Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #1

Question Prodex Insulation

So I have been reading up on insulation and I have a question:

If foam board Insulation has an R value in the 3-6 range per inch and blown foam has a slightly higher R value, has anyone found something with a higher R Value?

I found this insulation (which if I can believe all they say about it sounds ideal) which a much higher R value (15-17) for a much thinner material (5mm) and is specifically designed to be applied to metal walls and roofs (still unsure about using it as flooring). I would think the higher R value would make for a better insulation. While the cost is a bit high, it is not insane (especially to make the R value of my walls and floors 2-3 times higher) and would curve around the roof without having to cut and losing some R value there. It would also be a much easier application than traditional board or blown insulation.

Prodex ( https://www.insulation4less.com/default.aspx )

Does anyone have experience working with it? It looks like reflectix with foam insulation instead of air bubbles between the layers.
lee.wissmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.wissmiller View Post
So I have been reading up on insulation and I have a question:

If foam board Insulation has an R value in the 3-6 range per inch and blown foam has a slightly higher R value, has anyone found something with a higher R Value?

I found this insulation (which if I can believe all they say about it sounds ideal) which a much higher R value (15-17) for a much thinner material (5mm) and is specifically designed to be applied to metal walls and roofs (still unsure about using it as flooring). I would think the higher R value would make for a better insulation. While the cost is a bit high, it is not insane (especially to make the R value of my walls and floors 2-3 times higher) and would curve around the roof without having to cut and losing some R value there. It would also be a much easier application than traditional board or blown insulation.

Prodex ( https://www.insulation4less.com/default.aspx )

Does anyone have experience working with it? It looks like reflectix with foam insulation instead of air bubbles between the layers.
I just sent an email asking for a quote on Prodex Total 10M Plus: R22 - haven't heard back yet
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 12
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...ed-bubble-wrap
Quite a few poor reviews on Amazon too.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Question

Looks like a good product. Correct me if my numbers are wrong, but this stuff is a bunch cheaper comparing R value to Square footage. This is $305 for 700sf, or $.43/sf. Poles runs about $10 precept, or $.31/sf, But you would need 3 layers of 1/2" polyiso to compare to the R value of the Prodex, making the Polyiso cost $.93/sf. A 50% savings I my book. I'm waiting on a reply back from them on what the Rvalue is if you double up this material? This might be a winner.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

@peakbus: This insulation is not like that which you posted. What you posted has air bubbles between the layers of foil. this does not it has actual insulation between the layers.

Having fully read your article, I have some concerns with how it addresses Prodex specifically - as it does not support what it says about it - and places it in the category with the bubble wrap which it is not exactly, however I can see where the concern is and I want a good insulation so I will likely look at a different material.
lee.wissmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I just sent an email asking for a quote on Prodex Total 10M Plus: R22 - haven't heard back yet
The price of their products is listed on each product page. $214 for a 4' x 85.3'.
Even this sounds like a steal. $.66/sf as opposed to 5 layers of 1/2", which wouldn't fit the space at $1.55/sf
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...ed-bubble-wrap
Quite a few poor reviews on Amazon too.
The Prodex is a foil backed FOAM material, not bubblewrap. Bubble wrap is what they use for comparison.
They have 182 reviews listed for the product. 171 of them are 5 star positive.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.wissmiller View Post
@peakbus: This insulation is not like that which you posted. What you posted has air bubbles between the layers of foil. this does not it has actual insulation between the layers.

Having fully read your article, I have some concerns with how it addresses Prodex specifically - as it does not support what it says about it - and places it in the category with the bubble wrap which it is not exactly, however I can see where the concern is and I want a good insulation so I will likely look at a different material.
The Prodex material specified in that article is not the same product. Can anyone find any negative reviews on this.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like closed cell foam with mylar?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996