Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

portable a/c units?

has onyone consider using one of these off of an inverter as driver a/c? they seem to consume considerabley less power than rooftop units. 800-900 watts.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
My opinion is it wouldn't do much good if it isn't big enough to cool the whole bus. My experience with driving a 26 foot bluebird bus with only the front ac working at the time was that the bus cooled down better opening half the windows and going down the road. And when it got really hot out it would be most of the windows open and I'd have my cooler under my seat with plenty of water and ice to suck on. Sometimes I would even put a little bit of ice under my hat which felt good in 90 plus weather.

And right now I'm debating if I really need to run my roof air while driving down the road. I remember family trips in my grandparents class c rv where it only had front air which just about never worked and we would just open the windows even when going to florida in the middle of august. And once we got to a campground we then ran the roof air.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9
900 watts for how many btu? I think the a/c size necessary to cool my bus down will be more, plus more to get the compressor fired. I really think the best a/c while driving solution is either a compressor driven by the motor, or run a generator for 110v. But I could be wrong. I still am looking for a/c options.
beekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Skoolie

How about something like this?
http://www.swampy.net/index.html

Since I plan on doing some insulation, probably won't be doing too much summer time desert camping/travel, I felt this would work better w/ a solar system. It almost sounds too good to be true Of course I could just save the $$, purchase three fans, blocks of ice and volia! Instant a/c
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
My understanding is that swamp coolers work best in a dry environment. In SoCal I would think you'd be ok. For those of us in not-as-hot-but-much-more-humid climates they aren't the best idea.