Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Picking up new bus, going on long trip- advice on spares etc

Hi- so I'm picking up a bus in Oregon and driving it down to the SF Bay shortly-

I wanted to get an idea of what kinds of spares I should bring, as I really don't want to get stuck out there.
I'm a pretty mechanical guy and can fix just about anything once I know how it works but my experience with large diesels and air brakes is limited.

I'm gonna buy some stuff like oil, tranny fluid, and antifreeze locally up there- but for the specialty stuff I'm going to have to fly up with it
My list currently looks like:
Toolset
Fuel filter (specific to engine)
Serpentine drive belt (specific to engine)
12T bottle jack (I don't even think I have a lug wrench large enough for those nuts?)
Tire repair kit + fix-a-flat (can truck tires be repaired just like car tires? I would assume so?)
Air compressor

Anything obvious I'm missing?
My toolbox is pretty complete with things like bailing wire and JB-Weld so I can rig stuff if needed but I'm sure there are some specialty parts that I don't know about that would be good to have as spares?
Air fittings etc?
I just don't know- any help would be appreciated
(It's a John-Deere 8.1)

scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Picking up new bus, going on long trip- advice on spares etc

LOL re-reading my post I see I put "fuel filter"- this is a CNG motor, so it's assumed that if anything breaks in the fuel system I'll just be up poo creek and that's that :P

But- anything else "bus related" or "bus specific" that has a good chance of breaking that I'm not thinking of?
Thanks again!

-SS
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Take your hand tools, cell phone and a credit card, if you have tire or engine problems use the cell phone and credit card, truck tires are dangerous and hard work, the t444e is an electronic diesel, if it's converted to run CNG it will be using a detroit diesel electronic control system, the prototypes used 8V92 righthand rotation marine software and Volvo coil on plug technology.

I would imagine that finding CNG filling stations will be your biggest challenge, the fuel filter will be a sintered iron or porous ceramic element in a inline container of some sort, CNG is usually a clean dry fuel.

If you have air brakes you already have a compresser onboard.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry to be confusing-

It's a John Deere 8.1 CNG (the bus in my sig with the 444e is Diesel and I already own it, I'm talking about a new one I'm picking up- a mini BlueBird).
The CNG version of the engine has been discontinued by JD, but the bottom end is just like every other 8.1 Diesel.
It's some kind of Allison pushbutton automatic which I again have NO experience with.

And yeah- CNG fueling stations was part of the problem but it's sorted- I'm picking up in Portland, refueling in Medford, then again at the SAC airport, and then once in the SFBay CNG is all over the place.
Pix of the bus since everyone loves pix!
http://www.hillsborolimo.com/bus.htm
Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Hell yeah!
Man, I love the huge windows.