Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
Please look at this bus for me.

Hi and thanks for looking!

I did some googling but very little showed up about the transmission on this bus. It's a Vogath??

Do any of you have any insight on whether this would be a good candidate for conversion?? I appreciate any comments one way or the other.

Here is the link:

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2145585

shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Skoolie

bump

I only have 2 days left on this auction

OH AND ITS A VOITH TRANNY. I have a bad feeling about its desirability
Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Getting towards 600k , time for a rebuild soon!
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Skoolie

I don't know. I'm hoping someone has an opinion
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Bus Geek

That was one.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Getting towards 600k , time for a rebuild soon?
The transmission has been replaced in 2013. There is nothing wrong with Voith transmissions; they are popular choices in Gillig buses. It is just harder to find someone who knows how to work on them since they do not have the overall market share (for trucks and buses) that Allison has in this country.

The reason for transmission replacements in transit buses is the wear on the lower gear clutches in that application. If you use the bus over the road, the transmission is going to last substantially longer since it has to go through much less shift cycles. (BTW, I was looking at three Gillig transit buses where the Allison B400R transmissions were replaced after about 250k miles. Does that make Allison a bad brand? No, it just confirms that never ending stop-and-go operation is a bear for any transmission)

The engine of the bus you linked is a Cummins 8.9L ISL, a stroked derivative of the 8.3L ISC. If the engine is indeed the first one, it's going to be tired but replacement ISLs can be found from wrecked class A RVs. That may sound like a scary proposition but keep in mind that this swap will not only get you a fresher engine but will also get you from the typical 280 hp configuration for transit buses to the 380-400 hp configuration for RVs. I would drive the bus around with its original engine while converting it and then install a more powerful low-mile ISL when coming across a good deal. Since you are not lugging 50+ people around while constantly burying the gas pedal, the transmission will handle the additional horsepower. Also, the ISLs variants installed in buses and RVs are electronically limited to the same maximum torque in order to protect the transmission.

The bus in the linked photos is a Phantom, also known as "high floor" transit. You will have 78" of stand up height in the center throughout the interior length of the bus. Above the windows are angled ducts on either side of the bus that you need to leave in place. They reduce the ceiling height near the windows and you have to cutout the partition walls accordingly. The bottom panels of the windows will open (originally as emergency exits) and swing out around a top hinge. If you prop them open with a rod, you will have great ventilation being parked. There is space under the floor to install water tanks and other stuff but it is not as much space and not as easy of a job as it would be on a motor coach having baggage compartments. Some people have closed the rear door and used the former stair well space for a sunken shower. Sinking the shower pan into the stairwell makes up for the lost height from the ducts running along the sides of the bus.

Gillig also makes low floor transit buses that have a huge amount of head space from about a foot forward of the rear wheels all the way to the windshield. However there is no (zero!) space under the bus to install anything in that section. You would have to install a raised floor under which the water tanks and other utilities are located. If you raise the floor, you may also be able to use the ridiculously tall front wheel wells for seating. The rear section of the Gillig low floor buses has a higher floor from the factory and there is not enough height for anyone North of 6'. That basically means that tall people can use the rear portion only for bed and storage and have to cram all the rest in the front section, which is not a problem on a 40 footer. On a 35' chassis this is going to be a challenge though. (Reason for rambling about the low floor model is that the VIN decoder lists the bus as low floor, whereas the photos show a high floor Phantom. Either way, you will be fine if the bus is 40')

Since I am looking for a 35' transit bus, my choice is the high floor Phantom for the reasons listed above. I am not going to have a "cathedral" ceiling anywhere, but at least a solid 78" from the windshield to the rear bench.

If the price is right and the bus suits your needs, go for it. Nothing is perfect and exempt from the need for repairs, replacements, or upgrades. Personally, I would bid on that bus if it were not a 40 footer and located on the wrong coast for me.

Hope that's enough of an opinion...
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
If the price is right and the bus suits your needs, get it. Nothing is perfect and exempt from the need for repairs or replacements.
It's only at $500 now with 2 days to go, just might end up being a deal.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
So far the price looks right. You can't always get what you want but for that kind of money, what else could you buy with such possibilities.

They are all a crap shoot, used vehicles that is.
I won't be bidding against you by the way,

John
Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Skoolie

Thanks for the replies!

In addition to the cost of the bus is fuel to get home...

I figure it at about 6 mpg. That is about 1k in fuel to get back to Dallas!!
Old 07-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Skoolie

Yes. Thank you for this info.
You are right. I looked at the observations you pointed out.

It does indeed look to be a Phantom. Although VIN Decoder calls it a low floor.??

You mentioned roof height at 6.5 feet for the Phantom...What is it for a Low floor?

Wold you say one is better than the other as far as having more space interior wise? The whole reason I'm looking at a city bus IS interior headroom.

Thank you,
-Shay
Old 07-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaymcquaid View Post
Thanks for the replies!

In addition to the cost of the bus is fuel to get home...

I figure it at about 6 mpg. That is about 1k in fuel to get back to Dallas!!
Fuel economy is going to be better than that. But isn't Texas the place to buy buses due to no rust issues?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
Skoolie

Yeah, probably...you think I should be more patient?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Not necessarily. There are not that many Phantoms around anymore in decent condition. I have no idea how the Washington state weather affects the condition of buses in general and how this bus in particular looks underneath.

I checked out a Phantom of same vintage in Virginia and the body was in excellent condition even though they have snow and salt there.

Since you cannot inspect the bus, I would make my decision dependent on where the price goes. Under 3k the risk is small. You either get a bus that you like and is worth converting or you can easily get your money back by parting the bus out and selling the rest for scrap.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Thank you for this info.
You are right. I looked at the observations you pointed out.

It does indeed look to be a Phantom. Although VIN Decoder calls it a low floor.??

You mentioned roof height at 6.5 feet for the Phantom...What is it for a Low floor?

Wold you say one is better than the other as far as having more space interior wise? The whole reason I'm looking at a city bus IS interior headroom.

Thank you,
-Shay
Unfortunately, I did not measure the height of a low floor but looking at photos I would guess it has between 16" and 20" more interior height in the front than a high floor. If you keep the subfloor low enough, you would have more headroom in the front but certainly less in the rear.

Maybe somebody can chime in with exact measurements.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
I personally really like the Gillig Phantom buses. I have bid on a few but always got outbid by resellers. Be aware that the Voith transmissions don’t have a lot of people with the knowledge requirements to work on them. I did not find this exact bus but one similar on U-Tube.

The other thing to remember about these is that the electrical systems are multiplexed.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:05 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Another video

If you watch the video you will hear the typical Voith transmission whine, it is quite pronounced.

If you want to see a converted Phantom you can go to this link...

https://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3037
Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #17
Almost There

Rear End Gearing

What is the gear ratio in the rear end? Transit buses are usually geared low for stop n go service. They usually don't do as well for highway driving unless the differential gearing is changed.
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Skoolie

All I know is it’s a Voith 864.3E 😶
Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Bus Nut

If you are really interested, have either the current owner or Gillig look up the part number for the differential carrier. The last 3 numbers are the ratio. For example, the Gillig part number 82-04997-538 means you have a 5.38:1 ratio, which is common in transit buses. That ratio is good for 60-65 mph @ ~2100 engine rpm with the Allison B400 in 5th gear. Look up the OD ratio of the Voith and do the math if it differs much.
The differential carriers in Gillig buses are typically Rockwell/Meritor units, easy to find as used truck parts and easy to change. Carrier means that the entire differential gearing assembly is mounted on a removable unit. Unlike on a pickup truck, you are not just unbolting a cover but with the carrier you are taking all moving parts of the differential out. The gear meshing and bearing preload is checked/set on the bench and the new carrier is then swapped into the rear axle housing after pulling the wheelshafts out and disconnecting the drive shaft. This is much easier than changing the ratio of a PU axle. Engine and transmission stays in place on a rear engine bus but you need a pit or bus lift to disconnect the short drive shaft and get the carrier out and back in.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Are you bidding on this bus? I talked to C-TRAN about the top speed of these buses. They stated that the top speed is 65mph which is speed limited by the computer.