Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Pull The Trigger?

So the salesman just got back to me and said he personally took the bus out for a 20 mile drive. Had no issues, said it drove nicely. Top speed was around 65. Heaters all worked. The school would be concerned that "if" there was an issue they would have a load of students stranded on the side of the road, concerned because the bus is so "old". They will accept my $2k offer. What other questions or issues should Follow up with before closing the deal. I imagine I would fly out there, check it out myself before forking over any cash.
88 BBAA, 8.2L, 163K, $2K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (13.1 KB, 18 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
See if there are any maintenance logs you can get your hands on. Check the tires including the DOT date stamps. Remember...a set of six can easily run a couple of grand. Take a look at all the fluids when you get there. Should all be clear and clean. Tranny fluid should never have a burnt smell as that's a sign of serious overheating and $$$ trouble on the horizon. Milky water /and/or oil means cross contamination (head gasket or worse). I'm sure others here can chime in with more.

Best of luck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
jjhwick119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 804
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Did you get more info on the quirks?

Edit - or was the quirks just them worried about age
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'd press them for good rubber. They know you're making a long drive so I think they'll do that for you.

So, that bus and good rubber? Get the title quick. Relax, it's just your first bus.

You're looking forward to that adrenalyn filled drive home, aren't you?
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
HOW DOES THIS BUS COMPARE TO A TC2000? There are about 8-10 98-99 TC2000's coming up on the 20th much closer to me than Id. All are priced in the $1200 range right now.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have the 8.2 in an 86 and from the diesel shops that I have talked to and dealt with about mine is that it's old technology and there is not to many mechanics left anymore that even knows how to work on them.
I have had to learn to do the governor and fuel rail drive adjustments myself because I have only found one shop that would touch it.
They are a full Detroit shop though so quite a bit more expensive for labor and really the only true parts source I have found but they are an hour and a half away.
I can't get any of my local garages to touch it.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 162
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
In addition to what some of the other have said. Of concern to me if driving a long way back home, I would want all the gauges to work correctly. Not having an oil pressure, temp, or trans temp gauge before a long trip would be a no go for me.

Route planning would be important too. Not the time to take the road less traveled across the middle of nowhere.

I happen to know where that bus is, so I would recommend a weather check as well when you know you would go to get it. There are plenty of areas that would be bad to be in a snowstorm on the way back. PM me if want to discuss the areas I would be worried about.

I'd probably do the math on whether its cheaper to pay $50 for checked baggage or simply stop at walmart or harbor freight and pick up some hand tools, multimeter, test light etc. I'd probably grab some oil appropriate for the engine, trans, and some spare coolant as well. If are real worried after looking at it, you might see if belts or hoses are available before you are in the middle of nowhere.

In my opinion, get the bus you want. But I would consider paying a premium if you can buy it close to home. You have done the math on how much the trip out and back to get it is. I would pay MORE than that total amount to reduce the risk to be 150 miles from home rather than 2k.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
In addition to what some of the other have said. Of concern to me if driving a long way back home, I would want all the gauges to work correctly. Not having an oil pressure, temp, or trans temp gauge before a long trip would be a no go for me.

Route planning would be important too. Not the time to take the road less traveled across the middle of nowhere.

I happen to know where that bus is, so I would recommend a weather check as well when you know you would go to get it. There are plenty of areas that would be bad to be in a snowstorm on the way back. PM me if want to discuss the areas I would be worried about.

I'd probably do the math on whether its cheaper to pay $50 for checked baggage or simply stop at walmart or harbor freight and pick up some hand tools, multimeter, test light etc. I'd probably grab some oil appropriate for the engine, trans, and some spare coolant as well. If are real worried after looking at it, you might see if belts or hoses are available before you are in the middle of nowhere.

In my opinion, get the bus you want. But I would consider paying a premium if you can buy it close to home. You have done the math on how much the trip out and back to get it is. I would pay MORE than that total amount to reduce the risk to be 150 miles from home rather than 2k.

With the other auction only 4 days out, i'll wait and see what happens there. Like you say, I can spend $3500 on on of those and be cheaper than the west coast bus.

Tranny fluid in this one looks decent, oil looks like it could use a change. Didn't get date codes, but tires look decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0196.JPG (48.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.JPG (31.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.JPG (38.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.JPG (42.2 KB, 7 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You'd miss an opportunity to see our wet and wonderful west coast? Are you afraid you'll rust out here?

I can't say I'd be into a long drive with a new to me vehicle either. I'm still impressed with the cross country drive last winter during the freezing season with a hole in the windshield on the driver's side. That was pure brass.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You'd miss an opportunity to see our wet and wonderful west coast? Are you afraid you'll rust out here?

I can't say I'd be into a long drive with a new to me vehicle either. I'm still impressed with the cross country drive last winter during the freezing season with a hole in the windshield on the driver's side. That was pure brass.
I'm familiar with the area. My brother lives on Bainbridge Island. You guys are impressed with your average rainfall amounts. Imagine my surprise when I found we get more rain here in no. Ga. annually than the PNW. I'm a west coast native (Berkeley,Ca.). Can't say lately that I'm proud to be a Ca. native, they are really tearing that state up with their politics.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm familiar with the area. My brother lives on Bainbridge Island. You guys are impressed with your average rainfall amounts. Imagine my surprise when I found we get more rain here in no. Ga. annually than the PNW. I'm a west coast native (Berkeley,Ca.). Can't say lately that I'm proud to be a Ca. native, they are really tearing that state up with their politics.
Yeah, Youtube says CA is going to sink in the big earthquake anyway so clear anything out of storage there. Oregon too apparently. I was hoping this mountain would be my own island after the earthquake.

This isn't much rain. This is just because we don't like to water our lawns. AK is a lot of rain. I lived up there for two years. Bad rains then severe cold too? It's good fishing but those winters are just to much.

But holy cow I coldn't stand the humidity back east there. Well, I have while in the military but not by choice. It's crowded back there too.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, Youtube says CA is going to sink in the big earthquake anyway so clear anything out of storage there. Oregon too apparently. I was hoping this mountain would be my own island after the earthquake.

This isn't much rain. This is just because we don't like to water our lawns. AK is a lot of rain. I lived up there for two years. Bad rains then severe cold too? It's good fishing but those winters are just to much.

But holy cow I coldn't stand the humidity back east there. Well, I have while in the military but not by choice. It's crowded back there too.
Not crowded where I live, town of 2200, in a county of 10k. That's why I live here. I'd rather put up with the humidity (not near as bad here as it is in Fla.) than the heat, crime, illegals, laws, politics, drought, traffic, etc. going on in Ca. That's why I am a Ca. native, but claim Sandy Hook, Ct. my home, even though I live in Ga.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You're a confusing man. Nobody will know where to find you.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You're a confusing man. Nobody will know where to find you.
Nobody, except the IRS, wants to find me. I'm going off grid.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Wright City MO
Posts: 271
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I'd be real concerned about an 8.2 good old motor the emphasis being on old it is a dinosaur hard to get parts nobody wants to work on them and they are fairly pricey but when they work they work well.
__________________
Its hard to be wrong when you live in Wright City!
There is no mechanical problem that cannot be overcome by a skillfully applied combination of brute force and ignorance!
Gdog 5651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
When I was working at Revenue there was a program that would tell you where anybody in the state was currently located. Residents of course. I don't know how it worked but it was amazingly accurate, and it wasn't based on last known address or last filed tax return. It even gave the current correct phone number.

If you have a cell phone, you're not off grid. If you have a internet connection you're still visible to those that care to know where you are and what you're doing/thinking/planninng. Identity implant chips coming soon.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,135
I think that if you know the 8.2L is a dog and it will need to be replaced sooner than later then you won't be disappointed with the bus.

The 8.2L, especially the non-turbo version, was usually only rated at 180-190 HP. With the turbo it got rated in the 210-220 range. Since it is a V-8 that means it will be down in the gears on any hill.

An All American is generally a better bus than a TC2000. The frame rails were generally made of heavier duty steel (50K+ versus 35K+), the axles were generally rated at greater weight limits, the brakes generally were larger, and the engine compartments in the FE were a little more generous since they were designed around a V-type engine instead an inline engine.

I would be very cautious about taking it across any mountain passes with snow on them. Type 'D' FE buses are like a cow on ice when the roads get slippery. Even the addition of traction chains won't help a lot since there is such a large weight bias towards the front. Most empty FE buses will weigh in excess of 9,000 lbs. on the front axle and the rear axle will generally have about 8,000 lbs. Most empty RE buses will weigh about 6,000 lbs on the front axle and have about 11,000 lbs on the rear axle.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×