Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Please help us evaluate tire condition

Our newly-purchased short-bus (3800 chassis, 6-window) will need to be driven home from Austin TX to Phoenix AZ. 1000 miles.

The bus itself was taken out of service in October, 2018. I 'assume' that means it was transporting kids on these tires up until that time (could be wrong).

Since there are many unknowns with this purchase, I'd like to save as much $$ as possible for potential on-site or - worst case - roadside repairs necessary to get her home. So while we can replace all tires if necessary before hitting the road, I'd rather not unless it's necessary.

Obviously, only so much you can tell from pics. But we'd appreciate any & all advice regarding the suitability of these tires for our 1K trip. Leave them be, change just the steers, get new everything... whatcha think?
Attached Thumbnails
drive_tires_1.jpeg   drive_tires_2.jpeg   left_front_tire.jpeg   right_front_tire.jpeg  

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
[QUOTE=TheHubbardBus;330896]Our newly-purchased short-bus (3800 chassis, 6-window) will need to be driven home from Austin TX to Phoenix AZ. 1000 miles.

The bus itself was taken out of service in October, 2018. I 'assume' that means it was transporting kids on these tires up until that time (could be wrong).

Since there are many unknowns with this purchase, I'd like to save as much $$ as possible for potential on-site or - worst case - roadside repairs necessary to get her home. So while we can replace all tires if necessary before hitting the road, I'd rather not unless it's necessary.

Obviously, only so much you can tell from pics. But we'd appreciate any & all advice regarding the suitability of these tires for our 1K trip. Leave them be, change just the steers, get new everything... whatcha think?[/QUOTe

judging by the pictures only, I'd be quite confident to go on an extended trip with them on my bus
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Aside from the bad moustache, looks really good- lotsa meat and cleat all around, and the steer sidewalls look nice, too.
Long as they're fully aired up, I don't believe I'd air on the side of caution with 'em, not for a short, hiway jaunt like you're looking forward to.
Do you have the DOT manfuctered sidewall number on them? Not necessarily necessary, just good to know...
(Naturally, in the event of a blow out, all prior opinions are rendered null and void! [emoji6])
Best have Good Sam's roadside assistance up to date, JIC...
Maybe buy a new steer, especially if no spare tire included with the purchase. Can be run on a drive in a pinch, not so good vice versa.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Navistar International
Chassis: amtran 3000
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 77
my 2 cents

they look good to me but just take it to a near by tire shop for a im sure free tire check they will even check and air it up if needed
2002Amtranvacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
judging by the pictures only, I'd be quite confident to go on an extended trip with them on my bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Aside from the bad moustache
True dat, but I feel the Iron Maiden shirt makes up for it.

Quote:
looks really good- lotsa meat and cleat all around, and the steer sidewalls look nice, too.
Long as they're fully aired up, I don't believe I'd air on the side of caution with 'em, not for a short, hiway jaunt like you're looking forward to.
Nice. And speaking of air, is there any reason not to run close to max inflation pressure regardless of load (which will be non-existent)? I'm thinking less flex, less heat, less problems. But my thinking can be opaque at times.

Quote:
Do you have the DOT manfuctered sidewall number on them? Not necessarily necessary, just good to know...
No... you know as much as I we do at the moment.

Quote:
Naturally, in the event of a blow out, all prior opinions are rendered null and void!
Too late. I had already taken a screenshot of your post before you edited it and forwarded to our local ambulance-chasing TV-attorney. He says we've got a case!

Quote:
Best have Good Sam's roadside assistance up to date, JIC...
Maybe buy a new steer, especially if no spare tire included with the purchase. Can be run on a drive in a pinch, not so good vice versa.

On it.

Muchas Gracias to you both

Old 06-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Amtranvacationer View Post
they look good to me but just take it to a near by tire shop for a im sure free tire check they will even check and air it up if needed

Thanks so much! Will do.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
This woulda been so much easier to've NOT done on the fon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post

True dat, but I feel the Iron Maiden shirt makes up for it.
Good point.
"Guns don't kill people.
"People with moustaches kill people."

Quote:
Nice. And speaking of air, is there any reason not to run close to max inflation pressure regardless of load (which will be non-existent)? I'm thinking less flex, less heat, less problems. But my thinking can be opaque at times.
I prefer keeping mine close to sidewall max recommended PSI (Or kPa, for our friends across the border).
It reduces rolling resistance, so while they won't roll much cooler, they won't run hotter! Not a huge savings on a bus, but it does help the fuel economy. Also it improves tire wear, and, as an added bonus, ensures that you sharply feel every irregularity in the road...
Look up Hyper-Miling for more.
Quote:
Too late. I had already taken a screenshot of your post before you edited it and forwarded to our local ambulance-chasing TV-attorney. He says we've got a case!
dangit
Old 06-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'd run on those. I'd keep air pressure minimum 90 PSI (one company I worked for considered tires "Flat" at 85 PSI, and company policy was *VERY* strict about it). Of course a full pre-trip inspection is warranted but from what I see, I'd run indefinitely on 'em.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Here is what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has to say. It includes how to read date of tire manufacture codes on all tires. Some truck tires have the date code only on one side:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/...images/9719...2713_v4_tag.pd...

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Tires could look brand new and be total trash. Check the date codes on the tires, there should be a 4 digit code telling you what month and year they were manufactured.
The tire below was made in the 35th week of 2007
Attached Thumbnails
download (2).jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote