Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Re: pocket doors

I was thinking of using them on my bus.. well whenever I get one . Besides the added width to the door frame I think it will save a lot of space, but you have to keep in mind the curved roof. I know alot of rv's and travel trailers use them where space is limited. Another option is the folding accordion doors but to me they don't look as good as a solid door. but would work well to temporarily partition off a section of the bus for example if the shower and bathroom sink are not in their own room and out in the open. This would give some privacy while getting ready in the morning. but on a curved roof I dont know how well that would work. I'm still pondering that idea and will probably go with something different.

Chris

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

I considered a pocket door on my bus (for her one door ), but like thesaltydog24 said pocket doors require thick walls and that wall needs to be uninterrupted inside for the door to bury. All a no-go for me.

At this point I think I'm going to use a louvered bi-fold wood door or maybe one of those sliding fabric doors.

Take Cae,
Den
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Skoolie

I am thinking of using either regular window blinds turned on to the side or turning a room divider into a folding door. I hate accordian doors they always look so cheap.

You can get some really nice window blinds in different materials.

Jackie
Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

We have resorted to magnetic curtains on our bus we didn't like the idea of obstruction and chopping up the space we have so we got super magnets and made custom curtains to block off and create the spaces we need. I must admit there is a little less sound damping but we definitely prefer the openness and versatility of out buses interior space. I have to agree that bi-fold door are terrible, a normal hinged door uses far too much space, and as much as I like pocket doors the curved ceiling is the trick to figure out. Good luck...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

We used an accordion door for the bathroom and it works fine and you don't really see it until you use the bathroom, it stays strapped to the door frame with Velcro until needed. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

I really hadn't given any thought to what kind of door to use for my bathroom. I have a fiberglass unit that can double as a shower. The door will be running the length of the bus so no issues with the curved roof. I might have to play with that idea.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

I like that idea Smitty the outer slide style was always preferable you can at least service your runners and there is less chance of error and frustration with a non functioning door because of a miss judged corner or the like.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

The "mobile office" command trucks built into a box or 'bread' trucks often have pocket doors to close off the conference room for meetings. But then again, they are dealing with rectangles, not curves.

The most important part of a mobile pocket door is the strap that secures it into the pocket when you are driving. You do not want to have the door rolling open and shut as you take corners.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Pocket doors also have locks that can be installed. It seems there are dozens of types out there, just lock the door in the closed possession, or you could install those lock-pins on the end of the door like they have on double entry doors. One you push up, the other you push down and it holds the door in place. Just put cutouts in the other side for them when the door is closed, or cut out parts of the door to mount them in the door so they dont stick out.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 24V
Rated Cap: 77
I just installed a pocket door on the skoolie I've been working on for the past 6 months. I think it turned out great. I made a video of the process so you can check it out here:

http://ianrobinson.net/skoolie-pocket-door/
independentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 24V
Rated Cap: 77
Pocket Door Installation on Skoolie

I installed a pocket door on our skoolie yesterday. Made a short video about it and I included links to the materials I used. You can find that stuff here:

independentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That turned out pretty cool.

Just in case you end up wanting to re-do the laminate on the door, maybe try doing it the same way a laminate countertop ("Formica") is done. Contact cement on both surfaces, let it set as directed, stick it together, then smooth it out with some kind of roller. J roller, laminate roller, flooring roller -- they go by a variety of names. Actually maybe the adhesive you used was fine and a rolling step would have made it come out flatter. The weight would probably still be needed for clamping while waiting for a non-contact cement to cure.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Skoolie

Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentian View Post
I just installed a pocket door on the skoolie I've been working on for the past 6 months. I think it turned out great. I made a video of the process so you can check it out here:

Ian's door is awesome ... cool space saver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
My prison bus had sliding cage doors. Very noisy when driving. So you'll need a way to secure them well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Not a pocket door but it functions similarly:

https://rusticahardware.com/ranch-ba...xoC5dEQAvD_BwE

That is what I am looking at using for my bathroom.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
If you have the shower and toilet opposite each other, right in front of the rear bedroom, a pocket door closes the whole back end off for showering, changing, etc.

Mrs Twigg will approve of that.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Not a pocket door but it functions similarly:

https://rusticahardware.com/ranch-ba...xoC5dEQAvD_BwE

That is what I am looking at using for my bathroom.
I have a door like that in the basement of my NH home that is slated to be removed and Craigslisted. If we can figure out the logistics I'll offer the whole deal (6x7'+/- door and maybe 10' of track) to a skoolie for the one time low low price of $free. We remove; you haul; you modify. I could be convinced to shitcan the door and/or make it into a workbench and just ship the metal bits & bobs. PM me; I'll send pics when I'm up there this weekend.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I have a door like that in the basement of my NH home that is slated to be removed and Craigslisted. If we can figure out the logistics I'll offer the whole deal (6x7'+/- door and maybe 10' of track) to a skoolie for the one time low low price of $free. We remove; you haul; you modify. I could be convinced to shitcan the door and/or make it into a workbench and just ship the metal bits & bobs. PM me; I'll send pics when I'm up there this weekend.
I wish you were closer.

I would even help de-install it and probably bring a nice IPA to celebrate.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Yeah, the previous owner had it put in to roughly close off the unfinished basement from the finished side (roughly meaning there's a 1" gap all round it). Then at some later time he installed CAC and ran the main return duct through that doorway, so it can't be closed completely. Maybe it would have made sense if I'd been there at the time, but it looks dumb as a box of rocks from my viewpoint.

BTW and off-topic but I gotta brag here. Houses are like buses - keep looking until the right one finds you! NH is "The Granite State" but it might as well be "The Wet Basement State". EVERYONE has basement problems up there. I got a house with 500 sf of finished (taxable) basement and 1200 sf of unfinished (untaxable) basement area. Except it's dry, bright, and somebody saw fit to install 2" rigid foam and 3/4" OSB on the walls in the unfinished side. Woot! Huuge shop area and (future) 2-bay outbuilding for man toys to live in! Woot!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote