Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: B600, 545 Allison Auto
Engine: Cummings Dimple Block 12Cyl.
Rated Cap: 70
Propane vent free heating

Hi Guys

Do any of you use Propane vent free heaters in your Skoolie?

I am thinking of using this type of heater to heat my bus this winter.

I welcome any and all feedback..

Thank you!!

Howard

HJS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 48
Id be a little concered about the gasses that come off of those units, especially in a confined space. There are several articles that claim you should never use one of those ventless heaters, so do some research on that aspect. That said I do have one in my house but it is only used to heat the house up to temp before the furnace or wood stove can take over.
glenn bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Even "vent free" units consume oxygen while supposedly producing no harmful gases...so you still need to have a vent or window opened a bit to avoid asphyxiation. Plus, propane heaters are notorious for the volume of moisture they create as condensation.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Ventless propane heaters have oxygen sensors that will shut it off if oxygen is depleted. The real problem is the moisture, it will be raining inside. Windows will look like the water hose is running on them.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Ventless propane heaters have oxygen sensors that SHOULD shut it off if oxygen is depleted. The real problem is the moisture, it will be raining inside. Windows will look like the water hose is running on them.
Fixed that for ya... I've had a ventless heater "Big Buddy" suck the o2 down in a room to well below 19% and keep chugging right along...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I have marine propane wall heater. It uses a 1" exhaust pipe. On low in the winter will keep the 37 foot house boat i have warm and on high it will just be to hot. It barley uses fuel. it has auto off it there is a oxygen issue. but no moisture since it has a flew pipe. plus you can put a coffee cup on it or soup etc. very adjustable plus its very easy to install.
Best heater I have ever used but spendy.
SIG MARINE Cozy Cabin Propane Heater | West Marine
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Geo Jeff

Thank you - This looks very interesting.. Thank you!

What size propane tank does it need? As soon of the ones I have been looking at need the large 100lb one.
If this works on the smaller tanks then it is a winner..

How does the flu pipe need to be fitted?

Thank you
Howard
Old 10-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Its threaded into the bottom so you could use a hose to tank or even the small screw on bottles. They also sell a diesel unit but my boat was unleaded. I removed this heater and installed propane forced air system ( which does not work a 10th as good and runs my batteries all night. So I'm just moving it to the bus.
ON the boat we have to 7 gallon tanks and they last all season or more running every thing. This heater has small burner but the whole unit becomes a great heat mass and sucks the cold off the floor as the heat rises and creates its own fan if you will. If it gets to dry a coffee cup on the top of it puts moisture back in the air. when its freezing in the winter that air can get dry and makes my nose bleed so I'm a fan of a little moisture.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i was looking at this one
HouseWarmer Slim-Profile Direct Vent Heater with Blower — Propane, 8000 BTU, Model# HWDV081BP | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
id want a dual heat exchanger model.. seeing as how propane in a tank is a finite resource id want to extract as much heat from it as I could..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I JUST sat down after installing a Majestic propane direct vent fireplace. It's super rad. I was set on wood stove, a friend even gave me one, but for where the bus is parked and how often i need to come and go, propane is a good fit.

I did a lot of research and like mentioned propane ventfree just puts off a ton of moisture. I read 1 cup for every pound of propane. That's too much for me especially since i am in Virginia where it is always high humidity.

Did a rough install today to get a feel for it. I always try to get something just good enough and sit with it for a bit before i invest a lot into construction, in case i change my mind, or realize something isnt going to suit me. Better i barely completed it when i take it apart than do a full install and sit down and go "oh crud, this wont work."

A considerable amount of heat exits the vent, where as ventfree all the heat stays in the bus. Prefer tot be efficient as possible. I was surprised how well it radiated heat on low. Still have some kinks to iron, and may move it to the next window bay for a better fit. Also need to make a permenant vent cover.

Here is a picture

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
vented units with open flame inside are usually about 70% efficient... dual heat exchanger units with a closed combustion chamber are 90-95.. they operate similar to a home furnace... and you can install a 3rd heat exchangeer if you are adventurous and have a way to keep the flue stack moving envenly at low temperature..

I did it on my home furnace and surmise im at 99% efficiency on that now from my measurements..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
I JUST sat down after installing a Majestic propane direct vent fireplace. It's super rad. I was set on wood stove, a friend even gave me one, but for where the bus is parked and how often i need to come and go, propane is a good fit.

I did a lot of research and like mentioned propane ventfree just puts off a ton of moisture. I read 1 cup for every pound of propane. That's too much for me especially since i am in Virginia where it is always high humidity.

Did a rough install today to get a feel for it. I always try to get something just good enough and sit with it for a bit before i invest a lot into construction, in case i change my mind, or realize something isnt going to suit me. Better i barely completed it when i take it apart than do a full install and sit down and go "oh crud, this wont work."

A considerable amount of heat exits the vent, where as ventfree all the heat stays in the bus. Prefer tot be efficient as possible. I was surprised how well it radiated heat on low. Still have some kinks to iron, and may move it to the next window bay for a better fit. Also need to make a permenant vent cover.

Here is a picture

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This looks like it's just perfect for my wife! Where did you get it?
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 AM   #14
Bus Nut

I bought this for a beautiful price on Craigslist. A better version of me would have waited for help to load it onto the bus but i was excited.

I am also enjoying the flames without having to store wood or clean up ashes, and i can shut it off completely with a switch instead of having to wait for it to die down. I am not knocking a wood stove because wood stoves are the cats meow, but for my needs ths fits like a glove.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
id want a dual heat exchanger model.. seeing as how propane in a tank is a finite resource id want to extract as much heat from it as I could..

-Christopher
depends on the cost, it all goes back to how well your bus is insulated. no insulation and a steel ceiling and it can be 100 % efficient and your going to be gobbling up the gas.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Carytowncat

What heater did you get as this sounds very interesting?

Thank you
Howard
Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

An Empire propane fireplace. It's pretty big. There is a picture in an earlier post of this thread. So far so good, in fact i have to turn it off every few hours it gets too hot. we'll see how it does during heavy winter.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3
Rated Cap: 64
I have been looking at this unit for my bus. It's a 25K BTU, so it will certainly throw some heat, even without the blower. It does need to be vented through a 4" Type B oval pipe. Fits inside a 2x4 wall space.

B-Vent Gravity Wall Furnaces - Empire Heating Systems

Just not sure if it's not too big.
buddyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I saw one of those on Craigslist recently. They'll throw out some heat.
I have an Empire direct vent furnace 18k btu i think, but its for natural gas and i only have propane. You're welcome to it if you have a nat gas tank.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3
Rated Cap: 64
Thanks for the offer, but like you I am limited to propane as well.
buddyvz is offline   Reply With Quote