Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: The Columbia River Gorge
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Travelling long distance with 2 people aboard with all of the amenities you desire will be extremely "crowded" on a short bus.

If you can live without a dedicated bathroom/shower onboard, it might be more doable but it will still be tight space wise.
Go mid size at a bare minimum, if a bath/shower is a "must have"...
What size would you suggest for a mid size bus? My worry is about driving a vehicle that is long when trying to drive from place to place and about parking in a reasonable location.
axe8148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 377
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe8148 View Post
What size would you suggest for a mid size bus? My worry is about driving a vehicle that is long when trying to drive from place to place and about parking in a reasonable location.
25~30 foot bumper to bumper, maybe?
The bus parking issue is real but it's something you and/or your G/F, whoever is the designated driver, will have to wrap your head around and embrace if you go forward with your plan/dream.
RV's and schoolie conversions are all "oversized" when compared to cars. Obviously some are bigger than others, and you'll have to figure out what will work for you. Finances will also definitely come into play, as the bigger the vehicle, the more $$ it'll be to buy and maintain.
Having a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude/ability is a bonus, but not 100% necessary in piloting a schoolie across the country.

My suggestion is go to a used RV dealer and check out the different sized/classes of offerings on their lot.
That will give you an idea of what overall length might work best. It should also give you an idea of the types and quality of interior furnishings that can be fitted into small, mid sized, and full sized RV's or ultimately, school busses.

They might even allow a test drive, if you ask nicely and can convince them you are a serious customer and not simply a tire kicker/waste of time for the salesperson?
Good luck!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: The Columbia River Gorge
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
25~30 foot bumper to bumper, maybe?
The bus parking issue is real but it's something you and/or your G/F, whoever is the designated driver, will have to wrap your head around and embrace if you go forward with your plan/dream.
RV's and schoolie conversions are all "oversized" when compared to cars. Obviously some are bigger than others, and you'll have to figure out what will work for you. Finances will also definitely come into play, as the bigger the vehicle, the more $$ it'll be to buy and maintain.
Having a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude/ability is a bonus, but not 100% necessary in piloting a schoolie across the country.

My suggestion is go to a used RV dealer and check out the different sized/classes of offerings on their lot.
That will give you an idea of what overall length might work best. It should also give you an idea of the types and quality of interior furnishings that can be fitted into small, mid sized, and full sized RV's or ultimately, school busses.

They might even allow a test drive, if you ask nicely and can convince them you are a serious customer and not simply a tire kicker/waste of time for the salesperson?
Good luck!
thank you very much for this advice! I'll probably be the one driving most the time. I don't have to much mechanical aptitude but I plan on putting in the hours to learn how to do the work so if there's any issues on the road I will be able to troubleshoot the problem w/o having to rely on a mechanic.
axe8148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 524
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Travelling long distance with 2 people aboard with all of the amenities you desire will be extremely "crowded" on a short bus.

If you can live without a dedicated bathroom/shower onboard, it might be more doable but it will still be tight space wise.
Go mid size at a bare minimum, if a bath/shower is a "must have"...
As the possessor of a well-aged bladder, I don't see how life in a bathroom-less vehicle is possible.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,783
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As the possessor of a well-aged bladder, I don't see how life in a bathroom-less vehicle is possible.
One solution- This is what was in the TC2000 I bought, don't know how he lived like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190411_123412.jpg (176.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190411_121614.jpg (65.6 KB, 4 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 524
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
One solution- This is what was in the TC2000 I bought, don't know how he lived like this.
Yeesh. As hard as it is to understand someone living like that, it's even harder to understand them leaving that behind for you. Did the prior owner die or something?
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,783
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeesh. As hard as it is to understand someone living like that, it's even harder to understand them leaving that behind for you. Did the prior owner die or something?
Bus was impounded for no insurance in Ga. Owner was in Va. and didn't have the tow fees to get it out. First thing I asked him was wear his "bathroom" was in the bus. It had dark curtains all around so I couldn't see jack. He said it was in the back and that he normally cleans it out on Sunday and hadn't gotten to it before it was impounded. The bucket was under the head of his bed. Bathroom duties hadn't been cleaned out in months.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oberlin, Kansas
Posts: 1,380
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
axe;

Also have someone as a dedicated "spotter" for those tight spaces and difficult turns. Create a system of signaling that works best for you and your significant other. Practice with a regular vehicle before going large scale. This way any "miscommunications" won't turn into "catastrophic" lessons..... Don't forget to ALWAYS be able to see the spotter in your mirrors, thus the spotter is moving as you are moving in tight spots to stay in your line of sight and make sound judgment calls. It takes some time to get really good at doing this, but the effort is so worth while! My wife knows exactly where I want to be and how I want to get there because we practice every time an opportunity presents itself. We walk the area, talk about how I want to cover blind spots, and how she will walk and spot me in my blind areas.

Hope this helps!

M
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.