Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Perhaps you can learn from my mistakes

Hello there. So just over a year into my project, with several to go as I am having to learn each skill as I go. Just wanted to offer some advice since while many folks on this site are very skilled, perhaps a few are like me.

1. When planning layout think about keeping plumbing together rather than having to cross bus for cold or hot water, holding tank, etc. Luckily I caught this in time.
2. So ends up that DC loses current (and produces heat) the further it runs. I put my battery in front and my biggest draw (fridge) in back and now have to use a huge wire gauge. So think about distance from battery to high draw items as it will save you money and make pulling wires a lot easier.
3. Flooring - wish with my 3 1/2 inches of space that I had run some conduit under there to make running wire easier.
4. Waterproofing bus. In the PNW, we are dry in the summer so my issues didn't show themselves until Oct. (bought bus in August). If I did this again I would just assume the roof seams needed caulking and the roof needed several coats of elastomer paint. As well as caulking all the windows. I did that with them in place and it has worked fine.
5. If you are like me you will look at the engine and ponder what is what. I have worked on 70's cars, but diesel is a mystery. If you have a Cummins, know about their quickserve site which has schematics of all the systems. VERY helpful to understand, even if you have to hire a mechanic.
6. My bus was cranky starting, now it won't start and I very much wish I had left it in a more accessible spot. So perhaps know that with them sitting so long they might not start some day so think about where you park them.

Good luck on your project and know while it gets very discouraging, just don't give up. I am living in mine which makes it valuable regardless of how long it takes me to add amenities.

druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Good advice all.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, electrical, mistakes, plans, plumbing