Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Skoolie

Professional or non professional conversion? Insurance

So I finally got around to pricing insurance on a bus I am interested in. Agent asked for the usual, VIN#, length, value, etc. But once she found a company that would carry it, they had a question on the conversion. Professional conversion, or non professional conversion. I asked what the premium difference would be? We were both surprised to see that a non professional conversion has a lower premium than a professional conversion. Huh??

Might this be because to repair or replace a pro done it would cost more? Or if it is non pro done, the insurance can use it as an excuse to get out of paying? This is for liability only coverage. Which is the other reason I was surprised. I only plan on liability as the conversion for myself, will be so cheap. What possible reason could there be for the premium difference when the insurance company is not covering my vehicle for damage anyway? Do pro conversions have a higher failure rate or something?

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Maybe their studies have shown that someone driving a vehicle they've put a tremendous amount of their own time and energy into, drives it more carefully? That would account for a lower rate for liability.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

That could be. I know they do those statistical studies. Maybe the pro done rigs end up as tailgater party buses too many times? I dunno. But I can see their studies having a lot to do with it for sure.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
a lot of companies will drop you if its a non professional job.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Skoolie

I would think so. But progressive apparently prefers non pro conversions and they will insure me for liability. At least they'll take my premium for it. Wont know if they'll pay until something happens. Then................
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
I would think so. But progressive apparently prefers non pro conversions and they will insure me for liability. At least they'll take my premium for it. Wont know if they'll pay until something happens. Then................
Progressive Commercial or RV? If its RV, expect a letter in the mail saying your coverage has been revoked.

Foremost, who does all sorts of "weird" Insurance coverage (this from my cousin who's in the business), refuses to insure non or even semi-pro conversions.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote