Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800 AmTran (wish it was a TransAm)
Engine: DT466E
Question Professional paint job costs?

I have spent probably 50+ hours over the last few weeks with an orbital sander, sand paper, and scotch-brite pads on my 39' bus. It was a PAIN IN THE ASS!! lol. It's so far been the only part of this conversion that I have not enjoyed.

Regardless, I am done with that and I am ready to paint. I have browsed threads talking about which paints to use and how to paint it. Despite it's high cost, I am going to go with automotive paint. I want this to be a one-and-done kind of thing, and I know rustoleum will fade a bit sooner that I'd like. Maybe I'll throw some clear coat on top, but we'll see. Bottom line is - I want this to look good. I don't have unlimited money but I can pay whatever is needed for the right job.

Here is my question. Painting/prepping for paint is not something I enjoy at all. Since the sanding is done, I wouldn't mind paying to have it done at a professional shop with my color scheme. So what I want to know is:
  • Has anyone had their bus painted professionally? If so, what was the cost?
  • If no one has had this done, anyone with any other paint-shop experience know what might be the ballpark-range of a price I should look for? I don't have any knowledge here and don't want to get overcharged.
  • Should I buy paint beforehand (maybe to save cost?) or do they measure all that out and handle it for you?
  • Lastly, ignoring costs, how ridiculous would it be to make the bus that color-changing iridescent paint? Would it be overkill? lol

AlbatrossCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You did all that prep-
Try to paint it yourself. It's not too hard to do it and you'll save a ton of money.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I just rattle-can'd mine without any prep. Going on 2 years and holding up pretty well.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
If you have a shop apply the paint, I suggest not buying the paint yourself. The shop will probably have a brand they commonly use and are very familiar with its behavior in their shop/booth as far as what ratio of paint:hardener:reducer to use based on the temperature that day, what size batch to mix, optimal viscosity and paint gun settings.. If you provided a paint they're less familiar with it could affect the result. They might charge more just for the hassle. There's a fair chance they'll be getting better materials pricing than you can get.

IMHO the only reason to buy the materials yourself when hiring a pro to do a job is if you have reason to believe this pro might somehow "forget" to buy the materials for your job with that upfront "50% down payment" and start giving excuses about how he can't start your job yet because he spent your money finishing the previous job, so now he has to take a new job to get money for materials to do yours.... Better to just not hire that kind of "pro"!

You might try pricing it out both ways to help make the choice. As a small point of reference, for whatever it might be worth, two years ago I bought a bunch of Valspar automotive paint for a trailer. The tan colored sealer cost about $100/gal, the single-stage paint was maybe $120/gal, and I don't remember what the primer, reducer, and hardener all cost. All told I think I was in around $400 to paint the exterior only of the trailer box, about 12x6 feet by 3 feet tall, plus some paint on the fenders, tongue, and tool box.

Let us know what you find... with my bus having all-new metal on the sides, next spring I'm going to have to paint around 700 square feet of body.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Just got quoted by a commercial truck paint shop for 2 colors (White roof and dark blue sides) for $5200 lol. That is more than I bought the bus for. They said that even though I sanded it they would have to do it again so that they could properly warranty their paint job. They wouldn't do it without that.

Guess I probably will end up doing it myself!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

You won't regret doin it yourself. Other than it will be some work!
Their estimate sounds low compared to some I've heard.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Just got quoted by a commercial truck paint shop for 2 colors (White roof and dark blue sides) for $5200 lol. That is more than I bought the bus for. They said that even though I sanded it they would have to do it again so that they could properly warranty their paint job. They wouldn't do it without that.

Guess I probably will end up doing it myself!
I have talked to a couple of auto painters about doing my own prep work for my car. They said I should never leave here metal for even one day. If I did my own prep, they said, I should then at least give a coat of primer.

Then, after one layer of paint goes down, there is a time window within which the next layer should go down, for best adhesion. This window can vary from a couple of hours after the undercoat to a couple of days, depending on the under coat and over coat.

If you wait too long, the undercoat will cure too much and the overcoat won't stick.

So, go ahead and do it yourself, just do lots of homework first.
GrantRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantRobertson View Post
I have talked to a couple of auto painters about doing my own prep work for my car. They said I should never leave here metal for even one day. If I did my own prep, they said, I should then at least give a coat of primer.

Then, after one layer of paint goes down, there is a time window within which the next layer should go down, for best adhesion. This window can vary from a couple of hours after the undercoat to a couple of days, depending on the under coat and over coat.

If you wait too long, the undercoat will cure too much and the overcoat won't stick.

So, go ahead and do it yourself, just do lots of homework first.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't sand down to bare metal. I used 220 grit and scotch bright just to scuff up the clear coat/outer layer first. Either way, that was over 3 weeks ago. I'll probably have to do it again by the time I get around to painting it. RIP my free time lol

Would have done it sooner but I don't have a garage big enough. Wish it was easier to rent large paint booths.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I went to Maaco they told me $3000.00 to $4000.00
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
Bus Nut

My plan is to do a clear coat with color shifting pearls over black or grey rustoleum(or the like). The thing of it is if you take your bus and get it pinstriped by the natural flora and fauna of the road side environment. Sure the Auto paint will stick a bit better and show it less, but it will still look like crap to the person who spent so much time making the bus their own. The clear coat is where the strength of the finish lies, and the primer is what will determine how well it sticks to the bus the main color coat is just a fancy layer of self adhering pigment. Spend time an money on the primer and sealer cheap out on the paint.
Make your own paint booth rent some scaffold stretch some 1" pvc between the scaffolds and get some plastic by the roll, a little duct tape and imagination and Bob's your uncle. Paint your sides then elastomeric the top.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
You can go over to Bertha Bus and see the job they had done on their bus. Also
talk to Aaron with Broccoli bus he got a quote from a truck paint shop for doing
his bus that was in the $4000 to $4500 range in Seattle. It included painting the
wheels as well.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I went to Maaco they told me $3000.00 to $4000.00
Never let them touch anything!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Never let them touch anything!
Agreed, I've had friends go to Maaco, and it generally looks nice for a year to three before you start seeing bubbling or peeling, and then it all goes to ****.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
My plan is to do a clear coat with color shifting pearls over black or grey rustoleum(or the like). The clear coat is where the strength of the finish lies, and the primer is what will determine how well it sticks to the bus the main color coat is just a fancy layer of self adhering pigment. Spend time an money on the primer and sealer cheap out on the paint.
Has anyone used the clearcoat with color shifting pearls? I'd love to see pictures. Where can you even buy the color shifting pearls clearcoat? I plan on using Rustoleum primer and paint. Which primer should I use though the Rusty metal primer I'm using inside on the floor and walls or just regular primer?
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
Has anyone used the clearcoat with color shifting pearls? I'd love to see pictures. Where can you even buy the color shifting pearls clearcoat? I plan on using Rustoleum primer and paint. Which primer should I use though the Rusty metal primer I'm using inside on the floor and walls or just regular primer?
You're talking about painting over the school bus yellow? You don't need to use primer for that.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
You'll notice that Capt'n Insano isn't around any more--I wonder why? The chameleon paint material can be had at any auto paint store. However, be ready for sticker shock. Such a paint job will cost more than the bus--way more. Unless you have backers for Burning Man best go with something more affordable.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I was quoted 4K for my shorty. I did it in a paint booth in LA for about 1K not including my time of course.

If I were to do it again I would do it the same, but hire an experienced sprayer. I did OK, but it could have been better.

Isn’t that car wrapped?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
That paint is spendy. spraying a bus is not hard if you have the time, energy, and equipment...

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Yes, it's insane to prep for paint and have no plan how to paint it.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote