Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: bluebird
Propane Fridge Ignition High Altitude?

We've been camping in our bus a lot lately and looking for problems before the big move in. This past week we spent five days at zero elevation along a river. No problems with propane items in bus (fridge/stove). Then we drove up a mountain and camped in some cold weather. The first morning there we used our propane heater, obviously the fridge and were cooking on the stove. Then we went for a walk. When we came back the fridge was making this very loud FUMP noise periodically. It sounded like a whole bunch of gas igniting at one time. I got freaked and turned the propane off in the bus. A couple of hours later, it stopped making the noise. Any advice here. My father-in-law mentioned the altitude and it was really cold. When I turned the propane off from the outside, the handles and lines had crystals on them. Anyone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated - I've got three small kids on that bus and honestly, it scared me. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Propane Fridge Ignition High Altitude?

make sure the flue and burner are clean. something as simple as a spider web can interfere. Your burner may have an adjustable "carburetor sleeve". this would be a slightly larger tube with a slot in it, screwed through the slot to the burner tube. you may have to adjust it for altitude to let more air in since it is less dense up there.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote