Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #121
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
So while this thread has clearly gone in other directions, back to the original question... I have abandoned the idea of putting the metal back up for a variety of reasons. Along other things, I decided I have better uses for the metal elsewhere.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #122
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 415
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
So while this thread has clearly gone in other directions, back to the original question... I have abandoned the idea of putting the metal back up for a variety of reasons. Along other things, I decided I have better uses for the metal elsewhere.
I thought it was "already worked out" that with your adding foam insulation the original holes wouldn't all line up which would mean drilling a new set of holes which would diminish the oem clean lines of the metal roof...

I'm so far out from pulling my ceiling panels...

what is the gauge of your inner panels and outer skin?

I was really surprised to learn from the 'making an IC bus' video that the outer skin was only 22ga. on that model bus.

But that brings up the point that different models will achieve the required strength spec by different means.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #123
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Took my calipers outside and measured the inner skin, it's 24 gauge. I don't have any exposed edge of the outer skin and don't really plan to have any...
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #124
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 467
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
So while this thread has clearly gone in other directions, back to the original question... I have abandoned the idea of putting the metal back up for a variety of reasons. Along other things, I decided I have better uses for the metal elsewhere.
Wish I could re use my ceiling metal but unfortunately it's the perforated variety that Bluebird offered as a premium "acoustic" ceiling.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #125
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 415
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Wish I could re use my ceiling metal but unfortunately it's the perforated variety that Bluebird offered as a premium "acoustic" ceiling.
If one could determine that this option didn't 'cause a change to the outer skin and rib spec -- that would answer (for that model...) that the inner skin wasn't part of the overall strength requirement, OR that the acoustic panel is a thicker ga than the solid panel to make up the lost strength...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #126
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
One of my panels is an acoustic panel. I haven't gotten it down yet but should happen in the next few days. I'll report back with measurements but I expect it to be the same thickness as the other panels.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #127
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 467
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
If one could determine that this option didn't 'cause a change to the outer skin and rib spec -- that would answer (for that model...) that the inner skin wasn't part of the overall strength requirement, OR that the acoustic panel is a thicker ga than the solid panel to make up the lost strength...
My entire ceiling is the perforated material and its very thin gauge, like maybe 22 at most. It's def thinner than the standard steel you see in a lot of school buses.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #128
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 151
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
One of my panels is an acoustic panel. I haven't gotten it down yet but should happen in the next few days. I'll report back with measurements but I expect it to be the same thickness as the other panels.
Mine are down but I don't have calipers.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #129
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 243
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Mine are down but I don't have calipers.

Harbor Freight sells the digital calipers cheap, but most auto parts stores, bearing supply stores, machine shops, and a lot of hardware stores keep a pair behind the counter that you can use in store and possibly in the parking lot.


Sheet metal shops use a gage with different size slots to check gage thickness. If you have some known thickness metal to compare to you can take a pair of vice grips and clamp lightly, release the clamp, re-clamp in the air, then see if it slides on and off the metal with little resistance. Once the vice grips are adjusted correctly they can be used like a spark plug gap gage to compare to the known thickness metal or checked against a feeler gage to measure the gap in the vice grips.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #130
Mini-Skoolie
 
Shambhala Tinbolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 51
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
hello brokedown and fellow skoolies. On my 72 passenger Bluebird, I removed all the ceiling panels, the yellow - very inefficient - insulation, and insulated every ceiling section with Roxul rockwool. Will be putting the original metal panels up again, then adding more insulation and finishing with luan or what ever other flexible material that suits the finished look I want.

Many reasons to re-install the original metal panels;

} I called Bluebird to find out if they have structural integrity. YES was the answer.

} I called the MTO (ministry of transportation in my province) and spoke with a head supervisor, asking about safety and structural integrity from their perspective. His answer was a solid YES to have the original ceiling panels put back in place.

} It is common sense that the metal would be far superior for safety in the event of a rollover or that anything falls on my roof.

} The panels are paid for, made to fit perfectly, and are flexible.

None of what we're doing is "easy". Full conversion of a school bus into a tiny house, RV or camper is serious physical and brain work. We're all experimenting. Only time is going to tell what work(ed) and what didn't. Very best to you.
__________________
Shambhala
Ontario Schoolie
Shambhala Tinbolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #131
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 243
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambhala Tinbolle View Post
hello brokedown and fellow skoolies. On my 72 passenger Bluebird, I removed all the ceiling panels, the yellow - very inefficient - insulation, and insulated every ceiling section with Roxul rockwool. Will be putting the original metal panels up again, then adding more insulation and finishing with luan or what ever other flexible material that suits the finished look I want.

Many reasons to re-install the original metal panels;

} I called Bluebird to find out if they have structural integrity. YES was the answer.

} I called the MTO (ministry of transportation in my province) and spoke with a head supervisor, asking about safety and structural integrity from their perspective. His answer was a solid YES to have the original ceiling panels put back in place.

} It is common sense that the metal would be far superior for safety in the event of a rollover or that anything falls on my roof.

} The panels are paid for, made to fit perfectly, and are flexible.

None of what we're doing is "easy". Full conversion of a school bus into a tiny house, RV or camper is serious physical and brain work. We're all experimenting. Only time is going to tell what work(ed) and what didn't. Very best to you.



Nice work, through and to the point, hard to argue with. Kind makes you wonder what the insurance companies think about it, but would rather that they did not get involved.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #132
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
hard to argue with.
Oh sweet summer child, we have been debating this topic for a decade and will continue for another decade.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #133
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,409
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Oh sweet summer child, we have been debating this topic for a decade and will continue for another decade.
apparently Wanderlodge owners should refit their coaches with metal interior panels or their dicks will go flying off!

I'd love to see pics of the metal put back up and lined up as good as factory.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #134
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 467
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
apparently Wanderlodge owners should refit their coaches with metal interior panels or their dicks will go flying off!

I'd love to see pics of the metal put back up and lined up as good as factory.
I can't even begin to comprehend how much work it will be to get the original rivet holes to line up properly. There isn't even any room to drill new holes and if one did it would end up looking like total shot!!
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #135
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 415
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Thank you Thomas for using screws on my ceilings and walls!
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #136
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 243
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Oh sweet summer child, we have been debating this topic for a decade and will continue for another decade.



"sweet summer child" - what is that? what topic?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #137
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
"sweet summer child" - what is that? what topic?
Game of Thrones thing. Just saying it's naive to think that we won't keep arguing about this exact topic!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #138
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,770
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am on my third bus and fourth factory RV.

I am not a mechanical engineer.

I do have 8+ years and 250k+ miles of living and traveling in my buses and factory RV's.

My $0.02:

After stripping the ceiling panels I am certain that I reduced the structural integrity of the roof. It is unlikely that it could meet the requirements for carrying kids to school.

Having owned and worked on a number of factory RV's I am completely confident that my bus, with the ceiling panels removed, is still significantly safer than a "sticks and staples" RV.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #139
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 415
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Oh sweet summer child, we have been debating this topic for a decade and will continue for another decade.
Just to stir the pot a little more -- gawd I love coffee... -- um...?

Those concerned with the potential reduction (each model is different) in strength by removing the inner roof panel.

I haven't seen a similar concern with removing the wall panels?
It's way more likely to get T-boned than rolling over...
For that matter -- now that I've removed a dozen seats -- they're not just heavy -- they're heavy duty! -- like a fricking roll cage heavy duty being bolted to the chair-rail as they are, they massively increase the strength of that chair-rail.

Oh, and Brokedown -- I do realize this is a complete derailing of your thread -- if you'd like me to make this post a different thread I'll be happy to delete this and do so.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #140
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 2,698
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My seats were nearly 50 pounds each, more than half of it was steel weight. I won't say that it adds required structural strength but there's no denying the bus is stronger with them than without them. Same as the walls, same as the ceiling...
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×