Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Pick one thing........

wow one thing thats tough
the experience of learning tools i havnt used before this bus will eventually "**** the bed" but it will be along while before i forget how to properly use an angle grinder....... metal drill bits ...etc ......
meh probably wasnt what u meant but thats what im cherishing right now

cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

As a wiring/radio geek it would probably eventually be the electrical system or electronics.

But since I'm not a cabinetmaker, I usually have gaps of 1/64", 1/32" or more where materials are supposed to meet, which always leaves ugly dark gaps. If I could get all the cuts to fit perfectly, I think I would be more proud of that.

I still remember that, as a kid in elementary school, I was embarrassed by my mother boasting of an "A" I got in a subject that came naturally to me. I was much more proud of an average grade I earned in a subject I struggled with.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Skoolie

I don't have a bus yet, but I would have to say the great people and wealth of knowledge on this forum. Without all of you this forum wouldn't be that great and I would still be sitting here lost and scratching my head trying to wing it the best I can. At least now I can wing it with some confidence.

As far as my conversion goes. I am getting a great deal of planning and figuring out what I need and don't need done so when that day comes that I pick up my bus, I will know what I want and where to start and how to tackle it.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: International DTA 360
Rated Cap: 65

Being able to back my bus up into our long narrow driveway with inches to spare on either side.

"Make it so Number One"

https://errabundusbus.blogspot.com/
ErrabundusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Well to tell the truth I didn't do as good a job on the bus as I'd of liked to. Since we had only 3 weeks before we were homeless- I did what I could with what we had... but after the thee weeks when we pulled out and hit the road, saying "screw you all". That was a proud moment. Now 6 months later, we are warm, dry, safe, fed, and couldn't be happier. The six of us have grown closer as a family- not just from the tight living quarters, but emotionally. That is what I am most proud of.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

So far I am the most proud of our move from MN. Our skoolie was loaded beyond belief. We had all our earthly belongings and all of us pulling our car and it pulled the continental divide on I-90. We slept in the bus and made the trip with no breakdowns and no issues. It was a freeing experience, it has helped me to feel more confident about our situation being travelers without a home and with a family. I was amazed that we could pull off the move so seamlessly, and actually enjoy the experience with 3 kids under 5 years old. The build has just begun for us as were planning the pluming, bathroom, and storage we need. I am looking forward to the future of our experience with our beloved Cloud 9.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190

LOL thanks smitty

Great story- it is liberating to just suddenly take off with no real plan. Terrifying in some respects, but freeing in many others. So far so good with us. We had our troubles, but they worked themselves out. Being on the bus meeting people has actually restored some of my faith in people. Or maybe it's just the Okie way, of things- either way its been fun.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
...that you're most pleased/proud of, either with your finished conversion, or your planned conversion.

Smitty
It is livable in Green Bay in the winter or Death Valley in the summer.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

There is no aspect of my conversion that I find to be particularly awe inspiring or amazing, but it was a great learning experience. The lessons learned will allow me to build a wonderful conversion in the future.

That said, I'm proud of the fact that we went from a bus with seats in it still to an essentially finished and fully livable conversion in ~3 weeks time.