Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Almost There

PVC/Plastic Sub Floor?

So I was thinking of what to use as my base for the bus floor.

Most people just lay 1/2 or 3/4 plywood as the first layer, then add runners, more insulation and then a higher quality flooring before laying the final product I think.

What if you used that PVC or shower stall type paneling as that first layer? Its 100% water proof and your putting Plywood over it anyway?

Just think of it as a way to 100% waterproof the floor from below but not if thats necessary?

PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Almost There

A few arguments for plywood:

1) It's super cheap.

2) It's not brittle like PVC and will hold up to vibration (from driving) much better.

3) It's easy to cut with inexpensive tools. Home Depot/Lowe's will even cut 4'x8' sheets for you in the store.

I don't think waterproofing the floor from underneath is necessary. The very bottom level steel floor (whatever was on the bus when you pulled up the rubber floor) already serves that purpose. You shouldn't be getting much water coming up from under the bus anyway, probably just what comes off the wheels when you drive in the rain.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
We are laying 3/4 inch plywood in ours.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Bus Nut

When I work on these, we do 1/2 inch foam board, half inch ply, then add the flooring. We tape all joints in the foam and stager the ply joints so they don't fall on top of the foam joints. It makes for a more stable floor. Also, we run the flooring 90 degrees to the plywood joints so no flooring joints fall on top of the plywood joints. Usually, we lay the ply across the bus floor and run the flooring down the length of the bus.

I have done 1/4 inch foil faced foam board foil side up, 7/16 OSB smooth side up, and glued down vinyl roll flooring. I did this to keep as much interior height as possible. A few years back, I saw on another forum where a guy laid 1/2 inch foam down, then 1/4 inch underlayment, and glued down vinyl roll flooring.

I do advise against using adhesive backed vinyl squares or strips. Every time I have seen these used, they peel up in hot weather (90F+) and really cold weather (below 40F).
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
When I work on these, we do 1/2 inch foam board, half inch ply, then add the flooring. We tape all joints in the foam and stager the ply joints so they don't fall on top of the foam joints. It makes for a more stable floor. Also, we run the flooring 90 degrees to the plywood joints so no flooring joints fall on top of the plywood joints. Usually, we lay the ply across the bus floor and run the flooring down the length of the bus.

I have done 1/4 inch foil faced foam board foil side up, 7/16 OSB smooth side up, and glued down vinyl roll flooring. I did this to keep as much interior height as possible. A few years back, I saw on another forum where a guy laid 1/2 inch foam down, then 1/4 inch underlayment, and glued down vinyl roll flooring.

I do advise against using adhesive backed vinyl squares or strips. Every time I have seen these used, they peel up in hot weather (90F+) and really cold weather (below 40F).
Thanks. Good info.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

don't mean to steal the thread, but its time I up date the flooring in my bus, have plywood now, might use vinyl click type planks, but was wondering how they wood hold up in the winter during cold storage -30
tks
gbstewart
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Thanks. Good info.

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
don't mean to steal the thread, but its time I up date the flooring in my bus, have plywood now, might use vinyl click type planks, but was wondering how they wood hold up in the winter during cold storage -30
tks
gbstewart
I can't say. I've never been in that cold of weather before. I would allow for expansion and contraction of the flooring. It may help to lay in the flooring after the walls are in and allow about 3/16 inch for expansion and contraction. The gap can be covered with small baseboards. I have used 1/2 x 3 furring strips attached to the wall with a bit of PL (liquid nails) and 3/4 inch finish/trim nails. It also gives a finished homey look. They can be prepainted outside the bus. Then installed and a quick touch up over the nails with paint.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Almost There

If you want water proof floors I have a better option for you

Look up a product called advantex
It’s cheap, easy to get, and easy to work with
It’s a subfloor product
And it’s 100% water proof

I’ve been using it for years
Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you want a waterproof floor why not put down a big continuous roll of linoleum? Instead of trimming the floor covering to the edge of the floor, allow the flooring to ride up the wall about 4". That will keep any spilled liquids from getting under your flooring.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
A metal floor is waterproof. You just need to mitigate sweating/condensation. That can be accomplished by using marine grade plywood over a well coated metal surface ( i.e. rustproof the metal first.)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Pressure treated plywood causes accelerated corrosion of any steel fasteners in contact with the wood. I would hesitate using it in a bus.

http://www.ggashi.com/wordpress/wp-c...-Corrosion.pdf

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger that. Pressure treated, especially the new stuff, eats metal. Even requires specially treated fasteners. Marine ply...no problemo.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
Almost There

I working with a coach so mine doesnt have the metal floor.

I have plywood and then vinyl flooring to remove but on some areas like the luggage bays the plywood is open to the bays underneath.

I was thinking maybe just truck bed liner them from underneath and seal it that way?
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
If you want water proof floors I have a better option for you

Look up a product called advantex
It’s cheap, easy to get, and easy to work with
It’s a subfloor product
And it’s 100% water proof

I’ve been using it for years
Have you been using it in buses?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Have you been using it in buses?

No in houses, but I don’t see how it would be any different.
It’s 4x8 sheets 3/4” thick
Completely impervious to water
Old 02-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
No in houses, but I don’t see how it would be any different.
It’s 4x8 sheets 3/4” thick
Completely impervious to water
Are we talking about Advantech? Supposedly waterproof OSB? There's a guy who builds houses has a YouTube channel named Matt Risinger who swears by the stuff. I watch him, so I've heard of it. No opinion either way.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #17
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Are we talking about Advantech? Supposedly waterproof OSB? There's a guy who builds houses has a YouTube channel named Matt Risinger who swears by the stuff. I watch him, so I've heard of it. No opinion either way.

YES that’s the stuff
It’s truly amazing stuff