Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Putting the roof deck on a diet: non-load-bearing surfaces?

My current roof deck is constructed from 2" x 6" TREX decking. It looks great, it's tough and...it weighs a lot. TREX of this size weighs around 3.3 lbs per linear foot (specific gravity of .93...please let me know if I'm off). The deck runs the length and nearly the width of the bus.

I'm considering scaling down the TREX portion to a central catwalk, and replacing the rest with something that will provide shade and not fly off while going down the road. I still need to walk up there to access two Thule cargo carriers and to tilt solar panels. At first I was considering expanded sheet metal. Now I'm thinking corrugated fiberglass or corrugated metal. Can corrugated fiberglass take the rare 60mph burst of speed? It would be screwed down every 27" or so lengthwise.
Thoughts?

Thanks
Sean

Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Putting the roof deck on a diet: non-load-bearing surfaces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
When I put my deck on it will be with bleachers that a school has replaced, I have a source in Houston so when the time comes I hope he still has them maybe by summers end I will make the trip and call before I go since he can make more selling it for scrap
Aluminum bleacher seat sections would be perfect! Sadly I have no connections that would have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
you put a lot of money on your deck and it looks like you do not drive it that much so why the change...
That's a good question. One reason is that I'll be towing a motorycle trailer next time I move, which I have not done before, and I'd like to lose some weight elsewhere to make up for it. Another reason is that I worry about the weight of the deck so far up, and given my relatively short wheelbase, I worry about stability if I should ever have to do an evasive maneuver or find myself too fast for a corner. These aren't really GREAT reasons, but they're what I've got!

Thanks for the feedback so far.
Sean
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

We've kicking around the idea of what we are going to use for the deck. In town they manufacture this product called
Thru-Flow decking. It's light weight, made of plastic (many colours to choose from) snaps together and screws down. We are hoping to buy some seconds (small flaws, off colour pieces) I don't know what they are worth yet, but'll look into it since I will need to find out anyways.
Heres the Linkhttp://thruflow.com/
Follow my build up here https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skoolies/Slab_Cabn
Or join the facebook group Friends of the Slab Cab'n https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2145574&ref=ts
CVanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Skoolie

We used expanded metal with 1 1/4" square tubing for the frame. For attaching we used Quik-n-Easy brackets which clip to those raingutter brackets sold by Thule or Yakima. It may not sound like a very strong setup, but having used this style many other times always in very demanding situations I have faith. Our deck will be for carrying canoes, kayaks or for drinking and relaxing or sleeping under the stars. It's 7'6" wide and 10' long weighing in at maybe 100-125lbs.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36

Reprobate, can you post a picture of your setup with the clamps and brackets(if it's not too much trouble)? I'd like to see if that's a viable solution for me as well...Thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks for the continued feedback.
Reprobate's fine deck can be seen here:

and