thread has been dead for 15 years, and the guy you quoted hasn't posted in 7.

But, TBH, I'm surprised the topic hasn't gotten more attention.