Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #1

Pirate Bus...

We just acquired a 40' school bus and want to convert it to a pirate bus. I'm sure some of you may have seen the Burning Man pirate bus, and we aren't trying to make it look that fancy because we want to be able to travel all over the country (that bus was just for looks, not street legal). But we need some ideas and input on some of the build issues we are facing. We want to have masts and sails, but they need to be able to fold down and stay secure for travel (for obvious reasons.). We were thinking of using PVC that "telescopes", but don't know if they will support the sails. Also, we want to make cannons that extend out of every 2 windows and actually fire some kind of blanks that smoke; or confetti? What should the cannons be made of? We thought mybe PVC and some kind of clay to shape it. We are on a VERY low budget and want to make this out of what is available. If anyone has ANY ideas, please let us know. The name of our vessel is The Anne Bonny (After the most famous female pirate).

Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
For the cannons, you might try a PVC pipe, valve, and compressed air to shoot confetti.

I think I saw it, in Monster Garage, when they were trying to make a super delivery truck. This truck used a catapult to deliver a package, a compressed air cannon to deliver the newspaper, and I forgot how they delivered the mail.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

As for the cannon shape... I've seen blue styrofoam insulating glued together and then shaped with planes and files. However, that was on a go cart. I'm not sure how it would work on a curved (circular) surface.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

If your bus has air brakes you will have an air source for the cannon.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Skoolie

Shiver me timbers!

CO2 fire extinguishers for 'firing' the confetti, gives a good cloud of 'smoke' when fired...compressed air will do the job also.

PVC for the cannon tubes, and I like the idea of the blue/pink foam glued and carved around the tubes for the cannon shapes. Paint black or bronze....
IF using hairspray propellant (like a spud gun), use cut off chunks of Zoobers pool toys (foam lengths) as 'round shot' (actually cylindrical).
JUST DON"T POINT THEM AT ANYBODY!!!!!!

Masts:
Hinge 'em at the bottom so they fold down atop the roof lengthwise. Use large/heavy hinges, as a loaded mast with sails will exert a HUGE amount of pressure on the bus. Uhhhhh, hmmmm....maybe wind'll tip over the bus?
Fill the bottoms of the hollow masts with wood plugs solidly glued/bolted in place, as bending/hoisting stresses will be high at that point(s).
Hmmm....two angle irons bolted to the bus roof.......drilled mast between them....bolt passing through them all to form the pivot. Yeah, THAT's the ticket!!!!

To attach the cables to the 'masts', use electrical clamps as the attachment points...they accept bolts well, and make an ideal cable attachment setup.

Use steel cables to secure everything fore-and-aft, NOT ropes as ropes will stretch.
Think of it as a giant "ship in a bottle", that's the way they're put in; the masts are raised AFTER the ship is slid in. Except, no bottle!
The shrouds (ropes on the sides of the ship you climb to get up the masts) can be rope, as they don't need to hold a HUGE amount of wind pressure/side loads. Four ropes up each side of a mast, with foot ropes laced in will look really cool, and if done right COULD be climbed....
BTW, they replaced the tarred hemp ropes on the U.S.S. Constitution with black synthetic rope, stronger and much more weather resistant.

Use wood or metal masts, as PVC may not have the strength/bending resistance you'll need....maybe, maybe not. You'll need to experiment with large (4 inch or larger) PVC. I see the glued joints as a weak spot in their length, as they are only 10 feet long, and I'm sure you'll want taller masts.
IIRC, I've seen large PVC pipe with amaller PVC inserted in it, and the space in between filled with rigid foam to stiffen it. Light and pretty stiff.

White plumbing PVC is stronger than the grey electrical PVC, and has more fittings available. BTW, electrical and plumbing PVC do not fit together.....deliberately!
Maybe get a ruined mast or three from a boat yard, to modify? They usually go for scrap price.

PVC yardarms to be swung alongside the masts when lowered. BTW, many yardarms on the larger sailing ships were hung with chains, that makes for a fast 'n easy attachment for the yards on your bus, and flexible too!

The rigging stays attached permanently, and use trailer/boat winches (several working together, sing a chanty when raising the masts).......consider an electric winch to do it faster (but costs more $$$).
Start the raising by hand, then continue up with the winches until fully raised.
BTW, masts look good if raked back (towards the stern) a couple-three degrees, just like real ships.

The PVC can be lightly sanded, washed w/soap and water and then wiped with paint thinner to remove release agents/greasy handprints, and primed/painted.

Can you tell I've been thinking about this for a while?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I was on the pirate ship bus at burningman this past year. I took the photo. That thing is amazing! I wonder if they have a website?

The masts on that ship are made from wood about as big around at the base as a telephone pole... They are held firm with steel cable.

Building a smaller more mobile ship could be done, but it seems that it would cost a good deal of $$$, even if you are good as scrounging for parts.
I have no doubt that if you have the desire, time, and money to put into the project you could do it.

What the attraction that would be!....i can just immagine setting up the mast while parked outside of your favorite bar.

here is a link to the photos i have handy of the pirate ship bus....i might have more somewhere, not sure

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/pirate-ship
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 AM   #7

Yarrrr!!!!

Thanx for the info Ryan! You gave me some great ideas. I really like the fire extinguisher idea. We also need ideas for the masthead if you have any. Thanx again.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Pirate Bus

Contact a guy named "Snook" at http://www.nimbyspace.org
I believe he knows the folks who built the "pirate bus", properly known as LaContessa
Whether he can or will hook you up with the artists, and whether they will help, is out of my hands!!
Been to Burningman 11 years straight!!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Cannon

Do a yahoo of "carbide cannon" There's a PDF around of an old '70's article
I built one, but plumbed in a valve to my acetylene tank, and also connected a piezo BBQ igniter.
Finally, I plumbed in an air line.

To fire, give it a "one, two" count of acetylene.
Hit the BBQ igniter once, twice.
If no "BOOM", give a quick shot of air. The "mixture" may be too rich.
Hit the igniter.
"BOOM"
Blow air thru the cannon to clear the burnt gases, start again.
Don't fire too often, or it will overheat.

NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN THE CANNON (a bit of talcum powder will make a cloud) IT WILL EXPLODE!!!
Dire consequences for you and those around will result.

Wear hearing protection. This thing is LOUD
WARN EVERYBODY in the area before firing...This thing is LOUD, and you will piss off those nearby who weren't warned.

Think before you use.....the wrong place could get you put in jail etc.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
You can buy REAL cannons from Dixie Gun Works...
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote