Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Perfect Kitchen Spaces

I found this while surfing the Chive today. It's a company called kitchoo (http://www.kitchoo.com/) that creates super compact kitchen spaces for apartments. The idea is perfect for a skoolie and I knew folks here could appreciate the link.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Perfect Kitchen Spaces

They have tried to sell these for years in the US. A few upscale hotels have them but they don't seem to take off well here. They were pushing them hard in the late 80's when I had a cabinet shop. Basically they are a 32mm cabinet with a bar sink, an under counter refrigerator with a matching panel applied to the door and sometimes they had a two burner cooktop above the refrigerator. From what I understand, this is an acceptable kitchen in Europe.

Also available from Amazon (look up compact kitchen)

Avanti CK361

For other makes try AJ Madison You can duplicate these setups. Height would be a problem with the tall units. but this would be a good spot to copy a layout for the galley.

they need to add a dishwasher!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

We crazy Americans are a little slow to catch on to good things. But there's enough talented folks here that could probably make their own kitchenette based on these excellent designs.

It's something I'm thinking more and more about as I start looking at buying another bus. Waiting, "for the house to sell" isn't going to happen in this market. But if I can refinance at the current ridiculously low interest rates the banks are offering now, I might have enough extra cash to afford to follow through this time around.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yep, I'm going to build one of them fancy european kitchens in my bus, but the pieces are going to be (or are) the stuff that goes for next to nothing dollar wise.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Yep, I'm going to build one of them fancy European kitchens in my bus, but the pieces are going to be (or are) the stuff that goes for next to nothing dollar wise.
The "fancy" 32mm Euro cabinets are because Europe has way less wood than we have. They also have way less hardwoods as well. So they make the cabinet "boxes" out of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), HDF (High Density Fiberboard) or HDPB (High Density Particle Board). Both interior and exterior are covered with Melamine (low pressure plastic Laminate) and/or High Pressure Laminate.. The exposed front edge is usually capped with a PVC edge banding. It doesn't matter who made the box. They are all the same. The difference is in the doors. These range from simple laminate covered sheets of particle board up to exotic woods with hand rubbed finishes. There are a few American and Canadian Manufacturers who make what is called a "solid wood box" in a 32mm. These are generally 3/4" plywood (5 ply cabinet grade) and clear finished on the interior. Exterior will be often be skinned with a fine veneer to match the doors.

I am a former cabinet shop owner and kitchen/bath designer (I sold Wellborn as the low end. Decora as the midrange and Plain & Fancy/Carriage House as the "high" end), cabinet installer for a couple of decades, David ran two cabinet shops (one while still in high school) and a custom countertop shop. While we installed in SC, David was considered the best in the state. So between the two of us, we know a little bit about cabinets. I would be leery of installing a particle board cabinet in a mobile unit. But that's us. We are building a lifetime home, not a weekend bus. So our cabinets will be built out of plywood. I'm not planning on doing another bus conversion.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
... So they make the cabinet "boxes" out of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), HDF (High Density Fiberboard) or HDPB (High Density Particle Board)... I would be leery of installing a particle board cabinet in a mobile unit...
I'm not a fan of any of those "wood-like" substances. I've been on a mission to purge my house of all items built from that crap. Usually what happens is the bottom is not wrapped in any protective laminate, so it gets moist or wet and then swells up and starts to disintegrate. I hate that stuff! I've got a few large pieces of it in my garage that I've been tempted to use for something like maybe shelves that would not be in contact with the floor, but thus far I haven't been able to get past my aversion to the stuff.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Bus Geek

The high density stuff will outlast the "regular" stuff. But it is "special" and unless you are near a place that sells materials to the pro cabinet builders or Top Shops, you aren't going to find PB that is really high density. It also weighs a TON. 5ply is much lighter and more durable. And no, they DO NOT seal the bottoms. We prefer a 2X4 toe kick even with a plywood box.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by id stitch
Regarding your Re Fi idea, try to remember that most people underwater on their houses today are that way because of that " Killer Re Fi Deal" they got, and then got greedy with their Equity Line of Credit. Iv'e just seen too many freinds end up hating life after a quick money plan. My two cents worth anyway, best of luck to you.
No worries. I'm not taking out extra money, merely financing what I currently owe on the house at a rate that will be significantly lower than what I have now. Except for the mortgage, I'm happily debt free right this moment. Unfortunately that doesn't help because after going from a 2-person-household down to just me, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I'm tired of it and the opportunity is too good to pass up. Thanks for the concern, though!