Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Post your window tints please :)

Hey, I’ve been having a look around at what tint to go for, not had much luck in finding pictures with the corresponding tint information.

I’ve seen what skoolies with. 5% limo tint looks like, but am really looking to see examples of skoolies with the 20% and 35% smoke tint.

If anyone has any example could they post them? Thanks a bunch! CC

CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCousins View Post
Hey, I’ve been having a look around at what tint to go for, not had much luck in finding pictures with the corresponding tint information. CC

No doubt, I've got the same question. We've got a couple windows without tinting and I'd like to be able to match them with some stick-on tinting film from Amazon. Only problem is, I don't really know what shade of film to get.....there's a whole range from 5% to 50%.

This graphic might be somewhat helpful to someone?
Attached Thumbnails
tint.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I am using the darkest tint that was available at Summit Racing - I believe it was 5%. My intent was more for heat reflection than for privacy, though that's a nice benefit too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Yeah have ended up getting 20% carbon 2 ply so will post some before and after pictures to this post.
Would be nice if people done the same and this post could be used for reference for people in the same dilemma as us.

Cheers!
CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Yeah have ended up getting 20% carbon 2 ply so will post some before and after pictures to this post.
Would be nice if people done the same and this post could be used for reference for people in the same dilemma as us.

Cheers!
older thread here
Old 07-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
A little different than the typical auto window tint is 3m's Thinsulate film. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2123816&rt=rud
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Hey, I’ve been having a look around at what tint to go for, not had much luck in finding pictures with the corresponding tint information.

I’ve seen what skoolies with. 5% limo tint looks like, but am really looking to see examples of skoolies with the 20% and 35% smoke tint.

If anyone has any example could they post them? Thanks a bunch! CC
My Gillig passenger windows are factory tinted. Not sure what percent they are; however I did recently get the driver sliding windows tinted with 30%. To my eyes it matches the passenger windows pretty closely.

I didn't want to go too dark on the driver sliding windows. While obviously not an issue on the passenger windows, in my experience tint 20% or lower on car front windows can sometimes make it difficult to see at night when making a left turn on dark roads.

Here is the bus before getting the sliders tinted. The factory passenger window tint looks to me to be something lighter than 20%.

Here is the tinted slider. To me it looks pretty close to the factory Gillig passenger window tint.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #8

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BLUE BIRD
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 33 feet-ish
Random question but...

Just out of curiousity, but is the interior of your bus a bit higher than a standard one? The windows look amazingly larger. Also, (this question originated from sheer nosiness 🤣 but is your BEAUTIFUL bus being used for a conversion??? OMG if so, I am so envious. That thing is awesome.
kpadua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadua View Post
Just out of curiousity, but is the interior of your bus a bit higher than a standard one? The windows look amazingly larger. Also, (this question originated from sheer nosiness 🤣 but is your BEAUTIFUL bus being used for a conversion??? OMG if so, I am so envious. That thing is awesome.
Yes, Gillig Phantom school buses are awesome; I love this bus. Among its many charms, the ceiling height is ~6'7" in front tapering to ~6'5". And yes, it is being converted, my build thread is here. BTW welcome to skoolie.net!
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Tint and good ol'Burlap

I stumbled upon this thread on a whim.

I purchased a shuttle bus recently and the windows had no tint. Since i'm on a tight budget and spent my $ on the bus and needed repairs I needed a quick fix to add some privacy to my RollingSheShed.

BLACK BURLAP!!! I secured Black burlap to the window frames using the existing screws and (from the outside) it now looks as though I have very dark limmo tint on the windows; from the interior I can see out without distraction even while driving.

Just recently I discovered the Static Cling window tint, I applied the 20% strength to a pane on the back door. ......let's just say that I'll probably keep the burlap up for the ultimate blockage.

Backstory the Burlap provided immediate coverage/privacy as I worked on the bus in the driveway; or as I rode around town picking up and trying out supplies. I tried the paper shades; however they don't stay in place during road trips and had my windows looking snag-a-toothed after a brief trip. I'll post pictures soon.
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
That's how you do it, thinking out of the box, nice idea!
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

The attached picture shows how effective the Burlap/Tint may be.

the 1st and 3rd windows have only Burlap, the 3rd window has some of the Burlap folded down, and it's T-section shows the burlap valance I created to access the slide.

The 2nd Window has all but 7" of the exposed window tinted. I felt like this picture illustrated the visible effects of the 2 products.

Gila 20% Static Cling Window tint was used. It comes in a 24x78" roll at Autozone and O'Rieliys.

ETA: The 2nd pic shows 1st Window w/both; 2nd Window has only the burlap covering.
Attached Thumbnails
WindowTint.jpg   20210311_105345.jpg  
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tinted, tinted windows, tinting