Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Propane Issues

I was planning to put propane in my skoolie I was told by my neighbor if I do that I won't be able to go through tunnels and on certain Bridges and it where it displays no Hazmat. Is that true?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC Bus View Post
I was planning to put propane in my skoolie I was told by my neighbor if I do that I won't be able to go through tunnels and on certain Bridges and it where it displays no Hazmat. Is that true?

Never heard of it
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

Mau (601) 351-8000 on the

Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Skoolie

Excuse me mainly the east coast

Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Okay now I just read it you can Google LP restrictions in tunnels for Arby's mostly out east tunnels that go down
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Propane Tanks in Tunnels
The following information comes from several sources that we believe to be correct, but because state laws change, we cannot guarantee accuracy.

GENERAL COMMENTS:
Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.

Virginia tunnels go down under the water. Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels. So you need to stop and tell an inspector they are turned off.

Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.

LP-GAS PROHIBITED:
Maryland/Baltimore:
Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695.

Massachusetts/Boston Harbor:
All tunnels.

New York/East River:
Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel.

New York and New Jersey/Hudson River:
Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.

LP-GAS RESTRICTIONS:
Virginia/Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel: RVs equipped with ICC-approved compressed cooking tanks not exceeding two 45-pound capacity tanks (or two permanently mounted containers with maximum total capacity of 200 pounds) may cross the facility provided that, in the opinion of the toll collector or police sergeant after inspection, the tanks are completely shut off and securely attached.

Texas/Houston Ship Channel: Washburn Tunnel between Pasadena and Galena Park: Maximum of two 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited. 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC Bus View Post

your neighbor is full of it propane goes thru those same tunnels as the placards (stickers) on marked trucks are only required if you have over 1,000 lbs. so lots of trucks with less are going thru every hour that are not marked. i been a haz driver for over 20 years and on a lot of tunnels would even take 5k thru as most tunnels only restrict bulk shipments i have never seen a motorhome stopped but see them go thru all the time read the regulations yourself as a lot of bull will show up if you must ask, talk to your truck enforcement not a street cop they will fill you in with correct info
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote